DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'01 Ram. 360. What's the hottest thermostat I can put in this? I'm getting lukewarm "heat" right now, even after idling for 10-15 minutes and then running down the road for another 15 minutes. Granted, it's been below zero pretty constant for the last few days but my Jeep Cherokee is having no problems. Temp gauge reads approximately 1/4 on the gauge. 170 maybe. Will all I need is the stat and gasket?

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
try putting cardboard in front of the radiator as a temp fix

·
Registered
265 Posts
maybe the heater core needs to be flushed out.I know mine needed flushed as it was plugged.I think it needs to be done again as it is not working as good as it was.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today it's above zero and there is too much heat. There wasn't near enough this morning when it was -10. What gives? I got a 195 degree thermostat today and will put it in tomorrow.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put in the 195 today and removed the old 195! Still no better. I bet it took a half hour for the upper radiator hose to get hot and even then the temp gauge never moved any higher than half way between 135 and 210. I know not to depend on the gauge. Anyone else have any ideas? It won't get warm here until April!

·
Registered
493 Posts
/points back up at the post about the cardboard.

if you cover up 1/2 of your radiator you reduce the effectiveness of your radiator to cool your coolant. With a temperature differential of about 190-200 degrees (temp of air blowing thru the radiator and the coolant), your radiator is way more effective in cooling the coolant BELOW normal operating temperature.

it the cardboard is too low tech for you, google up "radiator cover" or more specifically "winter front" for some sellers.

when blocking part of the radiator, i'd block the left or right side, i'd avoid blocking just the top or bottom.

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
A hotter t-stat won't make a difference. Stick with the 195 you have. If your temp is only getting to 170, it's only going to get to 170 no matter how hot of a t-stat you use. Like the others have suggested a rad cover of some type is your best bet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That doesn't explain why these trucks won't warm up while they're sitting still. I can see while driving that the cold is forced into the engine compartment but wouldn't the truck heat up faster just sitting still?

·
Registered
493 Posts
sure it does

-a truck idling generates vastly less waste heat than one driving down the road

-when idling, you still have a fan pulling frigid air across the entirety of your radiator

your radiator in contact with frigid air VS. heat generated by engine and transferred to coolant

Win: radiator ... and coolant get cooled below operating temperature.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the cardboard won't help at all when warming up in the morning but once I start down the road, that's when I'll see the engine compartment temps rise?

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
So the cardboard won't help at all when warming up in the morning but once I start down the road, that's when I'll see the engine compartment temps rise?
that is correct your engine produces more heat under load than at idle the cardboard in front reduces air flow allowing the engine to retain more of that heat

·
Registered
551 Posts
Most of the winter i run with just about all my rad blocked off. Thing with these magnum engines is they dont run that hot at all. most of the time gauge will only get to a 1/4 of the way up which is normal. But yes like others said put some cardboard in there, low tech its cheap and it works. And your truck idleing in cold temps may take forver to warm up since your engine is not under any load and your fan is blowing freezing air across your engine. When its -30C here I let my truck idle in the morning for at least 20mins, and its still cold when i get in. Just the nature of the beast. Also make sure your cowl is clear of snow, if not you can suck in snow and freeze up your windows.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.