DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the train horn hooked up to work off the steering wheel. I dropped the truck off to have a problem looked at today and the guy pulling it in hit the horn and it worked. When he hit it again it didn't blow. It also doesn't blow when I lock the doors with the key or the remote start/security fob.

The compressor is getting power and the tank is full.

Since it stopped working suddenly it sounds like a fuse. But I'm not sure what fuse the horn is on though. The manual and diagram on the fuse box don't show it.

Does anyone know what fuse the horn is or have any ideas on this problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
The horn is on the same one as the cigarette lighter and interior lights, I believe.

What year is your truck?

·
BEE Ready!
1,274 Posts
Take 2 minutes and individually pull each fuse. I did this to a car I had a while ago and ended up having 3 blown fuses.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
If the compressor is working, the problem would have to be in the plumbing. When you press the horn button, do you hear air move? If so, I'd guess a hose has come off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the compressor is working, the problem would have to be in the plumbing. When you press the horn button, do you hear air move? If so, I'd guess a hose has come off.
I have checked the connections at the tank and solenoid on the horns and it's good. The compressor hasn't run since yesterday afternoon so it isn't leaking anywhere. Maybe the solenoid has gone bad? I don't hear anything when I press the horn button.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
Or the relay is bad. Is it fused? The relay should have two fuses: ~3A on the low-current side and whatever is recommended for the compressor on the high-current side. You should hear the solenoid click when you press the horn button.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Or the relay is bad. Is it fused? The relay should have two fuses: ~3A on the low-current side and whatever is recommended for the compressor on the high-current side. You should hear the solenoid click when you press the horn button.
There is a 30 amp fuse from the battery to the relay. From the relay on I don't think there is a fuse. The solenoid isn't doing anything. It doesn't click when the button on the wheel is pressed or with the fob. I am going to pick up a test light tomorrow and see if the solenoid is getting power.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After re-checking the connections at the solenoid the line from the solenoid to the horn line was loose. It didn't feel like it when I first checked but after pulling on the splices it did come loose. So a re-splice and it's back up and running.

Thanks for all the info and troubleshooting tips!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.