DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the factory tow hitch package and two wires are broken within a 1/2" of the harness at the hitch plug. Is the factory tow wiring plug and play? If it is directly wired I will just splice it. What should I do?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not sure but.....

I had stuff like that going on with my hitch wires, took it to a trailer place by me, 45 bucks later it was all rewired to a new plug, all tucked in and done right, I was gonna do it but for 45 it was well worth it to be done by someone who knew what they were doing, I went to a Hecht Trailers in NJ, not sure if there near you but that would be where I would go again. Good luck

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was yours originally wired at the factory or after market? If you don't have the factory wiring then you have two the pre-wired after market harnesses which are P&P. If you had the factory wiring did they just splice it? I learned to make tight waterproof connections when I had a boat so if I need to splice them it will be right. But for $45.00 I'd rather pay someone if that what it needs.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
If your talking about the connector on the bumper you can either buy a new connector ass. and re-wire everything. Or you could just un bolt the two wires that are stuck in the connector and repair them or splice as you already mentioned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wire problem

Hey Guys, not two minutes ago I spoke with the Chrysler Group in Detroit. I was told I have a recall in reference to the towing package wiring. I am going to get mine fixed thru the dealer. You may want to check with your local Dealer. Good Luck.... :gr_patrio

·
Drives Hard
23 Posts
Sand_Pounder said:
Hey Guys, not two minutes ago I spoke with the Chrysler Group in Detroit. I was told I have a recall in reference to the towing package wiring. I am going to get mine fixed thru the dealer. You may want to check with your local Dealer. Good Luck.... :gr_patrio
on a 96?

·
Registered
246 Posts
The only recall I found was to install a letter in the glove compartment informing the customer to purchase a wiring kit from DC before headlight switch damage occurs from added lights or accessories

Customer Satisfaction Notification No. 820
Owner Manual Update -- Trailer and Accessory Light Wiring

Models

1994-1997 (BR) Dodge Ram 1500 and 2500 Series Trucks

NOTE: This notification applies only to the above trucks built through October 21, 1996 (MDH 1021XX).

Subject

The enclosed owner’s manual update letter provides additional information to prevent headlamp switch failure for those owners who wish to add trailer and/or accessory lighting to the truck's headlamp switch circuit. DaimlerChrysler recommends that owners purchase the appropriate wiring harness and relay, from their local dealer, to accommodate added lighting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.