DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm finally getting back into a truck! I'm so sick of this stupid Lexus IS. Anyway, a local small car dealership has a 2005 QC Power Wagon. Looks pretty stock. Its got about 80K miles. It has a softball sized dent on the front fender(paintless dent repair will fix it), minor tree branch scratches, and the tires will need to be replaced in the next 5K miles. Its also missing the winch. They said it was missing when they got the truck. They are asking $15,900. They said they would realistically sell it for "low teens." How does that sound to you guys? If they will give me a decent trade for my Lexus I think I'm gonna do it.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
got a vin on that PW? how about your lexus what is it and shape is it in I can plug the info into the dealer black book and see where you are at PM the info if you would prefer

Thanks

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
got a vin on that PW? how about your lexus what is it and shape is it in I can plug the info into the dealer black book and see where you are at PM the info if you would prefer

Thanks
I'm gonna go drive the truck tomorrow. I'll get the VIN, I'd like to check it on carfax as well. The Lexus has two small dents on the pass door. The rear bumper is wicked oxidized. Other then that, its perfect. They told me 7k - 17k for my Lexus over the phone. I'm thinking I'll give them the Lexus and 4K.

·
RedMan
2,487 Posts
looking at NADA the clean retail for that truck is $15.5K but you are saying it has dents, and also missing the winch, that alone is worth about $5K once the dents are removed and the winch is replaced. My suggestion is to look a little more as I have seen some great deals on Ebay over the last few months, IMO. Good luck in what ever you decide.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
any dealer that would give you a 10 thousand dollar window over the phone is giving you a warning. just watch yourself

·
RedMan
2,487 Posts
Go to Goggle and search for carfax, it will give you the website you need. looking at the pics it looks as if the tailgate has been replaced. If I looked at the pics correctly then both sides of the rear quarter panels are both banged up, which would mean that the tailgate should have been damaged, unless he had it off the truck at the time. IMO, it seems like you will need to give this PW a lot of TLC, I know how you are feeling right now as when I found mine it had damage to the driver side rear, but I went with my gut feeling and also gave it some TLC and made sure I went through the truck and fixed anything that looked worn. Spent about $2K on it and I think it was worth it. Anyway good luck.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
sent u a PM DONT LISTEN TO ME YET I didn't know the condition Or mileage difference. Load up some pics of the IS and vin/mileage. I'll put it to you this way. any imperfections on your car are now non existant based on looking at those pics BUT I think you could score a nice deal here if you play it right.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
forgot if you were told it had 80k on it and it has 93, that's strike one. did they tell you about the body? you might have to use the "salesman lied to me to get me in here" technique which is basically going to the manager "pissed off" and they will drop down to nothing

it's not on their site either they may have just got it in and they are probably planning on fixing the issues. may be an opportunity to get it cheap

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
looking at the pics it's obvious that the gate has been painted but It really doesn't look bad for a 100k mile truck. it's no 15,900 though

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I would suggest you give them your Lexus and 2000...

Without the winch, and realize that with gas prices down, truck values have still not really gone back up...
this is my feeling without knowing much about your lexus. who cares about your bumper when their truck is like that. why not try for this with PDR on the front fenders?

·
2006 PW Q/C #0026
779 Posts
BrandonSC,

I wish you the best of luck man- I know the feeling when you really want something and your all gung ho to go and get it. The truck is a little rough, not saying I wouldnt buy it, but the price would have to be right. The winch alone is a 2,300 dollar piece that is not accounted for in "their" price. If you look at other threads on here tires arent all that cheap either. figure $750 or so. There is a bit of body work/touch ups that could be done to have a "perfect truck." Its a p.w. so it doesnt have to be perfect but the dealer doesnt have to know that. My best advice would be to work a deal on the Wagon and worry about your trade when its done. Reading on the internet that seems to be the most frequent advice.
I personally would start by offering $10k for the wagon. Mileage/Condition/-Winch ect. As has already been stated the truck market isnt in great shape and the 4.56 gears arent going to be kind in the fuel department. Working a deal on the wagon and then work on your trade. If you have a car-max in the area and have the time take it past there and see how much they will offer you out right. Can you float having the car and truck while you try and sell the car? Let us know what ends up happening but make sure you use that crap to your advantage.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
he really needs to get the specs of the lexus on here and I'll look it up on manheim for him so he's got the negotiating power. sounds like he's got paint issues with the lexus but I can see what they are selling for at auction for him anyways. looking like he should be 10-11 on the PW. I was figuring a grand off for the winch anyways. I would get them to take out the fender dents but if they "fixed" the rear quarters they would probably just bondo them and that'd be worse. brandonSC you have a ton of negotiating room to get rid of the car and buy the PW right.

·
Code Red
2,612 Posts
Ouch, she's been used a little bit for sure. However, I agree with the others. They're going to need to be in the $10K - $12K range. A lot of those dents could probably be lovingly tapped out. The tires are close to gone. I'd be changing ALL the fluids right after purchase if it hasn't already been done.

Did they say anything about a rear end collision? Is it just the winch missing, or is it all the bracketry too?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lexus VIN # jthbd182010021326

The Lexus doesn't have "paint issues," only one. It has an oxidized bumper. The dealership I bought it from did a cheap paint job on it because of a scratch. The rest of the car is fine minus the two small dents on the pass door(small like door dings.) He is willing to give me 9K for the Lexus. Also, I don't owe anything on the Lexus, its paid off.

As far as the Power Wagon. Its not perfect, but it seems the pictures gave the impression its a klunker. Honestly, the engine is super clean(for 90K), the only flaws are the shown in the pictures. Nothing I wouldn't expect for a truck with almost 100,000 miles. I spent a good 30 minutes looking it over. The transmission is solid, no slop. Its still pretty quiet. No rattles or unusual noises. The brakes don't squeak. The sway bar disconnect and lockers function normally. The wheels don't have curb damage. I don't mind the dents really, easy enough to fix. The damage on both sides of the tailgate is the biggest issues I have with the truck.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ouch, she's been used a little bit for sure. However, I agree with the others. They're going to need to be in the $10K - $12K range. A lot of those dents could probably be lovingly tapped out. The tires are close to gone. I'd be changing ALL the fluids right after purchase if it hasn't already been done.

Did they say anything about a rear end collision? Is it just the winch missing, or is it all the bracketry too?
Yeah, I plan on changing all fluids. They didn't disclose any collision. The brackets are still there, as well as the wiring. Just no winch.

·
2006 PW Q/C #0026
779 Posts
BrandonSC,

If you make this deal happen on the PW does that mean you will join us in Moab in May?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
9k for the lexus is good money for it

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I bought my 05 PW with 37k on it in Sept of 07 for ~20k mark with everything it should and that annoying RB4 Navi/Sat radio.

I'm at like 63k on it now. lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.