DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those who have installed straight through fiberglass mufflers (such as magnaflows), how long/ miles did it take for the sound to get louder or the tone to change ?

· Registered
111 Posts
I usually start to notice a difference after a couple hundred miles.

· TRICK TURBO
3,877 Posts
drno said:
for those who have installed straight through fiberglass mufflers (such as magnaflows), how long/ miles did it take for the sound to get louder or the tone to change ?
took mine about 15k behind a set of long tubes. sounds badass but is allot louder

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's a big spread, a few hundred -15,000 miles. there have to be a lot of other members out there with experience considering the large #'s of packed mufflers installed in this group

· (_)& (_)& (_)&
507 Posts
this may sound stupid but i was thinking about reusing my 14" magnaflow, but pishing a pipe halfway down to shortcut and make the muffler in essence shorter/louder and kind of able to "tune" it. does that make sense? *chuckle*

· TRICK TURBO
3,877 Posts
drno said:
that's a big spread, a few hundred -15,000 miles. there have to be a lot of other members out there with experience considering the large #'s of packed mufflers installed in this group
you will get mixed answers just like anything else. i'd say depending on how much and how hard you drive determins how long til it "breaks in" or you could speed up the process get it hot and stick a water hose down the pipe.. just dont stand behind the pipe when it starts :thatfunny

· Valdez Racing Team
13,905 Posts
...my magnaflow started droning about 1k miles as well...lol

· Registered
167 Posts
drno said:
Well let me clear this up. We DO NOT Have Fiberglass in our mufflers. We use a Stainless Steel Mesh on the outside of the perforated tube. ANd then on the outside of that we use a NON Flamable Material Called Rockwool. Its a Ceramic Wool. Will not burn out or blow out. Usually takes 500 to 800 miles for that packing to heat up and settle down.

· Registered
167 Posts
06ramhemi said:
you will get mixed answers just like anything else. i'd say depending on how much and how hard you drive determins how long til it "breaks in" or you could speed up the process get it hot and stick a water hose down the pipe.. just dont stand behind the pipe when it starts :thatfunny
:huh: By doing this it will void the LIFETIME Warranty of this muffler. Not Recommended.

· TRICK TURBO
3,877 Posts
MagnaFlowRep said:
:huh: By doing this it will void the LIFETIME Warranty of this muffler. Not Recommended.
just pokin fun works well on glasspaks.. i'm running the 12288 behind pacesetter lt's and mine is just now starting to get the deep growl i mentioned. and no i didnt stick a waterhose in the pipe.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
should have said " packed " mufflers as my question was not intended to be directed to fiberglass , steel , or ceramic. did not intend to step on anyones toes. by the way the magnaflow website only says acoustical fibers-no mention of type

· Valdez Racing Team
13,905 Posts
MagnaFlowRep said:
Well let me clear this up. We DO NOT Have Fiberglass in our mufflers. We use a Stainless Steel Mesh on the outside of the perforated tube. ANd then on the outside of that we use a NON Flamable Material Called Rockwool. Its a Ceramic Wool. Will not burn out or blow out. Usually takes 500 to 800 miles for that packing to heat up and settle down.
Hey Chris, thanks for chiming in... I have a question for you, when i first got my truck the first mod i did was a 3" SI/SO magnaflow (i forget the model) and had it exit behind the rear tire, after a while it began to drone in the cab about 2k rpm's. it got to the point that it was unbearable to have a conversation while driving. I am now considering changing my current Flow setup (SI/DO) to a DI/DO muffler. Which muffler in your lineup (considering the mods I have below) would you suggest? And, will it drone?

thanks...

fred

· Registered
167 Posts
chefred112 said:
Hey Chris, thanks for chiming in... I have a question for you, when i first got my truck the first mod i did was a 3" SI/SO magnaflow (i forget the model) and had it exit behind the rear tire, after a while it began to drone in the cab about 2k rpm's. it got to the point that it was unbearable to have a conversation while driving. I am now considering changing my current Flow setup (SI/DO) to a DI/DO muffler. Which muffler in your lineup (considering the mods I have below) would you suggest? And, will it drone?

thanks...

fred
Drone commonly occurs whenever an upgrade is done to a vehicle’s exhaust system. Typically increasing pipe diameter and the use of a performance muffler will cause this. Also the use of intakes, header, high flow converters and programmers will contribute to drone. Any modification that change exhaust gas velocity will increase the level of sound the system produces inside and outside the vehicle. You can reduce drone by upgrading to a larger muffler or adding an additional muffler or resonator. This will not impact the vehicles performance but will help quiet it down.

Using a Dual In Dual Out Muffler will cause you to lose low end torque. If you use a larger body muffler like a 5x11x22 it will help calm down the tone. I cant say though that it will cut it completely out. Sound is very Subjective.

· Valdez Racing Team
13,905 Posts
MagnaFlowRep said:
Drone commonly occurs whenever an upgrade is done to a vehicle’s exhaust system. Typically increasing pipe diameter and the use of a performance muffler will cause this. Also the use of intakes, header, high flow converters and programmers will contribute to drone. Any modification that change exhaust gas velocity will increase the level of sound the system produces inside and outside the vehicle. You can reduce drone by upgrading to a larger muffler or adding an additional muffler or resonator. This will not impact the vehicles performance but will help quiet it down.

Using a Dual In Dual Out Muffler will cause you to lose low end torque. If you use a larger body muffler like a 5x11x22 it will help calm down the tone. I cant say though that it will cut it completely out. Sound is very Subjective.
Thanks for the info Chris...The DI/DO issue with losing low end tq can be subjective as well. I can see this on a stock vehicle where you need more efficient exhaust velocity. But as more performance modifications occur, a need for a more free flow system to accept the higher exhaust velocity is required....I mean, the higher the hp, shouldn't you effectively increase velocity on both ends?

fred

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.