Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Wondering how you guys that TOW cool your trans, I have a 05 Ram 1500 Daytona That I recentley purchased, I had a 03 1500 with a 4.7
I upgraded because I wanted more towing power, I noticed that with no load on the truck it runs anywhere from 110 to 140 degrees, with a load on(16ft enclosed tandem axle trailer with 6 motocross bikes and gear) the temps ran 280 + degrees. is this normal????? I was thinking about putting the PML deep pan on that will add 3 extra qts of fluid and it has external fins on the pan to help cool it. Are there any other suggestions on how to keep it cool while towing??(upgraded trans cooler?? if there is one?? electric fan?? fluid additives??)
We all know that the Trans is Dodges WEAK spot and I want to protect my investment

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Did you get the towing package with the truck?

It comes with a heat exchanger to cool off the trans fluid.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 03 quad cab 4x4 lonestar edition,i got the fold out mirrors,so i guess i have the towing pkg.,so i'l have that heat exchanger,right?

·
15,912 Posts
I have a 02 1500 4.7L and I tow a 5660lb travel trailer and my temps NEVER get that high, 200-215 tops. If you did not get the tow package in it, then you do not have a trans cooler and you should have one added or do it yourself. Adding the deep pan will lower the temps a couple of degrees, not enough to bring down the temps from 280+.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a trans cooler, its mounted in front of the radiator, someone metioned that maybe I need to change the diff gears to 410 or 456, stock are 392
I put a trans temp manifold in the line for the sender, could that be causing a flow problem??
again with no load it remains under 150, it is strange it will climb and the drop as if a fan went on ......maybe I have a bad cooler???
anyone know where I can get the specs for normal operating temp??
thanks,
John

·
15,912 Posts
Just for comparison...I have 3.55 gears. I have fluctuations in the temp when I am going up a hill as compared to driving on flats. But like I said, I never get to 280+.

·
Lovin that CTD!!!!!
345 Posts
I have 4.56 gears, when I am towing in Tow/Haul mode the trans will still unlock the TC. When this happens my temps skyrocket to 260*, if I manually pull it into 2nd then the temps fall just as fast. For some reason when the Tow/Haul is on, the tranny will still slip the TC. If you play around with pedal position while the temps are climbing you will feel the TC lock-up and the temps will fall. I have had the temp up to 260*+. Your dash mounted idiot light is designed to come on at approx. 275*. I am not sure where it gets its measurement from. I also have the temp manifold in-line from the trans to the cooler. I was told by my local tranny guy that the stock cooler should be adaquate for the trans. Also when the engine fan clutch kicks in you should see a drop in temps as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.