DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a used hitch a little while back, OEM...

It didn't come with any bolts and I could have SWORN that I read someplace either here or at DOC about the size of the bolts for the hitch.

If anyone knows, PLEASE post it.

Also, are there any stronger bolts than grade 8?? Just curious what I should be using in this hitch...

Thanks!!

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
Grade 8 should be fine, but you may need some backing nuts to get it installed. I can check my hitch if that would help.

from the bolt depot website: http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Materials.aspx

Steel
Steel is the most common fastener material. Steel fasteners are available plain as well as with various surface treatments such as zinc plating, galvanization, and chrome plating.

Steel fasteners are commonly available in 4 grades. Many other grades exist but are used far less often. The most common grades are Grade 2, Grade 5, Grade 8, and Alloy Steel. Grade 2, 5, and 8 are usually plated with a silver or yellow zinc coating or galvanized to resist corrosion.

Determining Bolt Grade
Bolts of different grades are marked on the head to show what grade bolt they are. For a list of the most common grade markings see our Material Grade Identification and Properties Chart.

Grade 2
Grade 2 is a standard hardware grade steel. This is the most common grade of steel fastener and is the least expensive. Grade 2 bolts have no head marking (sometimes a manufacturer mark is present).

Grade 5
Grade 5 bolts are hardened to increase strength and are the most common bolts found in automotive applications. Grade 5 bolts have 3 evenly spaced radial lines on the head.

Grade 8
Grade 8 bolts have been hardened more than grade 5 bolts. Thus they are stronger and are used in demanding applications such as automotive suspensions. Grade 8 bolts have 6 evenly spaced radial lines on the head.

Alloy Steel
Alloy steel bolts are made from a high strength steel alloy and are further heat treated. Alloy steel bolts are typically not plated resulting in a dull black finish. Alloy steel bolts are extremely strong but very brittle.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at some other threads and they mentioned that the hitch needs to have the steel mounting plates that go in the frame rails. I don't have those so I guess I'm off to buy another hitch! ARGH! Oh well, you get what you pay for. (the 1 I have was free)

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
just buy the backing nuts. I am sure you can find them. They are very very simple items. Essentially they are a metal plate with a tapped hole. They are heat treated, but I am certain you can find a source.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
canyonD said:
just buy the backing nuts. I am sure you can find them. They are very very simple items. Essentially they are a metal plate with a tapped hole. They are heat treated, but I am certain you can find a source.
What are backing nuts?

Is this what they look like??

If you think I can find these at a local hardware store I'm off to the races!

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
it's more like a 1/2" thick steel piece that's about 1"x2" and has a threaded hole for the bolts. It's used because you can't get a wrench inside the tubular area of the hitch.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Verdammt!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I'm sure the dealer sells the harware check with your local dealers and try dodgeparts.com (but they have a minimum 8.00 shipping. The plates should not be that much) Also, aftermarket hitches use the same type plates. They probably sell them.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I guess you're referring about the pic i posted in the "hitch parts" thread? I just went out and measured them up, and the plates are 1/4" thick. They're roughly 1.5" wide(with a slight bend at end to make like a "J" shape) and 4" long, with a hole in the middle......not threaded. You could probably make these yourself for pretty cheap. If you want, i could take some better closeup pics for you along with where they're mounted on the hitch i have installed. Let me know...or anyone else that would need pics..

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jmac2000dge said:
I guess you're referring about the pic i posted in the "hitch parts" thread? I just went out and measured them up, and the plates are 1/4" thick. They're roughly 1.5" wide(with a slight bend at end to make like a "J" shape) and 4" long, with a hole in the middle......not threaded. You could probably make these yourself for pretty cheap. If you want, i could take some better closeup pics for you along with where they're mounted on the hitch i have installed. Let me know...or anyone else that would need pics..

Yep, I was talking about your thread. I think I'll try and buy the plates for it.

Actually I'm curious as to what other hitches look like vs. OEM/Hidden Hitch... I really lean toward H-H because i want the clean OEM look to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.