DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took it to a shop & had it balanced again on a roadforce balancer this time. I was told the last time at another shop that they had a roadforce...either they didn't & lied or noticed the shaking & didn't tell me.

They let me look at it & the tire was shaking on the machine. They said 1 wheel failed the test & another was almost twice the acceptable limit. Was told that it would never balance right & shaking would always be there & the rims are bent.

So I plan on getting a set of the 04-07 Durango aluminum 17s. I have one guy on craigslist that i am talking to that will sell me a set for $200.

So off go the black steels & hopefully a set of the Durangos.

On the bright side, these Durango wheels will be an inch skinnier, weigh less, not stick out as far & be aluminum vs steel. So I should get a little power back as in throttle response, should be a little easier to turn & from what I've heard easier to balance.

Maybe one day be able to powder coat the durango wheels black.

Can't really afford to spend $200, but I'm tired of just putting up with the shaking. Another bill may not get paid but o well, I don't feel too safe rolling on bent wheels at interstate speeds.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Nice to hear somebody got some results. I need to find a local shop that does road force testing. I have a feel rims that hav wobble.
I also need to find a place that can straighten the hub on a rim

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
do your lugs have those rotor holder clips on em? remove those... they can bend a rim and warp your rotors over time.

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dunno about the lugs, they are pretty long & skinny lugs, i guess cause of the BS on the rims.

I'm still talking to a guy on craigslist about the Durango rims he has for sell for $200. He's got my number & email, just waiting on some pics. Long as they are pretty good shape & he has the lugs too, then I'll more than likely buy them from him this next week. My mom & stepdad are gonna give me my xmas money a little early this year & I'm gonna use that to buy them & then pay them back tax time.

Hopefully with those stock, skinnier, lighter wheels it will get rid of most of it. I can understand a little shake at interstate speed with a heavy truck thats lowered, but this much shake isn't normal.

Then at tax time hopefully get some bump stops & shocks to help out my slower city driving with all these potholes, rough roads & speed bumps.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
One thing to note on the Durango rims is that the backspace and offsets are generally higher, so the rims sit in pretty tight.

I ran a set of '04 durango aluminum rims (17" x 8"), and I barely cleared 265-70R17 tires. They fit, but it was tight.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I had a similar problem with one of my wheels. Shop couldn't get it balanced and said one of the wheels was out-of-round. Had it regular balanced and road force balanced. Same issues.

Just got some new tires put on, and they are balanced PERFECTLY. So, come to find out, it was the tire! Glad I didn't spring for some new 22's! They ride perfectly now.

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tires i have on it now are only about 3 or 4 months old & it shook with the older tires as well.

Limedust, thats the same size tire I got. Did they rub any? And where was it tight? Just on the fronts when turning?

·
Fueled by 1.21 jiggawatts
2,722 Posts
Same thing I'm dealing with at the moment.. My wheels are out of round too. When I bought my new rims in July my original 20s and old tires were smooth. Foor the new rims I used my old tires, it shook. Figured ok, tires are getting kinda close to replacement time I guess, so, I bought new tires, it shook! ugh!! Finally after a few weeks shaking with new tires took it up to have it rebalanced and the manager himself spent almost 2 hours messing with spinning the tires on the rim looking for the "sweet spot"... After all that, Its better, but STILL shakes.... Put the wheels on the balancer and when lloking at the inside of the wheel drum you can see it wobble. How noone EVER seen this in this last couple months is beyond me
, but atleast they pinpointed it to be the wheels...

So, I called the place I bought the wheels from. Thankfully they have a new set of wheels coming from the manufacturer to replace mine. I asked them to check and make sure they were true before they were shipped and they said absolutely.. Should have them in a couple days. Finally, I am so tired of my truck vibrating. I feel your pain man, its damn annoying!! I hope this is going to be the end all be all...

Good luck with yours, it for sure gets old quick..

·
Registered
660 Posts
If I was buying used rims. I would be very suspicious of them being bent! If being shipped you hope they don't drop them the wrong way? Possibily causing damage you can't see! But sometimes I guess you gotta take a chance.

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yea it gets old quick. I just put up with it for over a year or so. I got these black rims like in feb or march this year & the shaking got a lot worse. Still did it a little with the stock steel 17s, maybe I imagined it, dunno...lol. That had me leaning to the tires or maybe ujoints/ driveshaft.

I've had it balanced probably about 6-7 times this year. If these Durango wheels end up fixing & it was cause of those black wheels...then there are some crooked shops around me for balancing those rims like 6 plus times & never telling me & taking my money.

At around 70-75 on the interstate, u can look over & see the passenger seat shaking & u can actually hear the seat shaking. I had a walmart bag sitting on the seat one day & it sounded like someone was just shaking the bag.

·
Registered
954 Posts
It could have something to do with the pinion angle as well. With the drop. sometimes that get a little out of whack?

It is tough to find a reputable shop around these days. I have had better luck with the "mom & Pop" shops over the larger chain type retailers. And, it really does get frustrating after a while with a vibration like that. My wife refused to drive it, she said it was too scary when it did that, (Maybe that wasn't such a bad thing? :)

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was told that the McGaughys kit it suppose to keep the stock pinion angle. I'll check out the pinion angle & maybe shims & still check out the ujoints if it still shakes.

I got the rims this evening. $200 for a set of the aluminum Durango rims w/ lugs, they look to be in great shape. And a bonus...i told him i just needed the rims, but he keep the tires on there so I can sell them for a little cash. Hopefully have these rims on by Thursday.

I haven't checked all the tires out yet really good, but at least one was a Goodyear Wrangler & it looked to have about 50% or better tread.

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a couple pics of the Rango 17s on it, Looks better than I thought it would.

And guess what...99% of the shaking is gone. There's a little from the e-cutout thats right under the cab & its a truck so that's acceptable. Even did up to 90 on the interstate & no more shaking seat or anything. Turned off the ecutout, made it quiet as stock, & not even a vibration for the exhaust...smooth as a dolphin's arse.

And with the skinnier, lighter wheels i got a little more throttle pep in my truck's step.

I'M SO DANG HAPPY:rck::rck::rck::rck::rck::rck::rck::rck::rck::rck::rck::rck::rck::rck::rck::rck::rck::rck::rck::rck::rck:

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy: Thanks in huge part to Chris (ivegotcows) & the honest shop he works at & whoever else looked at it. I might have give u a little extra thank you cash next time I see ya.

now its time for nitro drop IIs for the slow bumpy city driving.

Also this is the side that it got hit right in front of the rear fender, now its fixed too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
looks good man. glad 2 see u got that bed fixed.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
JonRoc:

The rims I had were from an '04 Durango, 17"x8" with (I believe) close to 6" backspacing. Here is a link to pictures from when I sold them.

They cleared the UCA's on my '05, but just barely. Great track rims because of the light weight, though I never used them as such.

I might crawl under and check the clearance if I were you, just to be sure. The rims you posted may have different BS/offset, though, as they look a little different.

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah the lip is different.

Mine might be repos or maybe they changed them slightly over those years. I was told it was Durango wheels, maybe they are Ram wheels or just a diff year. I know the Dakotas are 6 lug, have they ever been 5 lug?

I'll check them out better for rubbing tomorrow & turn em full lock & see if theres any rubbing. It did fix the shaking. I just need shocks for the potholes & rough road up here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.