DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off hello to all since im new here. I have a 2002 2wd 5 speed dodge dakota sxt. A couple months ago i started hearin a little squeal in 1nd gear right at 2000 rpms but went away when i shift into 3rd and when i let off accelerator and let it get below 2000 rpms. I never thought much about it until recently cause its now doin the same thing in every gear. It always starts at the same rpm and just get louder unless i shift or let of the accelerator. Cant be power steering because i have temporarily done away with power steering pump. I have new brakes, rotors, ujoints, tires, rebuilt the front end, and replaced several other things because it was a used truck when i got it and most parts replaced were still original. Threw all that out there mainly so anyone with any ideas would know ive ruled out any and all of them possibillities. Hard to say since it only happens while drivin but kinda sounds like its comin from transmission area. Ive also checked all pulleys and replaced the belt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have the feelin its goin to wind up bein something to do with the clutch but wanted to see if anyone else had any other ideas before i went that route. Ill try takin the belt off like you suggested first though. Ive been workin on vehicles for 20 yrs. Ive always diagnosed and fixed everything myself but this one has definitely had me stumped. In my 20 yrs of workin at the shade tree i aint never heard nothin like it. I guess if its still doin it with rhe belt off then im goin to get myself a clutch kit and get to work

·
Registered
92 Posts
May try pushing clutch pedal in just a hair to see if the noise changes, to try narrowing it down. Have someone operate it while you lay under to get better idea what’s up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You dont hear anything unusual when pressing on the clutch. I havent really tested it but i never noticed anything in neutral even when i rev it up a little. I will be testin that more thoroghly tomorrow. Seein as the clutch thats in it is well really old and im sure its time to replace it anyway im just gna change it and get it out of the way within the next few wks. Ive read ALOT of other posts about people with the same problem and they aint gettin no closer to the cause or the solution than i am. Hopin changin the clutch will solve mine and several others problem. I will post end results here for all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts