DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to clean it to see if that helps her from stalling at idle. I know the sensor is on the back of the throttle body but Im not sure what exactly needs cleaned...

·
Urban Wheeler
415 Posts
Once you've got it out, take some TB cleaner and clean the junk off the plunger. Then spray some in the TB where the IAC goes in and take a rag (lint free) then a Q-tip to clean out the port. Install the IAC and you're done. Cheers.

·
Love my 66 monaco 500
1,239 Posts
I heard that it has to be throttle body cleaner, not carburetor cleaner.
Carb cleaner can damage the coating on a throttle body.
My $.02
Scott

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I took it off and cleaned it and the port it goes into and that seemed to help. It idles fine then if i give it some gas and let off the gas it act like it wants to stall the rpms go under 500 then back up to 600 where she is idling. I sprayed carb cleaner into the throttle body and that seemed to help more than cleaning the iac... Is there something in the throttle body that i need to clean too or what else could be causing it to die only after I give it a little gas.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the cleaner i have from napa says it is carb choke and throttle body cleaner

·
Love my 66 monaco 500
1,239 Posts
I believe as long as it says "Throttle body" you are good!

·
Urban Wheeler
415 Posts
My computer took some time to re-adjust to the IAC after I cleaned it. Put a few hundred miles on it and you should be good to go again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YEA Thats what I needed to see before I did it... Mine didnt come as clean as yours looked but the idle is better now so...Did it take your idle a bit to get adjusted back?

·
'98 B2500 Ram Cargo Van
680 Posts
My van is not the one pictured in the article. I did take mine apart and clean it, but it was more of a preventitive measure - it ran fine before I did it and it ran fine after. Mine was fairly dirty, but aparently not bad enough to cause a noticable drivability problem.

But I would imagine that if the change from dirty to clean is drastic enough, than yes, the PCM will likely need a little time to adjust.

Pete

·
Registered
204 Posts
If cleaning/changing the IAC doesn't fix it, have the battery checked with a load tester. Mine used to stall when letting off the accelerator and it was the battery needing replacement.

KP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.