Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I have a 4.7L V8 and I installed the K&N FIPK. I followed all the instructions to a tee, except one. The only thing I did not do was cut down the length of the crankcase hose. Instead I just slapped the silicon hose included with the kit on the end of the crankcase hose and it fit over on the intake tube just fine.

The problem I have now is if I barely depress the accelerator pedal (such as you would do if you're up to speed and giving just enough gas to maintain speed) I get this very high pitch electrical whine (as opposed to the whine from the drive belts when you gun the engine). The sound is similar to fluorescent bulbs getting ready to go bad or if any of you have heard a CRT monitor on the fritz. Again, this only happens when I barely depress the accelerator pedal and will go away if I push further down or completely let off.

The only thing I could think of involving electrical was the temp sensor and the two wires that lead to the connector, but the position of those wires has moved so little I can't imagine it being the problem.

Has anyone here seen or heard of this problem? All responses appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,852 Posts
xdhatcherx said:
Hey All,

I have a 4.7L V8 and I installed the K&N FIPK. I followed all the instructions to a tee, except one. The only thing I did not do was cut down the length of the crankcase hose. Instead I just slapped the silicon hose included with the kit on the end of the crankcase hose and it fit over on the intake tube just fine.

The problem I have now is if I barely depress the accelerator pedal (such as you would do if you're up to speed and giving just enough gas to maintain speed) I get this very high pitch electrical whine (as opposed to the whine from the drive belts when you gun the engine). The sound is similar to fluorescent bulbs getting ready to go bad or if any of you have heard a CRT monitor on the fritz. Again, this only happens when I barely depress the accelerator pedal and will go away if I push further down or completely let off.

The only thing I could think of involving electrical was the temp sensor and the two wires that lead to the connector, but the position of those wires has moved so little I can't imagine it being the problem.

Has anyone here seen or heard of this problem? All responses appreciated!

Thanks!
I guess I don’t fully understand the sound you are describing. Are you mistaking the sound your hearing for the actually intake noise itself? I have an AEM CAI and that thing makes all kinds of racket…more like a hissing sound. It’s only at sections of the RPM’s and not all the time. Even when I’m coming to a stop and the truck is down shifting you can hear it decompress…kind of like it taking a big breath. And when you say “I barely depress the accelerator pedal (such as you would do if you're up to speed and giving just enough gas to maintain speed)…. mine will make noise too. I love the sound and it’s the nature of the beast!!!

Maybe this helps and or hope you solve your issue.

:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a k&n set up too, with some mods to the intake tube itself, but when i put it on it made the same hissing noise, mine does it when you first start the truck, then it tones down after 5 minutes or so, but it still does it. nothing you can do.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have the same problem, but mine is a lil diff and I have the Volant. If I understand him correctly the High pitch whine has nothting to do with the intake sound. It's almost like a dog whistle.....

Mine happens right before every shift point, it's SO annoying. It only started once I put the Volant on. I took it off and re-installed it still the same problem, all hoses and clams are tight. So I have no idea. But ....vroooooom...screech (shift)......vrorooooom Screech (Shift).......vroooom screech(shift) until reach'n cruise'n speed...I can't handle it anymore.....LOL

Mine sounds like a belt squeel'n before each shift, but it's too high and not long enough to actually be a belt......ahh who knows. It's go'n to the dealer soon to have it checked out. So I'll report back.

·
Banned
3,852 Posts
scans007 said:
I have the same problem, but mine is a lil diff and I have the Volant. If I understand him correctly the High pitch whine has nothting to do with the intake sound. It's almost like a dog whistle.....

Mine happens right before every shift point, it's SO annoying. It only started once I put the Volant on. I took it off and re-installed it still the same problem, all hoses and clams are tight. So I have no idea. But ....vroooooom...screech (shift)......vrorooooom Screech (Shift).......vroooom screech(shift) until reach'n cruise'n speed...I can't handle it anymore.....LOL

Mine sounds like a belt squeel'n before each shift, but it's too high and not long enough to actually be a belt......ahh who knows. It's go'n to the dealer soon to have it checked out. So I'll report back.
I guess thats what I was trying to say in my post. This is my 3rd intake and all of mine have done that. All were AEM. 1. on a 2003 Sierra, 2.2001 Honda Civic and now the dodge. I think its just enough or not enough air being pulled to make some sort of noise when passing the filter until you reach speed. Kinda of like when you put grass between your fingers and blow.....you get a high pitch sound depending on how hard you blow!!!! But you never can tell..............

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses everyone!

To clarify, this is not the hissing of the intake sound we're talking about. I absolutely love THAT sound. :)

You would have to have somewhat of an electronics background I think to understand the sound I'm talking about. Some of things I can think of that make a similar sound are like when you turn on an old TV and it makes that startup high pitch noise as it warms up. Also the dog whistle was a good comparison. I'm going to try unplugging the temp sensor and drive around without it plugged in to see if that changes anything. I've had intakes before on other cars and never had this problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you dont like or cant stand it, put the stock box back on. i heard all kinds of stuff when i switched mine over, i took it right to dodge, they said it was fine.of course they said my warranty was voided too, because of the mods. did you put a throttle body spacer on too? my first helix spacer made all kinds of crazy sounds, in fact it had that same sound whenever the pedal was touched, it drove me nuts, i replaced it with a crane cams spacer and the majority of the sounds went away. now i just have the hissing from the air filter sucking the air in.

And for your information I rebuild crashed helicopters for the govt so I think I can tell the difference in electrical whines and intake noises.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stingersoffroad said:
If you dont like or cant stand it, put the stock box back on. i heard all kinds of stuff when i switched mine over, i took it right to dodge, they said it was fine.of course they said my warranty was voided too, because of the mods. did you put a throttle body spacer on too? my first helix spacer made all kinds of crazy sounds, in fact it had that same sound whenever the pedal was touched, it drove me nuts, i replaced it with a crane cams spacer and the majority of the sounds went away. now i just have the hissing from the air filter sucking the air in.

And for your information I rebuild crashed helicopters for the govt so I think I can tell the difference in electrical whines and intake noises.
No TB spacer. None included with the kit. It has a rubber connector hose that tightens down over the TB and the intake tube with those circular clamps. No offense meant for the electrical whine knowledge, just sounded like everyone was starting to confuse the noise with the hissing sound from the intake.
't
BTW: You do know your warranty isn't automatically voided just because the dealer says so. They have to prove that whatever broke was a direct result of one of the modifications. They can't just say "oh you modded your truck so it's no longer covered." It's still covered except for the mods of course.

·
Registered
595 Posts
My Grand Cherokee has an K&N kit installed. It makes this ‘noise’ as well. I don’t really mind it since I’m not the one who normally drives it. The whine of my trucks turbo at WOT is much more annoying than the intake on my Jeep.

It gave my Jeep more sound I think. Makes it sound like its got a bigger engine than it really dose. So as I said, I don’t mind it. It sucks more air, and thus it sounds a little different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.