DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm familiar with the whole blower motor issue, and i replaced mine bout a year and a half ago because i only had high..

but today i got the durango back from the shop where they replaced the rear end and for some reason now the blower motor for the front is acting up.. if i have it on the lower settings it works, but if i put it on high it doesnt work..

i tried searching but only came up with the usual posts about people only having the high speed work..

does anyone have an idea what can cause this?

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
either pin 1 on the resistor block or the switch is probably cooked. If you turn the key on and ground the black/tan wire (12ga) the motor should spin full speed

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
black and tan wire off of what? at the motor itself or at the switch? i didnt think it would be the resister since high is the one that is not working.. cause i was under the impression that high bypassed the resister and that was why it was the only speed that worked when the resister went..

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
it's at the resistor block itself, under the dashboard, all ground wiring for the motor passes through it

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'll have to look at that when it gets a lil warmer... my gf noticed today that everything just kinda got switched back one.. cause off is now low, high is off and so forth so at least i still have all my controls..

its just kinda weird though

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
That would be the switch, then. Tell her she figured it out, so she's got to fix it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
lol i think i just might.. guess its time to search ebay for a switch..

ok scratch that ebay one is 200.. gotta search junkyards

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts

·
Jmac06
56 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with my 03 Rango. Got in it yesterday to start it up and let it warm up for a few and when I turned the fan control to high, nothing happened. The rear heat is working fine, but nothing other than a little bit of air that just seeps out is coming from the front vents no matter where I turn the fan control. My mechanic said he's had more 03 Rangos than he can count with this same problem and that is the plug on the blower motor being melted. He may have said the resistor itself is melted. Can't be sure. Probably gonna take it to him today. Too dang cold outside for me to work on something that I'm unfamiliar with.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow thanks for the post and tellin me this i didnt even know it was something i had to look into.. i will check into it this weekend and report back if i have a similiar situation..

also let me know what the mechanic does for you if u can..

·
Jmac06
56 Posts
Will do. I'm gonna at least take a look at it and see if it's something I might be able to do on my own. Try to save myself a few bucks since I think I may need a new alternator soon. At the very least, a new battery, but I'm leaning towards the more expensive repair, since that's usually the way it goes. Anyone know how to determine whether I have a 136 amp or 160 amp alternator? It's a 2003 with a 4.7, but when I look it up on my part store's website, it gives me both options.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
On my 03, we had no fan on High, then somedays it wouldnt work at all, but that was very intermittent. I pulled the resistor block down and pin 1 wire in the back of the harness was cooked. Couldnt even get the resistor out of the harness, it was fused in there. A new pigtail end and a new resistor from the parts counter ($70 total I think) fixed me up!

·
Jmac06
56 Posts
Just took mine to the mechanic. Nothing is cooked, but the resistor is bad. Parts and labor will be about $100, but the part won't be in until Monday unfortunately. Oh well. At least this weekend is supposed to be warmer so I hopefully won't even need my heat.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Glad to hear its nothing worse than that. Good luck to you!

·
Todd O
933 Posts
100 dollars that's a rip off! Buy the resistor from the dealer prob not more than 25 bucks and put it in yourself!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.