Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Who has the 8spd trans and how is it? Looking at a 5.7 with the 8spd. How well does it hold up to power and what is the max power through it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 8speed trans is great, I use to have a 2010 withe 5 speed and this new transmission is much much better, better acceleration, better fuel consumption, better towing. I'm not sure of the power but in city driving I get between 650 to 750 km's and that's driving it not putting around like an ol'geezer. On the highway it's an easy 900 km's. Towing too is much better, it stays in the lower rpm's. I've noticed a huge difference, I think dodge has done a great job with this new transmission. Go out and try one I definitely recommend it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
It's great. My first experience with it was in my last Charger. The it made a V6 car, accelerate like the previous model V8. When I traded that for my current Charger, and my last Ram for the current Ram, I made it a point to look for models with the 8 spd (both are 5.7L with 8 spd).
The extra gears seem to be more efficient when you're cruising, but keep you in the power when your driving "spirited". Best of both worlds. FWIW, in my truck, I've had no issues with hauling any loads, or pulling any grades. It's possible the power alone of the 5.7L is the main reason for that, but the point is the transmission had no issues handling/adjusting for conditions, which is what you asked about. Long story short, I like it and have to agree that Dodge did a great job with it.

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
i had that tranny in my last truck loved it

·
Registered
331 Posts
The ZF-8 speed has 20% less parasitic loss than the RFE 5-6 speed. It is more efficient and the ratios between gears is much better than the RFE.

The 8 speed is pretty much the standard all other manufactures have to try and match.

·
Registered
822 Posts
The ZF has been used overseas for some time now. Bout time Dodge stepped up with a quality tranny. Now they new to re-fit about 15 million older Dodge to restore trust in an American product.

·
2014 1500 4x4 Laramie CC
431 Posts
Awesome. Super awesome. You're crazy if you buy a 13+ truck without it. Really nice bump in gas mileage and way smoother. Plus I really like the dial shift now that I'm used to it.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Mine actually shifts rough in the morning, hangs on gears and seems to hunt until warmed up fully. Anyone else notice this? Or is this a trip to the dealer I should take. It has 11k on the odometer. When its warmed up, or if I just get on it, it's awesome and smooth. I'm wondering if maybe mine came out of the crate low on fluid.

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
No similar issues here, though I've only got about 8K on mine. Might be worth getting that looked at, it doesn't sound normal.

·
Texas RAM Dude
3,643 Posts
Get it! It's awesome sir.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Agree with everyone else, it's awesome, especially if you're going from a 5 speed to the 8...night and day difference for sure.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I only have 2.5K on my Sport so I haven't really tromped on it a lot so I can't answer how well it handles lots of power. I would assume it works well. However it's the smoothest transmission I've had besides my wife's Mercedes. Seamless through gear changes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.