DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at getting a Araid M.I.T to delete the baffle section in the intake system. Took it off to remove the silencer ring and decided i was just going to make one. Spent about 6 dollars and 30 min. Just thought i would show her off

·
Ram Tough
154 Posts
OK, a little more info.... What is it and what dept? Size? Length?

·
Diesel User
1,343 Posts
Make sure it can withstand high heat and vibration.

MikeyB

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2 4" abs couplers
1 2" long piece of 4"abs
abs cement
inch wide electical tape

The pipe couplers measure about 5" od and the stocl intake tube measures 5 1/4 ". I glued them together using the 4inch piece of pipe on the inside. then wraped about 6 wraps of electical tape on each end (outside) to make up the difference in size. Put on the boots and tightened them down. The two couple end to end are about a 1/16 shy of the previous stock overall length. i just used the piece of pipe on the inside for reinforcment. basically like i am making a super coupler. Just thought i would share

ABS has a max temp of 175 degrees F and melting point of 212. I see no way that the manifold w/ heat sheild will be able to heat the abs up enough to deform the abs, especially since you have a cooler air flowing on the inside. i Would say it is much more ridgid that the stocker.

·
Registered
224 Posts
what purpose do the stock baffles serve? Is there any benefit to the turbo to remove or leave in place?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Equalize pressure in the tube and create laminar flow(this also adversely effects airflow). Basically baffle the sound of the turbo. By removing it you can get slightly better air flow, with more sound :D.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
www.airflowonline.com. $60.00 and you can replace the whole torque tube with better flowing parts... My turbo absolutely screams!!!!!

Be careful with the PVC pipe. The electrical tape will start pulling off from the heat and the plastic tends to crack after some time. I know from experience...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the baffles would be a bitch, they are prety much stuck in then epoxy caps, not sure if the tube would have the ridgity to stand up without the baffles in.

It is abs which should withstand the heat cycling over regular pvc. and the clamping force should hold down enough to keep the tape from peeling, but it is definatly something i will keep an eye on. I just didnt want to spend the money on a torque tube when i could build it for a 1/10 of the price.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Got Diesel? said:
www.airflowonline.com. $60.00 and you can replace the whole torque tube with better flowing parts... My turbo absolutely screams!!!!!

Be careful with the PVC pipe. The electrical tape will start pulling off from the heat and the plastic tends to crack after some time. I know from experience...
where on that site do i find it

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
442 Posts
pooperscooper said:
the baffles would be a bitch, they are prety much stuck in then epoxy caps, not sure if the tube would have the ridgity to stand up without the baffles in.
Actually it is pretty easy. Take the tube out of the engine compartment. Unhook one end of a hacksaw, slip the blade through the tube and rehook to the hack saw. You can saw both baffles on in a few minutes. I did mine like that about 60,000 miles ago and have had no problems.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Same here Deke. It is very easy to remove the baffling. I did not use a saw. Just up a pair of vise grips on the baffle and broke one side loose and the rest fell out. Took like 10 minutes. After the baffling is out, it hold together just fine. No need to reinforce anything. Just stick the damn thing back in.

Funny thing is now pooperscooper just spent money he could have saved. There have been many other posts on this forum as to how to take the baffling out and that you dont need any thing else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
free mod aside...
has anyone use the airaid's modular intake tubes with stock airbox?

thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SNoack said:
Funny thing is now pooperscooper just spent money he could have saved. There have been many other posts on this forum as to how to take the baffling out and that you dont need any thing else.

That is pretty funny, Except i wanted to keep my stock baffle tube, maybe i will get sick of the turbo who knows right? Since 5 dollars in parts is worth keeping the stocker..... :crazy:

I Didnt seach for any of the forums you are talking about because removing the baffles, i had no interest in. Just giving an alternative to hacking away at stock parts.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thats what this site is all about....options.
So, when are you gonna post some pics of the White Beast? That truck looks bad a$$ in your avatar. :rck:

·
Big Riggin'
549 Posts
Pretty kewl!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.