DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
You have to get an adjustable/stronger track bar. Someone else like Dodgezilla will chime in with the place to order it off of.

·
Registered
595 Posts
This is a major problem with WJ Jeeps. I didn’t run into it when I lifted mine, but many have. One solution was to run a duel steering stabilizer, but this only masks the problem. Adjustable track bars do help a lot to get your axel back in line. Also check your drive shaft angles. You may also want to get an alignment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I increased the psi tire pressure to 60, instead of the 40 that was in them. They are E rated tires. I also move the caster to 4.75 forward. This helped alot!

·
Banned
505 Posts
Years ago I worked at a front end aligment shop, and we did alot of heavy trucks and semis. The shake you guys are referring to is what we always called a "caster shake" because changing the caster a couple degrees to the positive always cured the problem, making sure it's even side to side, as gavngra just mentioned.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
How about some info on your truck? Stock tires and suspension or lift with bigger tires? Seems most guys with the DW have added spacers in the front and large tires like 315s or bigger. Track bars sometimes fix the problem and sometimes it's as easy as an alignment which of course you will have to pay for even if the truck is under warranty!! Unfortunately I know guys who couldn't get rid of the problem so they got rid of the truck.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2006 Mega Cab 2500 Cummins, with 2" leveling kit, Exhaust, Bully triple programmer, AFE intake, Edge Jammer turbo. Stock wheels so far.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Well, if it was me after all I've read in the last 4 years, I would remove the leveling kit and get a real lift kit. That seems to be the catalyst in just about every one of these death wobble complaints I've read about. The strange thing is that it doesn't happen to everybody. I saw a video once taken on the highway. It was a Dodge Ram Diesel and he hit a bump in the road and it was incredible how that death wobble shakes the front tires around. I thought it was a fake but he swore it was real. I've never experienced it but I refuse to get spacers for mine just for this reason.....

·
Registered
307 Posts
Installing the leveling kit does change the caster angle, I bet if you had your truck realigned with more positive caster the problem would go away.
Unless you have all sorts of loose or worn out parts but being your truck is new it probably your caster adjustment.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
That may well be true but if 99% of the trucks with this problem have leveling spacers then I would be inclined to think that has something to do with it....

·
Registered
307 Posts
Very ture, there is no replacing a good lift kit. But of that 99% how many people had there truck realigned with the caster set to the way positive side? I would assume not very many. This is why some 2" lift kits comes with longer lower control arms.
Positive caster is very important in our trucks.......

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have experienced the famious DW on my 01 1500 (with a 2" front spacer). I simply got in the habit of rotating and balancing my tires every 6k miles, yearly alignments, and installing a new stablizer at the slightest hint of a shake. I was buying the Rancho stablizer and they ran about $35. Also, the shocks are under warrenty for the first year.

I installed a 2" spacer on my 03 2500 over a year ago. No Probs!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Correction! Rancho has a lifetime warranty on their products... You can replace as often as you need too.

·
Banned
505 Posts
Did I not say way back that a caster adjustment would most likely fix the problem? I've seen lots of trucks with the same problem, primarily Dodges and Chevys, and raising the caster fixed all of them if my memory serves me.
It's like noone listens to anything in here when someone with practical, real world experience tries to help. Bring that truck to Ohio, take it to the alignment shop where I used to work, and it will get fixed, guaranteed. But it's not my truck, so I don't care. I also know you're probably not going to drive to Ohio but I was trying to make a point.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Well, you know, your advice may not be the only answer. AS I SAID, many trucks just cannot be fixed and lots of guys end up getting rid of them when all avenues fail.
I would definitely try your suggestion if I had the problem but what if it didn't work? Then I'm stuck throwing parts at it until it's fixed or I run out of money.....

·
Banned
505 Posts
I understand what you're saying. But you know what I do not see in the thread?? A better suggestion. I do not buy the fact that a guy gets rid of his truck because it can't be fixed. If it's not getting fixed, then the wrong people are working on it. And a few parts are cheaper than a new truck, correct? But once you see the problem for the first time, spend a bunch of time diagnosing and checking it out, trying various adjustments etc., there comes a point when you finally figure it out, then you know what to do next time you see that problem.

·
Banned
505 Posts
And why would you run out of money? Or how? Weren't you saying something in some other thread about your big million dollar home or something? It was something to that effect I think :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
And when you get it realigned make sure the tech knows what he is required to do, STOCK settings will not work on a lifted truck and dont let them tell you different....I had to take mine back and argue with the tech for about an hour before the nucklehead understood what I was needing them to do...he just couldnt get it threw his thick skull.
Like said before some shops understand what will fix certian problems some just do what the computer tells them to do.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
I was speaking hypothetically, of course, and I didn't say I ran out of money! If YOU pay attention to what others type then you would read that I said I have not had this issue. What I meant by that statement was that a guy would reach the point where he decides that he doesn't want to spend anymore money trying to fix a certain problem. I never had this issue but I ALWAYS read the posts about it just in case. The suggestion I made comes from probably reading 100 posts about this in the past 5 years. So the topic starter has the option of taking the advice of one or the other of us or even somebody else....
Some people don't have access to more than one dealership. I knew a guy back in 03 that had a CTD with this issue. He lived way out in the country. The dealer could not figure out the problem. This was way out in the country where a dealership tries a bit harder to make the customer happy. They gave him a new truck after a few weeks of not being able to fix it. Within a few weeks the second truck was doing the same thing. This really made me worry because I had just gotten my new 03 CTD. The guy got fed up and told the dealer to give him a Hemi truck, which they did, and his problem disappeared.

You know, there are many thousands of people on these sites and not everybody is going to heed your advice no matter how good you think it is. That's just the way it is. A lot of it has to do with the attitude you exude. If you weren't so combative everytime somebody posts something to the contrary of what you believe then people would respect your opinion more......

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.