DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Rooster1828
252 Posts
dodge3471 said:
You're correct. During normal part throttle and light to medium load driving the ECU will adapt and maintain stoichiometric AFR (around 14.7:1) but during heavy loads and WOT it will be leaner than it was originally calibrated.
So is a CAI on a HEMI a waste of money?

·
StreetRods Rule
482 Posts
dodgeboy0299 said:
also when i got the new engine it was only a short block, they reuse oil pan, heads, water pump, I think oil pump (not sure), and injectors, intake, and so on. Only new parts are Block, pistons, crank, rods, bearings, and rings. Used old cam, lifters, push rods. I also i'm not very happy with service work I had numerous bolts loose or barely snug, mostly on the top of Tranny. Just thought it was sloppy work. That is why i'd rather work on it myself.
sorry didnt read down far enough... i cant believe they used the old parts in a rebuild, on such a new truck.. sounds like shitty DC work to me.. i would say time to get a good lawyer involved..

headers/cai will not void your warrantee.. i dont care what anyone says about air/fuel ratios and such... headers and cai doesnt change it enough to lean out an engine bad enough to smoke it... i would say a bad harness/injectors fuel rail blockage/ something is wrong with the fuel system on that side of the engine

·
StreetRods Rule
482 Posts
dodge3471 said:
Dealers are independently owned and operated and there is no way I would even begin to speak for all of them. I do know that if you install a Stage 1 kit on your SRT-4 that you void your warranty for certain powertrain failures. Just because it's a Mopar dealer installed part doesn't mean that there are no warranty related issues. You really need to read the fine print on these things. Long story short, this guy modded his truck and failed two engines within 5000 miles of each other and his dealer refused to warranty the second one. All I'm saying is that in my experience as a dynamometer operator the mods that he has will cause an engine to run lean and oversparked. You can take it or leave it, it's up to you and your dealer if a problem arises.
if you look at the pics of his heads you would see, he is not running lean

·
Registered
300 Posts
dodgeboy0299 said:
Thanks for all the info, I just want to get it fixed and sell it. I want to get a Cummins my dad has had 5 different trucks not to mention his Dump truck, back-hoe, and dozer with this engine and I should of just listened to him, because you can't beat Diesel power. Don't get me wrong the Hemi is a damn good runner empty, but put a load behind it and your just wondering were the hell did my 345 horse go. I'm just mostly upset because I know I'll have a hard time selling it with 2 bad engines, 3 power steering pumps, and me being 21 doesn't help matters. Even though the inside and out are still like showroom condition. I may beat on her every know and then but it's allways clean.
Oh to answer some questions: I have always ran Mobil 1 10W-30, changed every 3-4,000 miles, Never sprayed it even though i wanted to, I to have wondered about injectors or oil problems, I usually get gas at the same station which is probably going to stop, and I have towed alot of things usually my buddys Mustang or tractors, but nothing over 8,000 lbs. I also have towed numerous FORD and Chevy's backwards if that may of caused the problems, Must of ate to many. Even though i had three bad pistons it still ran pretty damn good. Well I'll keep you updated thanks again. And if anybody has torque specs it would help me out alot. Or how much compression it is suppose to have. I had around 155 psi at the other 5 I figured that was probably good.
Pardon me for bringing up the obvious, but doesn't the 5.7 HEMI engine specify 5W-30 oil, instead of the 10W-30 that you are running?

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
my oil filler cap says 5w-30. 04 hemi

·
Kasey Kahne #9
6,013 Posts
dodgeboy0299 said:
Thanks for all the info, I just want to get it fixed and sell it. I want to get a Cummins my dad has had 5 different trucks not to mention his Dump truck, back-hoe, and dozer with this engine and I should of just listened to him, because you can't beat Diesel power. Don't get me wrong the Hemi is a damn good runner empty, but put a load behind it and your just wondering were the hell did my 345 horse go. I'm just mostly upset because I know I'll have a hard time selling it with 2 bad engines, 3 power steering pumps, and me being 21 doesn't help matters. Even though the inside and out are still like showroom condition. I may beat on her every know and then but it's allways clean.
Oh to answer some questions: I have always ran Mobil 1 10W-30, changed every 3-4,000 miles, Never sprayed it even though i wanted to, I to have wondered about injectors or oil problems, I usually get gas at the same station which is probably going to stop, and I have towed alot of things usually my buddys Mustang or tractors, but nothing over 8,000 lbs. I also have towed numerous FORD and Chevy's backwards if that may of caused the problems, Must of ate to many. Even though i had three bad pistons it still ran pretty damn good. Well I'll keep you updated thanks again. And if anybody has torque specs it would help me out alot. Or how much compression it is suppose to have. I had around 155 psi at the other 5 I figured that was probably good.
per haynes repair manual (just got from pepboys today, pure luck).

compression for hemis.. "not available, but pressure should not vary more than 40 psi between cylinders"

4.7 v8 min. 170 psi, max var. 40psi
5.9 and 8.0l v10 min. 100, max var. 40psi

also.. recomended oil hemis 2004-earlier 5w30.. 2005 5w-20

what torque specs you need.. i maybe able to answer for you (that is if the book has it).

·
Banned
2,489 Posts
Rooster1828 said:
So is a CAI on a HEMI a waste of money?
No, most people report a significant performance gain with most CAI kits but they will cause a slightly leaner that calibrated condition during heavy loads and WOT.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I wonder what kind of oil filter Dodgeboy was using.

·
Registered
614 Posts
i ran royal purple 30w and put mine through hell and back many days at the track and the cam and pistons were great at 35k when i replaced all of them will bullet proofs and a new proformance cam and a turbo

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I already got it up and running this past weekend, I found Torque specs and sequence on Hemitruckclub.com and I figured the last motor went running 5W-30 so I went to 10W-30 synthetic because of this summer being so hot, and My oil filter is a FL-1A motorcraft it's about twice the size. The only problem i have is the Damn CEL is on again. the dealership is going to check it wednesday for me. Other than that it only set me back about a week and $400 bucks. For the piston, rod, rings, wrist pin, and bearings assembled ready to install was only $60. Cheap I thought. It would of been about 70 bucks cheaper but I broke the end off the crank sensor. Now it's time to sell, any buyers!

I am selling my headers, programmer, and CAI cheap though. Name your price.

·
Banned
2,489 Posts
dodgeboy0299 said:
I already got it up and running this past weekend, I found Torque specs and sequence on Hemitruckclub.com and I figured the last motor went running 5W-30 so I went to 10W-30 synthetic because of this summer being so hot, and My oil filter is a FL-1A motorcraft it's about twice the size. The only problem i have is the Damn CEL is on again. the dealership is going to check it wednesday for me. Other than that it only set me back about a week and $400 bucks. For the piston, rod, rings, wrist pin, and bearings assembled ready to install was only $60. Cheap I thought. It would of been about 70 bucks cheaper but I broke the end off the crank sensor. Now it's time to sell, any buyers!

I am selling my headers, programmer, and CAI cheap though. Name your price.
Did the block need to be bored or just honed?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Just honed

61 - 75 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.