DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting a vararam and need to relocate the old school overflow radiator bottle that sits on top of the fan shroud. I couldnt find the answers i needed when i searched so.....what size bottle do i need to buy? im just goin to get a cheap one from auto zone and what kind/size of hose do i need to buy for this? Is there a certain type that can withstand the temps, and what size/thickness/length do i need? Is it o.k. that the bottle will be lower than the OEM bottle was on the shroud? Alot of simple questions, i just want to do this as easy as it should be.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Don't know if this will give you any ideas or not, but this is how I did it with a normal CIA.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Don't know if this will give you any ideas or not, but this is how I did it with a normal CIA.

thats nice looking. im still confused by this even though its so simple. Do you know what size bottle i need for the coolant? Summit racing has ones that are 1qt and 1.5qts and so on. Also do i need a catch can or overflow bottle?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Summit racing has ones that are 1qt and 1.5qts and so on. Also do i need a catch can or overflow bottle?
They are probably interchangeable, neither is a pressure vessel. I would think catch can for more like a transmission breather, vent tube, but if it fits it works. The ones in the picture came from Pep Boys, like $10.00. 1Qt. seems a little light.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
The 2003 has a pressurized coolant bottle as the radiator does not have its own cap.

·
Motörhead For Life!
8,398 Posts
The 2003 has a pressurized coolant bottle as the radiator does not have its own cap.
But you can replace the radiator with one with a cap if needed.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I forgot that, now I don't know what to say, unless someone makes one to accept a radiator cap.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Like Voodoo said, you can swap out the 2003 radiator for a 2004 that does have a cap but that would probably cost more money.

·
Registered
612 Posts
If you have stock water bottle just rotate it 90 degrees and make two "L" brackets to mount it. I kept the same hose that comes out bottom of the bottle and got longer hose from bottle top to radiator.

vararam_03_hemi_005.jpg

·
Tex
3,717 Posts
i have a shroudless install on my truck and the overflow bottle is just mounted to the radiator using the materials supplied in the black magic 180 kit. a local member did the install and did a freaking awesome job

·
Redtruck-VA
2,758 Posts
Well done guys,

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you have stock water bottle just rotate it 90 degrees and make two "L" brackets to mount it. I kept the same hose that comes out bottom of the bottle and got longer hose from bottle top to radiator.

View attachment 326539
thats just what im looking for, saved me a lot of thinking. hey do you know what kind/size of longer hose you got for the top of the radiator?

·
Registered
612 Posts
thats just what im looking for, saved me a lot of thinking. hey do you know what kind/size of longer hose you got for the top of the radiator?
Get same size and kind as whats already there, just longer. I think its 3/8 or 1/2"
at any auto store.

·
Try harder
13,236 Posts
Kris is you need any help with the install and I'm off work, just let me know and I'll come by.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kris is you need any help with the install and I'm off work, just let me know and I'll come by.
cool man thanks, it should be easy but you never know, ill let you know if i cant figure it out.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
It's been a couple year's now,but if i remember correctly the vararam kit came with a brkt. and hose to relocate the bottle on the 03's.You should'nt need anything else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.