DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a nice 2004 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab for about 6.3k and It has 185k almost 186k miles on it. I have never owned a dodge before. Its a nice vehicle and winter is coming and need something 4x4. and then some. is this RAM worth getting with the miles it has on it?

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Diesel or gas?

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
And how much $$ are they asking for it? If it's under $10k, it's an ok deal, depending on if it has a Hemi or Cummins....that will affect the longevity as well.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
If it's a Cummins it's a freakin' steal. And if you don't buy it, I will lol

·
Registered
161 Posts
Gas vs. diesel is subjective. Sure a diesel motor is praised for going more miles that a gas engine but honestly, I've seen 500k miles on both. It's all in the maintenance and treatment of the vehicle. The problem with high mileage vehicles is that you don't have a history to know if it was babied or treated like a rented mule. Also, even if it is a diesel, you still have 185k miles on every other moving part and that is what can break you. Just having to rebuild the cooling system and AC system can cost as much as if not more that replacing an engine and/or transmission. PS pump, alternator, electrical issues, front end work, shocks, wheel bearings and etc. - see where I'm going with this? Dodge's are known for the truck falling out from under the drivetrain so I would very carefully inspect everything.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Agree. No matter which engine (gas or diesel) the suspension components (ball joints, shocks, bearings, tie rods, etc), water pump, PS pump, alternator, exhaust, etc are probably near or at their expected life. Though to be fair, I've only replaced one alternator in my last 3 MoPars (all EEK's - Two Acclaims and one GTS) that collectively had over 800K miles. More than likely it will be the little crap that will nickel and dime you to death.

I've had several vehicles where the engine and transmission were fine with over 200K miles but the rest of it fell apart around them. :bawl:

But who knows. You might get lucky and have found a truck that will go another 200K miles. If the price is right (ie: low enough) it might make it worth buying.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
I'd check out the Longevity Threads. You'll be surprised at some of the mileage numbers. Some of high mileage guys still race every weekend.

:)

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Gas vs. diesel is subjective. Sure a diesel motor is praised for going more miles that a gas engine but honestly, I've seen 500k miles on both. It's all in the maintenance and treatment of the vehicle. The problem with high mileage vehicles is that you don't have a history to know if it was babied or treated like a rented mule. Also, even if it is a diesel, you still have 185k miles on every other moving part and that is what can break you. Just having to rebuild the cooling system and AC system can cost as much as if not more that replacing an engine and/or transmission. PS pump, alternator, electrical issues, front end work, shocks, wheel bearings and etc. - see where I'm going with this? Dodge's are known for the truck falling out from under the drivetrain so I would very carefully inspect everything.
It's not subjective when the motor alone is worth $6,000. Go price a 5.9 Common Rail motor with accessories, turbo, manifold, fuel injection pump and ECM all included. You won't touch one for less than that. And, if by chance he has a 48RE automatic, add even more to what he could sell it for. Again, go price a 48RE core and you'll find them for no less than $1500. That's simply for a stock transmission case, and one of the more difficult to find.

So I go back to my original statement, for $6,300 (if it's a diesel, which I highly doubt), I'll buy it if he doesn't.

To me, it sounds like the guy is looking for a truck to drive around - not a pavement princess to put in a magazine. With that being said, I'd take a 185,000 mile diesel over a gas motor any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The rest of the truck may be a POS, but motor will affect price.

That's reflected in any used vehicle classified ad.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would personally look for something with less miles. but if you have a budget than options may be limited.

i bought my truck used and only had 39000 k on her! but even than I didnt know what the treatment was. its a gamble.

things to look for or what i look for are oil drips on the ground, oil below engine covering stuff. oil to me is a big thing. Other things i look at obviously are cosmetic. but its a good inticator if he took care of it. someone may not care about cosmetic but mechanically babied it too. if the truck looks fairly clean, somewhat clean engine bay and no crazy wear on the tires than might be an ok vehicle. take out the dip stick to see if it smells normal. not burnt or not sweet. check the tranny dip stick to see a nice redish colour and again no strong burn smells. also check the stance of the truck. is it sitting weird? indicating a frame issue or body issue?

steering wheel nice and tight especially over bumps. listen for any rattles, clunking noise.

if it feels solid and engine sounds pretty smooth than go for it!!!

Good luck

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Ok if Im reading this right they want $6,300 for this 2004 2500 with 186K miles. It is definately priced right. If the interior and body are in good shape and you dont mind putting some money into it down the road I would say go for it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's not subjective when the motor alone is worth $6,000. Go price a 5.9 Common Rail motor with accessories, turbo, manifold, fuel injection pump and ECM all included. You won't touch one for less than that. And, if by chance he has a 48RE automatic, add even more to what he could sell it for. Again, go price a 48RE core and you'll find them for no less than $1500. That's simply for a stock transmission case, and one of the more difficult to find.

So I go back to my original statement, for $6,300 (if it's a diesel, which I highly doubt), I'll buy it if he doesn't.

To me, it sounds like the guy is looking for a truck to drive around - not a pavement princess to put in a magazine. With that being said, I'd take a 185,000 mile diesel over a gas motor any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The rest of the truck may be a POS, but motor will affect price.

That's reflected in any used vehicle classified ad.

Correct. If he is buying a PARTS truck that is a heck of a deal. If he is buying a DAILY DRIVER it doesn't matter.

·
The White Collar Redneck
1,807 Posts
I am dubious that it could be a diesel at $6300.

My friend sold his '05 F350 4x4 ECSB Lariat, with 170K on it, 6.0 diesel, for $14K; thats not far off in the mileage department. Granted, a Ford truck is better built than a Dodge, and they also have higher resale values (arguably). But in this region, an '04 Cummins with 186K is at least a $10K truck; all day and half the night. That is almost regardless of condition...

You really have to go and take a look at it, and evaluate the condition. Is it rusty? Was it maintained? If it shows well, and appears to at least be reasonably well maintained, plan on fluid changes, and probably some front suspension work.

If its a hemi truck, it nowhere near the bargain it'd be with a diesel.

I often find that looking inside the engine, either via an oil fill, removing a VC, etc, is an excellent way to judge service intervals on the engine. If its clean in there, I would not be afraid. If its sludgy, then it was neglected.

There are plenty of guys who maintain their stuff, but also drive ALOT. If the engine was maintained (assuming its a hemi), I'd say you have another 70K in it, no problem. I probablky wouldn't recommend beating on it, but...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.