DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question may be more attention to mechanics espacially dealership mechanics.

Q: Are so called new replacement or remanufactured transmissions that come from the dealer spraypainted/sprayed with a grey paint?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
I guess it would depend on the supplier. When I was still turning wrenches we used a local shop for trans. rebuilds and they didn't paint them...after a while we switch to Jasper reman. transmissions. Sometimes Jasper left them natural and sometimes we got them painted a gray color.

There's really no need to paint aluminium I think.

However, be wary of those "spray can" rebuilds where some shops take a junkyard piece, clean it up, and then give it a coat of paint to make it look new and then charge you accordingly

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really think its the same tranny 99.9% positive. But I bring it to a tranny shop wed and we will find the truth. I would think that paint retains heat. And please correct me if I am wrong but I thought heat is one of the top killers of trannys?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
It's too bad you didn't copy down the casting numbers of the transmission (who would think to do that anyway?) That way you would 100% know if it is the same transmission.

Yes heat does kill transmissions, but a coat of paint isn't going to hurt anything. I mean they paint the engine right? A good auxillary transmission cooler in circuit with the factory cooler will keep the transmission happy.

·
Registered
291 Posts
One Dodge dealer I do know gives the owner a choice of either having their tranny rebuilt(quite a bit cheaper) or a completely new dodge tranny with a better warranty. This is after the factory warranty was out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.