Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I had a 2003 Gen I durango for 5 years that I loved. Great motor (5.9 with K&N) good offroad, dependable and family friendly. The only down side of ownership was the aircon. I upgraded to a japanese compressor/ dryer etc but left the rest standard but quite frankly it was still cooler outside the car then in during summer especially if the car had been sitting in the sun for any time. ( I live in the middle east where it is already 100F and summer is yet to arrive)

We are looking at getting another 4WD for family use but my biggest concern is the aircon. I have been for a few test drives durning the cooler months and find the car nice to drive, easy for the kids to be in and looks good to. It seems not as good offroad as the GEN I but that wont be too big an issue as the 4WD areas are much more gentle where we are moving to. Americian 4WD's are much better value for money compared to nissans and land cruisers.

But with summer coming and the prospect of 3 months or more of +120F heat I need to know how good the aircon is. I would prefer to stay within the dodge fold but if the aircon is no good then i will be forced to go with a japanese 4WD. I have searched the forum but cant find the answers i need.
Cheers

·
Where is the snow?
4,118 Posts
With my old D, the AC was fine enough. Worked fine on 100+ days here. But sometimes it felt overwhelmed. It would take a bit of time to get cold.

·
Hemi User
1,719 Posts
It's like an ice box. I think it cools off fast. Just make sure you get one with the rear A/C unit also. Haven't been in 120° temps though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi, as you can see from my details I live in Abu Dhabi and own both a Gen I and a Gen II. (wife's) I've had the 2003 since new. It took me @ 3 years to get the AC figured out but on a 35 C day I have to keep the fan turned down as it just gets to cold! The key was finding a shop that knew how to service an AC, a few critical little mods and common sense that can be applied to any vehicle. In true desert driving I find the Gen I will beat the Gen II easily. Yes, you can take a Gen II offroad ( front air dam removed or a dune will do it for you ) but in soft dry sand the extra weight really shows.

In August, on a 45C day with 90% humidity, sitting in the sun for 6 hours, any large vehicle A/C will be challanged. The Gen II is definately better than the Gen I. There are other makes that are better but then you pay 50-100% more and you still sweat when you first get in them! You can find cooler but it's hard to find better value than a D. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.