DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I should post this here, it's a performance gain, but I've seen this type of mods mostly to street trucks. So if need be, move it.

has anyone seen (or fabricated) a inverse scoop for the 2nd gen hood?
What I mean by inverse is basically, instead of a scoop protruding above the hoodline, have a downward sloping scoop opening that ends infront of the throttle body. near the hood/windshield cowl seam.

I'll try and sketch something up...

this is VERY basic, the opening would be more rounded & smoothed off, but the idea is to have the fresh air getting channeled down to the open element air cleaner I have.

With the opening being this far back, i shouldn't need to worry about the core support bracing either.

Would need to fab a deflector for the rain though.

what do yall think?

anybody got pics of something similar?

Attachments

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
That's not a bad idea, but I think keeping moisture out would be a little difficult, not sure how you would deflect water, but keep air coming in. Are there any other vehicles have an inverted scoop like that? Most inverted shaped scoops I see are actually heat extractors.

Here is an idea I had for an air intake. Take a look at the air intake vents on the side of the hood of this truck (brand to remain nameless). I have wondered how something like that might work on our trucks, especially since the hood design of 2nd gen rams would support this type of system. You could have vents on the side of our hoods, connected to a RamAir box (see pic). You would have to fab up some type of disconnect so you could open the hood (since the vents would be on the hood, but the RamAir box and tubes would be attached to the engine).

Attachments

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
I knew I could count on you to be the first one to poo poo any idea that is different.

You could give them length, so sufficient air could be trapped.

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts
^ only reason i know is that ive been eyeing a set of buick fender vents

but these barely fit.

i would like to see a heat extractor style of hood paired up with a electric fan.

to make it look right you would have to shave the body lines on the hood or section in a piece of the new chrysler suv hood.

·
Registered
607 Posts
What you're describing is kind of like a NACA duct and scoops like this are available, but they need to be sited where there's a reasonable airflow outside the boundary layer. Premade parts are available, here too.

On a vehicle with a very shallow screen, there may be reasonable flow further back up the hood, but at the base of the hood there's generally a high pressure lowflow area, so air can diffuse in in more or less any direction, which is why the HVAC takes its intake from there, and is the idea for cowl induction hoods, which don't need to be tall to work well.

Can you guess what this one is?

Attachments

·
Too Big to Sneak
448 Posts
Yeah - that's on a last generation/model Camaro.

Thanks for pointing out the term NACA Duct - I was afraid nobody else had heard it before.

IRT to the cowl-induction hood, Reflexxions also makes a Ram-Air hood that incorporates a cowl-induction style hump with a large NACA Duct as the Ram-Air in the front. Might be a cheaper (or at least less hassle) way to go.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the feedback, I had been thinking about the idea for a while and wanted to get some other opinions on it.
The do make a heat extractor & ram air combo hood for our trucks. It's in the issue of some dodge truck magazine I have. Costs about $700 though.
After reading the above I'm leaning more towards the cowl induction idea.
Though the problem of water inhilation still remains.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
QCRam said:
Can you guess what this one is?
Yeah, '02 Z28. My buddy has one, talk about feeling it in the seat of your pants. His is slightly modified and you almost feel the front tires come off the ground when he punches it (manual).

·
Mopar from Birth
594 Posts
chizzle1 said:
Though the problem of water inhilation still remains.

this is why i haven't bought a new hood. i have had my eye on the High Rise hood from Keystone/GoodHoods

·
Registered
607 Posts
Grantman31 said:
Yeah, '02 Z28. My buddy has one, talk about feeling it in the seat of your pants. His is slightly modified and you almost feel the front tires come off the ground when he punches it (manual).
Hehe, the black one isn't mine. I love that car, bought it on an impulse after I went shopping for a Silverado. Scariest thing about it, apart from being able to lose traction as you shift into second (and third I've been told but never managed to do) is driving up behind my Ram and seeint the rear bumper about level with the base of the windscreen, could be a nasty accident.
Back to the airscoop, there's a fancy duct under this one that loops around to a plenum at the front which has weep holes along it, water must get in there, sincce there's often drip stains around the holes. Any similar arrangement where there's somewhere for the water to collect at a low point on the way in will work similarly.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Silver_DodgeRam said:
I knew I could count on you to be the first one to poo poo any idea that is different.

You could give them length, so sufficient air could be trapped.
:thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.