DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -- '95 1500 4wd ext cab -- at about 60-65mph there is a very slight shudder (feels as if the wheels are not aligned). Seems to be less shudder with OD off. Just got an alignment but not a wheel balance. No strange rpm increases without speed increases. Tranny shifts fine.

Is there a sure-fire way to tell if this is TC shudder? Would there be an engine code thrown for the solenoid or ? I'm going to change the fluid and filter and see if it helps.

Any thoughts?

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
when the shuddering occurs, tap or slightly ride the brakes just enough to make the brake lights come on (to unlock T/C). If the shudder goes away that means it's probably the T/C.

Edit: It won't always throw a code.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok thanks will do. Turning the OD off won't help diagnose this I assume?

Edit: Ok I get what you are saying now. I thought it only unlocked under about 40, but I guess braking will force it to unlock as well obviously. Will try it this evening.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
no, your T/C still locks in D when the OD switch is 'off'

edit: how long has it been since serviced?

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Time for a service I think.
yes. before you service it, get a torx bit set. You will need one for the 3 bolts holding the filter in place. Get a decent size catch pan, some RTV, wire brush to remove the old gasket material (on a drill preferably, easier).
Use ATF +3 or +4, no dextron/mercron crap.
This would be an ideal time to install a temp gage, tranny cooler, or drain plug.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I've got a 4" lift with 33 inch tires. New front end recently, but could this contribute?
if you had it lined up already, pay the extra $20 and have the tires balanced.
Either way, if it's the tires or not, servicing your tranny is good preventative maint.
If you're running lift and tires, I would get a temp gage. That way you can tell if you need an additional cooler or not.\
Just to give you an idea, running 33s w/ 5.5" lift towing my boat I was hitting 200-210 with the stock tranny cooler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.