DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got the Trans-go kit in, it makes quite a difference in the shifts. I havent gone WOT yet, but you can definately feel it under half throttle. I'm gonna drive it some more today, and continue checking the fluid level (just to be safe), then give it hell tonight. I can only imagine what it'll do.
Definately a mod you can feel!

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, as far as the kits go...
I got one from Summit, and one from APS...

The one from Summit has all the stuff I installed, new springs, valve, clips, resister, and plate.
The one from APS has all of the above, but also a few more springs that I havent installed, as you have to drop the trans to put them in.
I'll hopefully get that done if/when I get a torque converter, so as for now, they will stay in the box.
The plug that they come with didnt fit in my valve body, I dont know why, so I put the stock plug in, and finished it up. The job is really easy, I was intimidated about it at first because I had no idea what to expect, but its so easy.

For what its worth, I've got the "second" kit for sale, the one I got from Summit, for $95 shipped. I was gonna put it on ebay but havent gotten around to it, so if anyone wants it, LMK, thats cheaper than you can buy it elsewhere.

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for all the double posts...

Install basically meant dropping the pan, pulling the filters, unplugging the computer from the transmission, and unbolting the valve body (6 bolts, anyone can do it). Then you unbolt the plate from the side of the valve body, and there's all the parts you need to replace, and the instructions are very clear about what needs to be done, it took about 10 minutes to replace the parts, and double/triple check to make sure I did them right (paranoia). Then put it all back together...if you arent afraid to do a trans fluid change, you should have no problem doing the shift kit.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Good job man, now go have some fun and report back on the WOT shifts. I might do this mod myself and want impressions.

·
Sleeper in The Making
1,696 Posts
What about the long term durability of the trans ? A concern with our Transmissions.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
As shift kits go, they can only increase the life of the tranny. The increase in shift firmness means a decrease in clutch slippage, equating to less clutch wear and less heat build-up in the fluid. Even if you don't want or need the performance increase, the added peace of mind is worth the cost.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...dang...thats what i want to hear...adding to my future mods...hehe

·
Whiskey Bent & Hell Bound
2,277 Posts
What exactly does the Trans-Go shift kit do? Is there any hp, tq, or track time increases?

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well no WOT for me tonight, shortly after I took it out for the testdrive...mad rain came. I dont know if it increases HP/TQ/ETs or not, I'd give you numbers, but I havent dyno'd, and my track times this year havent been consistant (new mods each time out, and a huge array of weather conditions). I'm going to the track hopefully in a week and a half, I'll give my impressions then, but I cant vouch for official time gains.

I've only heard about longevity with a shift kit, less heat from long shifts, less slippage, etc...better for transmissions. I heard part of the reason dodge tranny's are "problematic" is because people generally want super soft shifts, and to get soft shifts, you need long ones. Longer shifts just puts more work on the trans.

·
Registered
527 Posts
mheideman said:
What exactly does the Trans-Go shift kit do? Is there any hp, tq, or track time increases?
Of course not, at least with respect to HP and torque. It makes the shifts quicker and firmer. Feels good in the seat of the pants, but definitely does nothing to improve engine performance. You'll probably get a good chirp between 1 and 2.

You may experience a slightly quicker ET, and likely improved consistency, but no change in power.

·
Registered
527 Posts
360Plus said:
How will the Trans-Go shift kit and Superchips get along?
Now that's a good question. I'd like to hear some answers from those that have both.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
i HEARD if you use superchips to leave the resistor out of the shift kit...but this is only what i heard

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yeah. You can't run the resister and superchips at the same time. It makes line pressure to high and can damage your tranny. This shift kit just makes your shifts fast. This is not one of those shift kits that barks 2nd everytime you take off. Those are bad for your drivetrain. Transgo focuses on extending the life of your transmission not tire blazing shifts. It works well with superchips though I liked the way it shifted with the resister better. I got the shift kit before the Superchips. It will improve E.T.s because more time is spent in gear not shifting. Probably the best $100 I've put into my truck.

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It depends on the superchips you have. If you've got one that enhances the shift, you can run the shift kit, but dont put in the resister. If your superchips doesnt mess with the shifts (like the one MiniCwick has), you can run both.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
What is the difference between the regular kit and the "full" one that requires dropping the transmission? I've been wanting to install a new torque converter and if the "full" kit is really worth-while i'll do both at the same time.

·
Whiskey Bent & Hell Bound
2,277 Posts
enhanced250 said:
i HEARD if you use superchips to leave the resistor out of the shift kit...but this is only what i heard
What resistor is that?

·
Registered
231 Posts
He talking about the resister you have sauder in, that comes with the kit if you don't have a aftermarket programmer.
The difference between the full and the cheaper kit is that the cheaper kit comes with the resister only. If you don't want to drop the trans pan just by a SC programmer.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
I think there's a bigger difference than just the resistor. The difference in price between the two kits is over fifty dollars. The difference in procedures is one requires dropping the tranny, and one can be done by just dropping the pan. I would guess the bigger kit has pump mods (you'd need to drop the tranny and pull the TC for those).

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The cheaper kit comes with the resister and springs for the valve body.
The full kit, which requires dropping the trans to complete, comes with parts for the pump (springs, retainers, etc), and a new underdrive snap ring thats beefier

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.