DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many guys with turbo builds are out there? id like to pick your brains :teacher: :)

i wanted to find a 95 dohc 5 speed neon and turbocharge it. i was curious as to if you used kits, made the system yourself, or think its completely useless LOL

i really like the neon, and i just want to surprise some ricers and possibly somethings that are a little more powerful ;)

Daily driver ofcourse, but it'll be stripped minus the front seats, dash etc...all go and no show kinda deal.

thanks guys,

Dominick

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
Dominick: You will have to look into that motor first! You have a 95 Neon Dohc that has to have a ton of miles on it.

Turbo is nice as long as your engine internals can handle it. With the year of your car and no rebuild your car will not last with all the extra stress on it. Thats my.02

There is more to it than just slapping on a turbo kit and givin it hell. If it's not tuned right it can blow you engine sky high.

2.4L engine swaps are done all the time now. There is an extra 30ftlbs of torque to be gained with it. Just imagine the 2.4 in your car would be equal to about a 35hp shot of nitrous on that 2.0 motor. Did I mention that the 2.4 can be built up with SRT-4 internals which would be the best bet if you wanted turbo. You may even make more power than a stock SRT-4. You already have a lighter car! lttr

·
Neon bug bites again
1,272 Posts
You could get a Hahn kit but, i don't know if their made anymore so you would probably have to get used, or you can build the system your self and run it with a mega squirt stand alone engine management system. Or you could do as ACR98 said and go with the built 2.4 turbo, and use all the srt-4's turbo components, you would still need the mega squirt unless you get the ngc 2.4 block.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, im still around. ive just been very busy helping my father start his restaurant!

What were the differences between the eclipse engine and the 2.0 used in the neon? a friend had mentioned that they were similar. i dont mind doing a full build at all, im kind of into it for the different aspect... i dont follow the same path as others haha

an SRT4 swap would be cool, but how much is an SRT 4 driveline and engine? would it really be a huge savings? im sure as far as installation and modification yes, but as far as $wise?

Dom

·
Neon Master Mechanic
1,090 Posts
LOL ACR I just noticed you quoted my "a 2.4 is like a 2.0 w/ a 35 shot" LOL.

The Eclipse head/motor is not just like the Neon one. The exhaust on an eclipse is on the front; Neon is in the back. They are flipped 180 degrees. Can't use it or parts off it so get that out of your head if it's in there lol.

Dom the cheapest way to get forged internals is to go with SRT rods and Pistons. They are almost 1/2 the price of Weisco / Eagle rods / pistons.

So you can take those and put them in a pre '02 2.4 block and there is your bottom end. A SRT Turbo + manifold (they are one piece) can be had for around $200+ bucks.

Then you would need some way to control your fuel. Few options there: Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR for short) or a piggyback fuel computer (MegaSquirt or my favorite AEM FIC).

Of course there are all sorts of other little things like getting a Walboro fuel pump in your gas tank, selecting an intercooler that would work, getting your piping made, adding the appropriate gauges (boost, pyrometer, wideband, oil press) etc etc.

Lots to think about and even more to read up on I am sure.

The easiest way to do it would be to buy a Hahn Turbo kit. However it is cheaper to piece parts together on your own but more time consuming and you really need to know what you are doing. :)

Good luck.

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
LOL @ TX! What? What? lol

A bone stock Neon ACR will smoke the everyday ricer. Mine did! By every day ricer I mean kids with a bone stock engines and a bad sense of style! rotflmao Like people with huge aluminum wings and 30 stickers thrown about. Hahaha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.