DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
Well I don't what gears you have now but I changed my gears from 3.55 to 4.56. To me the truck feels like I have more power even though I didn't change anything to make more power. It doesn't take as long to get to speed anymore. I should add that I have 20" tires and with you having 35" I would definitely get the lowest gear you can find. If you have the 9.25 rearend then the losest of right now is the 4.56. But they are coming out with 4.88 sometime late this year. Which proably would be what you get with those tires. Your gas mileage will improve also.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Changing gears in your rear-end essentially shifts the power from one area to another, ex. moves power from low end to high end. All in all engines today work best at a certian RPM and engine load. The factory gears are set for the average driver. By changing your gears you can customize where you want your powerband based upon your driving habbits.

·
Registered
223 Posts
great post with good information... I have been reading alot about gearing. I have the stock 3.55 on my 05 1500QC Hemi 4x4 with stock 17" wheels. I was thinking about swapping out the 3.55 for the 4.56 gears.

My driving habits...mostly city driving, occasional highway. I dont off-road in this truck, thats what my 75 F250 if for. I tow a 7500lb camp trailer. Right now I am averaging 11-12mpg in the city... I havent had it on the freeway yet, so I dont know what I'm getting mpg wise there. I drive conservativly for the most part. I occasionally will drive a little crazy, only cause I like the sound of the HEMI and my exhaust. I ultimately want to increase mileage but not hurt performance.

Would the swap from 3.55 to 4.56 be a good thing or should I look at 4.10(if available). What would swapping to the 4.56 do in terms of low/high end power?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Would the swap from 3.55 to 4.56 be a good thing or should I look at 4.10(if available). What would swapping to the 4.56 do in terms of low/high end power?[/QUOTE]

If you're going to stay stock with the 17's and original tires (245/70-17) 4.56 would be to low (especially considering gas mileage). With original 17' setup I would say 3.92's.

Ask yourself about what possible alternation you might have on wheels and tires in the future. Base your gearing on the longterm prognosis. If you are considering twenty's in the future then consider 4.1's or 4.56's.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yea, I will end up going to larger wheel tire (20" wheel on 37" tire with 6" lift or 22" wheel with 305 street tire).

I was hearing alot of talk geared towards 4.56...

·
Registered
716 Posts
With a 37" tire it's almost mandatory to get 4.56's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.