DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99' Ram 4x4 rear end is making a whinning sound and I have been told that the rear end bearings need replaced. I've been quoted $600-$800. I'm wondering if I should just pay to have it done or is it soething I should just do over the weekend?
Also this sounds like a common problem, so is there different set that I could put in to prevent this in the future?
Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
assuming your talking about a 9 1/4 rear? that price seems normal, as long as they are doing ALL the bearings and seals.
you can get a top quality seal/bearing kit from drivetrain.com for 100 bucks, and add some axle end seals and bearings for another 40 bucks. Its not really the average wrenchers job since setting the backlash and assembly/dissassembly takes some special tools and experience.
FYI, the whining could be bearings, gears, universal joints on the driveshaft, or excessive clearance on the ring and pinion.
The 9 1/4's can make some noise with higher mileage trucks, but does not always mean they are failing, just a little loose. Mine started making a whining noise at 70,000 miles and continued that way till 150,000 miles before it got really loud.

·
Registered
302 Posts
doing ANYTHING to the rear 9 1/4 is EASY!!
To adjust the back lash and bearing load all you have to do is turn two big threaded plates that are against the bearings, one on each side of the carrier.
Just take your carrier our, press off the old bearings, press on the new ones packed with grease, reinstall and recheck backlash and bearing preload and ur done.
if its the pinion bearing, a little more work is needed but still very easy.
Wont go into detail but i wouldnt charge any more than $200-$300 to do it, shouldnt take more than 2-3 hours for someone skilled with a lift, heck, it only took me 4 hours in my buddies garage to change all bearings and install the 4.56 gears and its the first time ive worked on this type of rear!! works fine, and now that i know how to do it i could put new gears in and new bearings in about 2-3 hours laying in a garage with basic home tools or about 1-2 hours with a lift.
The main thing is that you will need to make or buy the tool to turn the big threaded plates, it feeds in through the axle tubes and takes something like a 1-1/2 inch hex nut. have to look it up, we made one for my buddies 8-3/4 rear, same fit my rear.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Did they say why you need to replace the bearings? Are they talking about the bearings at the outside end of the axle tube or the ones on the carrier as well? If just the wheel bearings out at the end of the axle that seems pricey to me. Those aren't hard to do at all. I did them on my old Ranger I had and I don't believe these are much different if at all. Never done the bearings on the carrier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's the carrier, it's making a roaring noise. They say it's just a matter of time before they go, could be a month could be a year!

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
I think that is high I have dana 60 front and rear it is 700 labor to replace the gears and bearing 300 for the rear and 400 for the front so unless the bearings cost 300 to 500 bucks sounds high. My local dodge shop said it would be 500 for labor so they are higher if thats who quoted you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.