DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
dodgedude
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody had problems like this before. when i hit a bump sometimes my truck starts to shimmy. BAD. i cant really tell what its doing. its just a bad vibration. like the wheels go side to side. i know someone else has had this problem its a 2500 4wd with a cummins. its does have the cheap 2.5 lift spacers. i brought it to the alignment shop and they said everything is tight. the truck only has 98000 and its an 03. the shop did make adjustments but it is still doing it. only around 65 mph and up. (the faster you go the worst it gets.) the only thing is you have to hit a bump to make it start. any info will help. because the shimmy needs to go.

·
Registered
964 Posts
That sounds like a caster shimmy or a wheel being out of balance. If its a caster issue that has to due with your alignment. Some shops with the new computer machines don't pick up that they have to much caster just when its within spec. Try taking it to a different alignment shop or you can adjust the cams on the lower control arms. Adjust it so they pull the bottom of the axle towards the back of the truck.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
tighten up that track bar..make sure the tires are worth a crap, better steering stabilizer..adjust the toe out just a tad....replace your tie rods..if they need it.

you say if you hit a bump it happens? but to make it stop you hit a bump? this issue sounds like bumpsteer, fix that with an adjustable track bar and a good nitrogen steering stabilizer. the shimming is mostly likely from either the tires or the axle placement...

normally a good spot for the cams to be is at the 12 o'clock position, just curious where where yours are at.

·
dodgedude
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
everything on the front end is new. its alot more than a tire out of balance. i would also have to say its more of a violent shake than a shimmy. the stabilizer is new. the guy at the shop did roll the bottom of the axle towards the front of the truck. (which is what i thought was better at high speeds.) i will roll it towards the back and will probably try it in the 12 oclock . all the ball joints and tierods are tight and like new. i will study the link. and might look into getting an adjustable one. but the only thing different form stock is the lift which is only 2.5 inches. i see these all the time so it shouldnt be to much of a problem.and it just stops shaking after i slowdown alittle. some times i can just slam the brakes and it stops.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
not talking about the tires being out of balance just talking about if they are worth a carp, its on a heavy 2500 and sometimes d rated tires have to much sidewall flex. the shake feels more violent in lifted trucks, the track bar maybe be new, doesnt mean its tight enough.

this is just a few things to look, does the truck drive straight? if it does dont mess with the cams. and yes you would want to roll the axle forward not backward, meaning more caster. most alignment machines give specs off of a stock truck so sometimes you need to be creative of these alignments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.