DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a soft tonneau cover. But I'mwondering how you guys that have them secure a load with tie downs. Of course I mean when you roll the cover up. I assume that the rails cover the stake pockets.

So how do you guys do it? Or am I wrong about the pockets?

· Registered
804 Posts
well I do not have a tonneau but I also do not use the pockets to tie down with. I use the 4 corners of the bed on the bottom if I can. If I can't I tend to use my wheel wells and also the front of the bed to the back of the tailgate. But I do not use bungees I use rachet straps which tend to be longer and more stable then bungees. But if you need to just basically hold a load up to the front of your bed or soemthing you could go out and get as few of the things that go across the inside of your bed and tightens to the side of your bed.

· Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would you rather use your wheel wells than your stake pockets? Doesn;t that bend the sheet metal? I also use ratch straps as well.
I also have a hard plastic bed liner so I don't have any way to use the inside bottom corners. Are there hooks down there?

· Registered
2,172 Posts
djturnz said:
Why would you rather use your wheel wells than your stake pockets? Doesn;t that bend the sheet metal? I also use ratch straps as well.
I also have a hard plastic bed liner so I don't have any way to use the inside bottom corners. Are there hooks down there?
Yes. I have a hard plastic liner that came with the truck when I bought it, but it has 4 rubber plugs that are about 4" across that pop out of the front corners on the floor, and the back sides as well. There are hooks on the floor in the front on either side, and there are two on the sides of the bed near the back kind of near the tail lights that would be hidden by the bedliner unless it was specially made to include cut-outs for these hidden hooks.

I use them all the time with ratchet tie downs to secure loads, but I also use them in conjunction with the 4-point tie down hooks on my rails which you wouldn't have it you got a tonneau cover.

· Registered
804 Posts
well I got used to using my wheelwells b/c when I ahd my factory liner on it went over the top of the bedside. I did not have access to the stake pockets when my bedliner was on. And now that it is off (lost the clips for it) I just don't realize to use the stake pockets so I keep tyeing down as I always did. No there are no hooks or anything to put the straps on I just hook right to the sheetmetal there. I have not bent any sheetmetal while tying down or transporting anything yet. The only time I did bend it was when I fully loaded down my bed with plywood and strapped from the front of the bed to the back. I had to help assist a stuck tractor trailer and needed the weight. Well it was also on a hill and all the plywood slid against my strap and bent the front lip of my bed but everything stayed in place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.