DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Kaos AD
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do you fix a Low Catalyst Effiency Bank 1 code P0420 and po430 bank 2? parts list or links ?

Also the truck isn't starting in the mornings even tho it had always even in the below zero weather untill this started and the exhaust smells like fuel.
Do i clear the code now or wait till i hear what the fix is and perform the fix? will clearing it help for now? or hurt things?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I checked online and found a thread about this on another forum( GM one but OBD-II codes are the same and the scanners will tell you what is wrong so it should apply to you as well ). There was a mechanic who went into it in great detail on this exact set of codes and desciption and did a great job of explaning it all.

The specific codes you gave and the fuel smell were talked about in detail in his post. Basically the codes are thrown because the front and rear 02 sensor's are receiving the same exhaust gas readings. They should be different at the rear than at the front. The result is it throws the bad cat code.

Looks like a bad cat. The only fix is to replace the cat. Sorry. It is what I came up with anyway. You can go to this OBD-II web site and sign up and then get a breakdown of any codes if you wish. What that guy I talked about above posted made sense and he seemed to know what he was talking about though...

http://www.obdii.com

I've seen some miracle in a bottle products that claim if you run them through your throttle body or via a vacuum source( like Seafoam )it will clean the cat's and restore them to proper working order. Not sure if they would help in your case? Usually it is just to eliminate the rotten egg smell or is a temporary job to help pass emmissions.

Here are a few but I would say it is converter time for you...

http://www.autobarn.net/chcat-1.html

http://www.jcwhitney.com/CATALYTIC-...ER/GP_2000760_N_111+10201+600016835_10101.jcw

·
Kaos AD
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NHHEMI that is a fantastic site will share with others.
I thank you both very much so, and OneBadBee24_7 are you saying that I'd need to replace the converter and replace the sensors or replace the sensors in place of replacing the cats?
Heard of people going without cats, how would this be accomplished or is it worth it?
Thanks again brothers

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
NHHEMI that is a fantastic site will share with others.
I thank you both very much so, and OneBadBee24_7 are you saying that I'd need to replace the converter and replace the sensors or replace the sensors in place of replacing the cats?
Heard of people going without cats, how would this be accomplished or is it worth it?
Thanks again brothers
The codes you posted do not actually indicate bad 02 sensors. If that was the case there would be codes for them and the scanner would say which one it was( ie; O2 sensor bank 1 or bank 2 ). When I talked about the 02 sensors it was merely to explain how you got the codes you did. Is it possible they are bad and need replacing. I suppose so but they should throw an 02 sensor set of specific codes if that were the case and you have not indicated that. You have indicated only the cat failure codes.

According to the article I found on this situation if both 02 sensors are reading the same exhaust gas levels then the cat has failed and it throws the bad cat codes. When the cat is functioning properly the rear 02 sensor will read different exhaust gas levels/conditions than the front. Your codes indicate a failed cat and the only real fix for that is to replace it.

BTW, it is against Federal law to remove the cat even though I know people do it. Some states( CA, NY, MA, etc... )are really strict on that so make sure before you do it that you won't have inspection issues and/or be fined. I personally would not remove it altogether. As expensive as it will be I would replace the cat.

My suggestion on what to do for whatever it is worth. I would go to the dealer and show them the codes. If needed have them do their own check to see if it is in fact showing those codes and if they agree it means cat replacement? If so inquire if this is covered under warranty. There is a Federal law with minimum emmissions system warranty requirements on catalytic converters that all car mfg's MUST provide. I believe it is 8 years and 80K on vehicles newer than like 1995/96 +/-. I would assume this would apply to a 3/4 ton as well as a 1/2 ton. You have an 05 so if you are under 80K for mileage I would see if you can't get the cat replaced under warranty before doing anything else.

If that fails try and find a good condition used one. A new converter these days is going to be SCARY expensive from Dodge. I looked it up online, and while I couldn't get the part # for you I did find what retail price is on the 04-05 2500/3500 5.7L Cat = $1175.00( I could buy for $940 but that is still NUTS! )!!!! :rolleyes::YO::bawl: They even hit you with an additional $200 core charge until they get the old one back.

I would not run an aftermarket one however even though the OE is so expensive. Just too many issues with codes being thrown when they are run. Get an OE one new or used. JMO.

Good luck:tup:

Oh, almost forgot. Not to start anything with the member who posted above but I have actually had pretty good luck with the Bosch aftermarket 02 sensors.:dunno: I used to sell them even and I never really had any significant rate of return due to failure. Not 2 days ago I had to help my Brother replace the front 02 sensor on his 06 Ford Super Duty. The OE Ford one was like $90. WE got a Bosch one at Advanced Auto Parts for $43 and it went in fine and has worked fine( so far anyway ). Again, not to start anything but if you need 02 sensors I would not personally hesitate to use the Bosch ones and save a lot of $$$ over OE.

·
Kaos AD
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet, heading to stealership now

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
man dont waste your money......all you need is 2 spark plug non foulers and some steel wool. first pack one of the non foulers full of steel wool. then scre the O2 sensor into it, then screw that into the second (the non fouler without the steel wool) non fauler and then screw that into your exhaust. you have a bad cat. (the other guys are correct) and they are really expensive. espically in this economy, doing this trick will get the CEL to go away and will allow you to pass the OBD check for emissions. but you could still fail a tailpipe sniffer.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
You can also gut the CATs to make it look like you have then when in fact you won't

·
Kaos AD
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not so worried about emissions as truck performance and fuel usage. I have an appointment with dealership today at 4 they said $69 to diagnose then if cats are bad they'll try to cover it with warranty with me paying deductible of $100

The main reason for the recent scramble is If things go well I'll be having a three level disc replacement surgery soon replacing three disc with artificial units. Thus the need for reliable transpo,,,, and all the mods I can pull off in time allotted [email protected]! lol :rck::thatfunny

If it won't be under warranty I'll do as you've suggested. The double up thing is a first, does it matter what steel wool? Or just the grade we use in our dirt bike mufflers?

·
Kaos AD
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can also gut the CATs to make it look like you have then when in fact you won't
Doesn't that hurt the performance? Isn't the o2 sensor required for the puter to know what fuel mix is at?

·
1,965 Posts
Its the exact same as removing them. It just appears that they are still there. Your sensor will still be in the same place if you get a code then do the above mentioned non fouler mod. It will be fine.

·
Kaos AD
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
does it effect fuel mix?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Not so worried about emissions as truck performance and fuel usage. I have an appointment with dealership today at 4 they said $69 to diagnose then if cats are bad they'll try to cover it with warranty with me paying deductible of $100

The main reason for the recent scramble is If things go well I'll be having a three level disc replacement surgery soon replacing three disc with artificial units. Thus the need for reliable transpo,,,, and all the mods I can pull off in time allotted [email protected]! lol :rck::thatfunny

If it won't be under warranty I'll do as you've suggested. The double up thing is a first, does it matter what steel wool? Or just the grade we use in our dirt bike mufflers?
How many miles on your truck? If it is under the 80K you should not have to pay anything. There is no deductible on factory warranties that come with the vehicle. Do you by any chance have the original warranty booklet that came with the truck? If so look up the special cat warranty. IF your truck falls under it then no $100.

·
Kaos AD
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
38k and you were absolutely correct they are orsering o2 sensors and then will flash the pcm they also stated that a code 502? was running in the back and translated to low oil pressure 10 running times back(right about the time we had 38 below zero mornings two in a row) so they offered to oreder and install a block heater $65b for parts and at a guess $50 for labor. Parts should be in tomorrow.

stealership said it's covered on my extended warranty and ordered o2 sensors should be in tomorrow and once replaced they simply flash the pcm. Strangely though a code that did not show up on the SC 3815 was a 502 being low oil pressure and it also showed that 10 runs after were all good so it was probably on the 38 below zero morning trying to start the beast. Also ordered block heater $65 from them and about $50 to install once all parts are in I'll slide in for the repairs. I appreciate the tips and once the warranty is spent I think I'll look into exhaust upgrade.

·
1,965 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
38k and you were absolutely correct they are orsering o2 sensors and then will flash the pcm they also stated that a code 502? was running in the back and translated to low oil pressure 10 running times back(right about the time we had 38 below zero mornings two in a row) so they offered to oreder and install a block heater $65b for parts and at a guess $50 for labor. Parts should be in tomorrow.

stealership said it's covered on my extended warranty and ordered o2 sensors should be in tomorrow and once replaced they simply flash the pcm. Strangely though a code that did not show up on the SC 3815 was a 502 being low oil pressure and it also showed that 10 runs after were all good so it was probably on the 38 below zero morning trying to start the beast. Also ordered block heater $65 from them and about $50 to install once all parts are in I'll slide in for the repairs. I appreciate the tips and once the warranty is spent I think I'll look into exhaust upgrade.
Just so I understand this. The dealer checked the truck out for you and has determined that it is not the cat and is actually 02 sensors? Strange that the scanner you used showed the cat failure codes and not the 02 sensor codes. Oh well, in the end what matters is it is being fixed at no charge. Great for you. :tup:

Funny thing happened to me in this thread. My initial response to you was about 02 sensors until I read your post a little more closely and then researched it better. I edited it to the cat stuff. Ha! :thatfunny

·
Bad AZZ Silver Hemi
1,042 Posts
Stuff steel wool between the two non foulers on both sensors. Mine keep the code off and was in a ready stage for emmissions after about 50 miles.

·
Kaos AD
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok stealership is replacing them under warranty, do you feel there to be a benefit to useing the non foulers once o2 sensors are replaced?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.