DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Hemi4Me
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to clean my engine compartment. What is the best method for washing it out? Do I need to cover anything up? Any precautions?

·
Tape On
829 Posts
At best your just dusting off the engine and compartment. There shouldn't be any major grime with an '04. I would, and have done, take it to a carwash and give it a once over with some soap and then rinse it. I wouldn't worry about covering anything, just don't go overboard on spraying it down. I've done it this way more than twice with good results.

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
:metoo:
67Cuda said:
At best your just dusting off the engine and compartment. There shouldn't be any major grime with an '04. I would, and have done, take it to a carwash and give it a once over with some soap and then rinse it. I wouldn't worry about covering anything, just don't go overboard on spraying it down. I've done it this way more than twice with good results.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's simple; Use Simple green. Spray liberally on your entire engine compartment, wait 5-10 minutes and hose off. Don't spray the hose directly on your distributor and you'll be fine.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
A good number of my vehicles have been used (including my Ram). I get out the previous owner's neglect with Simple Green, and may scrub areas that are particularly grimy. I'll use wheel cleaner for the painted surfaces (but make sure it's safe for painted wheels, alloy cleaner could do a number on the engine compartment), and tire dressing for the hoses and other rubber components (but not the belt!).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Black Magic's engine degreaser, then pressure wash..used this method on my old 94' Toyota, engine looks like it just came from the dealership, still runs like a pos though

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
everyone has good ideas about what to use to clean..
Just remember.. I would rather have the engine block COLD when spraying cold water on it. .02

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
those are good ideas. But, once you do that once, to get all of the nasty grime and crap out, then, each time you wash, just take the same rag you cleaned the interior with, like the dash, and door trim, etc. and then spray the same stuff, whether it be meguires plastic cleaner, armor-all (sp) (although I'm against armor-all) and then wipe down everything you can reach in the engine compartment and it stays pretty clean until the next wash, then do it again.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I have power washed "hot" motors all my life (and that's a long time) with no damages.
I guess it's not true by the posts here but I swear I read Simple Green is not good for rubber product meaning it rots rubber. If some of you have never had that problem it was probably just someone's opinion.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
fmdog44 said:
I swear I read Simple Green is not good for rubber product meaning it rots rubber. If some of you have never had that problem it was probably just someone's opinion.

I thought I read that too. I use simple green on my grill and wheels and tires, I just don't leave it on my tires too long because if I do, it turns the tires a brownish color. It looks like crap!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Once you get it clean, and it doesn't have to be super clean, while it's still wet spray entire area with armor all. Let it sit. It will look 10X better than new. Everythinig has a super clean gloss. You may on occasion have to dry up an area where water is sitting in crevices.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
As a minumum, cover the alternator if you use a degreaser. It doesn't take much to degrease bearings. I've had to change one due to this and there was recently another Ram owner on this forum who did the same thing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about cleaning, but I pressure wash everything, then I use a shop vac with exhaust, and blow/dry all the water away, then I spray everything (except belts :) ) with a plastic/black armour all type spray, engine area looks better then new. My truck is new as well, so I never had the grimmy areas or oil saturated areas yet.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have no problems with simple green on rubber. I have washed my motocross bikes 4 times a week for many years and have had no problems. Be careful of pressure washers also. Let the cleaner do the work, not the water.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
KaPPaBaLL said:
everyone has good ideas about what to use to clean..
Just remember.. I would rather have the engine block COLD when spraying cold water on it. .02
So what happens if I am 4 wheelin and I drive through a stream/river ot hit some rain puddle on the highway. I hope my engine does not crack or something. I think this is a good idea to let it cool a bit but really I bet it would not break if it was not over heating to begin with. Better safe then sorry Though.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
mitchgmace said:
So what happens if I am 4 wheelin and I drive through a stream/river ot hit some rain puddle on the highway. I hope my engine does not crack or something. I think this is a good idea to let it cool a bit but really I bet it would not break if it was not over heating to begin with. Better safe then sorry Though.
I think you motor would immediately explode leveling everything within a 2 mile radius.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
DonRam said:
I think you motor would immediately explode leveling everything within a 2 mile radius.
:thatfunny That's what I meant. I have driven into cold streams that have been deep enough to touch the motor with my truck, motor cycles and 4wheeler. So I'm sure a bit of cold water will not hurt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.