DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooked on (a) crack

838 views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Harley Ram 
#1 ·
I was washin the rig this evening, wiping the dash off and noticed a 12"+/- crack on the upper surface of the dash. It started at the defrost vent, ran about 2" from the top and then went towards the passenger side. Looks like a basket ball SLAMMED into it! Of course there is no way a basket ball could have hit it but damn! :VHOT: :VHOT: :VHOT:
I would believe it was from setting in the sun. The dash was treated with Armorall about 2 months ago.
Anybody else have this happen?
Is there a custom cover out there to cover the dash on a '99?

#2 ·
Believe it or not, my wife was riding passenger tonight and noticed a 3" crack just like the one you describe. I know it was not there last week and my truck doesn't sit in the sun either. :mad: :mad: :VHOT:

#3 ·
I can tell you why it cracked in 2 words....Armor All :mad: :VHOT: :mad:

#5 ·
Ok I am not trying to be a jerk here especially since you cant hear inflection in e-mail...having said that--If you do a search on cracked dash on here you will see that numerous people have cracked dashes and a lot of them have admitted to using Armor All. When I got my first car way back in '80 I also used the stuff and not more than 3 months later everything I had used it on had cracked. Now I realize that was 25 years ago (damn I am OLD) but I have never used it since and have not had any of my plastic crack. I guess to each their own but as I said before if you will do a search 90% of the cracked dashes on here have used Armor All...Just an opinion...right, wrong or indifferent.

#6 ·
Armor All is the culprit, it dries out the dash, then the heat expands it and it cracks. Bad idea, search on here like Griz said. My truck is 11 years old, no cracks, never been treated with armor all, I just use windex on a paper towel, works fine for me. Then I have a sealer that I spray on it.

[Redacted]

#7 ·
Never use armor all on anything

its the silicone in it

#8 ·
Heard the clear newer type of Armor all is fine to use. the old white stuff will crack dashes.

#9 ·
Armoral sucks, get some stuff from Adam's polish

#10 ·
I can understand something like Armor All cracking a soft vinyl dash board, but our trucks have a hard plastic dash, why would it cause that to crack?

Either way, I am PISSED about the crack I just found!!! :VHOT:

#11 ·
Harley Ram, that is a nice T-Maxx in you avatar. I have one also...well it used to be a T-Maxx, it is very little original T-Maxx now though. ;)

#12 ·
Harley Ram said:
I was washin the rig this evening, wiping the dash off and noticed a 12"+/- crack on the upper surface of the dash. It started at the defrost vent, ran about 2" from the top and then went towards the passenger side. Looks like a basket ball SLAMMED into it! Of course there is no way a basket ball could have hit it but damn! :VHOT: :VHOT: :VHOT:
I would believe it was from setting in the sun. The dash was treated with Armorall about 2 months ago.
Anybody else have this happen?
Is there a custom cover out there to cover the dash on a '99?

Welcome to the club.. Although Armor-all has a tendancy to dry things out. I think it is actually a fault in some of the dashes. I've hear a few guys who replaced there dash themselves and when they went to mount it up the brackets were to narrow. They had to bend them a little to get it to fit. That makes me think that there is undo stress on the dash from the factory. And over the years in the sun and with cleaning it dries out and the stress cracks it. Just my $.02.

I need to find a new one myself. I will attack the salvage yards here soon.

#13 ·
Curious, where are the dashes cracking? Same place? Various places? May solve this mystery if we could compare locations. I will post a pic tonight.
As for the armourall, I have had dashes split before as we all have, if those reading this are "old" enough I am sure you will agree. But body moldings, bumper covers, door panels, rview mirror housings etc. even motorcycle seats (well one did) treated with the "A" stuff never have split on me.

#14 ·
Davcruz, I noticed the T-MAXX big block in your signature so I thought I would post mine in the avy for ya see.

#15 ·
Harley Ram said:
Davcruz, I noticed the T-MAXX big block in your signature so I thought I would post mine in the avy for ya see.
Well I will post mine here for you...and everyone else to see. ;)

#16 ·
Nice truck Davcryuz. I see a number of mods on it, but why did you stick that ugly ass body on it? :cheers:

#17 ·
A "number" of mods. :thatfunny

That body is an extended body that fits my extended truck. I ran a Dodge when it was stock.

Here is a better "mod" pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.