DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in an engine machine shop in Ontario, Canada and I am building my '97 Neon SOHC with JE's forged, domed pistons that will raise the compression to 10.5:1. I'm going to port and polish the head, add a cam and stiffer springs, ARP head studs, Headman header, and slighter bigger injectors. I know that I am going to have to reprogram the computer or buy an after market one to be compatible. I am looking for someone else who has either made a high comp motor, or knows of someone who has to give me pointers and things to look for when I am building it. Things like clearance issuse, cam recommondations (Comp, Crane, etc) and stuff like that. Any input would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm also getting ready to go down a similar road. What cam and injectors are you thinking of running? Also do you know if the fuel pump can keep up? And what type of numbers do you think you will achieve?

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
I say if you build a car.. build it right.. go with a high compression piston.. like a 11:1 or 12:1.. deck your head .030 or .040, use a mag head, magnum intake manifold (best for sohc), go with a crane 14 or a crane 005 (biggest made for sohc), get a wideband and a safc or some sort of piggy back to tune with.. and shoot for about a 12.5 a/f across the board.. that or a little lower! and you should have a pretty stout car.. anywhere from 150whp-180whp.. good for mid 14's to mid 13's dependin on driver skills and bla bla...

·
HoodooGuru
1,586 Posts
Id say u would be more hp than that.

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Na... have a living, breathing, n/a sohc fully built, its built just about how I said in the above post, but it has the crane 005 grind cam.. and it puts down 178whp

You will be hard pressed to get anymore than that out of a sohc.. and still have a good daily driver

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I agree with 05hemiregcab. Good advice, and he has the expeirence to back it up.

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
rice_eater said:
I agree with 05hemiregcab. Good advice, and he has the expeirence to back it up.

holy shit.. I know this guy :thatfunny is not agreein with me! ;) .... I have some experience with one car with different top end setups... ya know stock ported head, comp 200, crane 12/ magnum cam, then the crane 14 with the mag head, different intake manifolds, box style, magnum, and indy.. They all work good. Its just a matter of what you want to get out of the car, how fast you want it to be, and how often you will be driving it. Because the harder you push a stock car with aftermarket parts, the more things that are gonna break!

Lets just say a stock neon clutch dont like 178 WHP and a 9k redline! :D

The rest of my experience comes from seein what the sohc's can accomplish.. since we have a built turboed auto down here, a stock bottom end, crane 14 black 4 door that lives in la (puts down 150whp and 135wtq, and runs 14.1 @ 98-99) then you have the fully built sohc with the bigger cam and high compression bottom end. 178whp 150wtq and best time the guy we bought it from ran was a 14.0 @ 100-101.. but it did run side by side with a 1.6l supercharged and sprayed crx that ran a 13.7 spinning so he said.. so that setup is good for mid to high 13's easily on slicks! anything faster than that your looking at a dohc or a 2.4 swap with crane 22's or bigger if available!

·
HoodooGuru
1,586 Posts
Well, I got a 400 grind cam, adjustable cam gear, stiffer valve springs and lifters, safc, 2.5 inch cat back turbo flow exhaust, longtube headers, high flow cat, custom cai, top gun cables, ngk spark plugs, fuel catalyst and a spec 1 race clutch. What u think I will pull on the dyno at the crank? Im hoping for 175 - 180 crank hp. That sound about right after a good tune?

·
HoodooGuru
1,586 Posts
Oh and an underdrive pulley. I always forget that!

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
ok now keep in mind for the black car I am sayin whp... so at the crank that thing is like 200 or a little over probably.. (black N/A sohc)

hoogoo.. the 400 is a little smaller than the crane 14.. but its bigger than the 12.. I suggest that you get on neons.org.. and find a good settin for your cam gear (to start out with) you will be able to adjust more on the dyno and see the results whehter they are positive or negative. but lets see..

Is your head stock? No porting or nothing? intake manifold stock? and I have never heard of the fuel catalyst.. help me out on that one please.

But I would say your more like 150-160 at the crank.. if the head is stock that is what is killing you the most.. its chokin that big cam way down... try and get your a 00-02 r/t magnum head.. and tune it really good and you will see some good results.. as you sit right now I would say your a mid 14-high 14 sec car... but if you go out and run a 15.5 at 90+ dont get discouraged.. cause your mph is what your looking at really! everything else can probably use improvement!

·
HoodooGuru
1,586 Posts
That sounds like an awefully conservative crank output mate from my specs.
Im in Aus here and its near impossible to get a mag head.
Anyone know of anyone over there that can port a sohc head for me for a good price? I went to a local engine prep shop here and was quoted $800!
I could turbo it for that! But I don't wanna go there. I just want a nice performing all motor street car. Im aiming for a flat 14 sec car or high 13s at best.
I aint gunna do high comp pistons. Too much work for me. But the upper engine I can do. I just need some help with the head. If anyone has a nice ported head for sale, yell out!

·
HoodooGuru
1,586 Posts
So 05 hemi.
Would u recommend a comp 200 or 400 grind cam for my car without headwork yet?
Its a daily driver so idle can't change too much. Also fuel consumption need to be looked at too. Will a 400 be more thirsty over a 200?
What rating is a 200 grind? Is it close to a crane 12? But more than a mag cam right?
I know I could research this all myself, but if you have already done it!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
A car is only "thirsty" if you give it a chance to drink hoodoo. Keep out of the throttle, less air into the engine, less fuel burned. Chances are with a bigger cam your city mileage will suffer, because you'll be tempted to use that cam, LOL, but highway should not change by more than a few MPG at most.

I dont think the 150-160BHP is overconservative at all. I know what you're thinking, you're thinking, "but a stock DOHC makes that". WRONG. DOHC's were overrated from the factory, they really only put out around 140Bhp, 145 if you have a good one.

As for porting your head, I dont know if the price is fair or not, I have no expeirience with that. But I do know that the Magnum head in stock form will outflow a ported standard SOHC head. The Magnum has massive exhaust ports compared to the standard SOHC. Again, i'm going to agree with 05hemiregcab and tell you to go get an account over on neons.org. LOTS of knowledge over there and you could probably have a magnum head shipped over for less than it would cost you to port your stocker. Just my 2 cents, Good Luck.

Oh and BTW... If you can turbocharge your car for only $800... DO IT. Honda B series engines are the only engines I know of that can be turbocharged for that cheap.... You're looking at more like $2500 + for a neon to do a complete job (turbo, plumbing, fuel support, and tuning).

·
HoodooGuru
1,586 Posts
Ok then.
I just rung a local performance machine shop who will port and polish my head for $250.00!! Woohoo.
Makes doing the valve stem seals easier now that I will have the head off the car.
So I just gotta get a new gasket kit and head bolts now. Should I get the head decked or just putting it back on ok? There will be no warping etc. Its in top condition.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
decking it will raise your compression ratio... Up to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
'97 SOHC engine is going to get JE high compression pistons, Crane 12 cam and stiffer springs, MSD coil pack, 8.8mm plug wires, and programmable DIS2 ignition, ported and polished stock head (because I can do it myself at work for free), CAI, and header... what kind of clearances issues or other problems do you think I might or will run into... and what kind of numbers do you think I can make with that combination?

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
HoodooGuru said:
So 05 hemi.
Would u recommend a comp 200 or 400 grind cam for my car without headwork yet?
Its a daily driver so idle can't change too much. Also fuel consumption need to be looked at too. Will a 400 be more thirsty over a 200?
What rating is a 200 grind? Is it close to a crane 12? But more than a mag cam right?
I know I could research this all myself, but if you have already done it!

You have a good cam with the comp 400.. the only bigger is the crane 14.. and you can get it to idle right.. only probably is a little lope low end like at idle.. rev it to 800-1000 rpms and you wont know its there.. (SAFC) for that.

With all the bolt ons, a bad ass tune, ported head, an intake manifold (indy or magnum) bigger everything, throttle body and stuff like that.. you MIGHT see low low 14's high 13's if your a DAMN good driver.. but I doubt it.. the cam just wont do it without a high compression bottom end to support it!

As rice said, you can get on neons.org, floridaneons.org, and a couple other sites and find the rest of the parts you are looking for, for cheaper! Now about the heads ( stock vs magnum) The exhaust ports are bigger! BUTTTT.. the guy we bought this black car from dynoed both.. a stock ported one and a ported out magnum.. and he said the dyno didnt show anything but like a hp or 2.. and he said the car itself felt stronger with the stock ported one on there! Deckin the head will give you more compression like rice said.. more compression means more power! So I would say do it.. no more than .45 though... and thats pushin it dependin on what kind of high comp pistons you go with for the other guy! Once your done though.. you will have a very strong car that I am sure you will be impressed with!

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
oxayotl21 said:
'97 SOHC engine is going to get JE high compression pistons, Crane 12 cam and stiffer springs, MSD coil pack, 8.8mm plug wires, and programmable DIS2 ignition, ported and polished stock head (because I can do it myself at work for free), CAI, and header... what kind of clearances issues or other problems do you think I might or will run into... and what kind of numbers do you think I can make with that combination?
I give your right around 150-155whp... the cam is just to small to pull in the amount of air needed for the high compression bottom end! go with the crane 14... or if you put a standalone like megasquirt on it then go with the crane 005.. the pull of that thing is just AMAZIN!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Crane 005 is the biggest cam available for a SOHC, and it is just about the biggest you could possible put in there, theres just no more room (or so I hear).

If i remember right, decking the head .045" (yes, thats .045, NOT .45... :D ) with JE 12.0:1 compression pistons brings the overall compression ratio somewhere into the 14-16:1 range... WAY too high for pump gas. There is a guy on neons.org with this type of setup, but it is strickly a drag car, run on alcohol.

05hemiregcab.... About the Magnum vs Stock head dyno comparison, I'm going to throw something out there to think about. Maybe the engine did not need the extra air from porting the magnum? maybe a stock magnum head wouldve been plenty, and porting it was overkill? Its possible. Of course this might suggest that P&P on the stock head would be plenty for Hoodoos application... Do you know what cam was used in each head? I'm assuming the intake and exhaust side of things were sufficient to support the heads, and werent restricting them any.

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
rice_eater said:
Crane 005 is the biggest cam available for a SOHC, and it is just about the biggest you could possible put in there, theres just no more room (or so I hear).

If i remember right, decking the head .045" (yes, thats .045, NOT .45... :D ) with JE 12.0:1 compression pistons brings the overall compression ratio somewhere into the 14-16:1 range... WAY too high for pump gas. There is a guy on neons.org with this type of setup, but it is strickly a drag car, run on alcohol.

05hemiregcab.... About the Magnum vs Stock head dyno comparison, I'm going to throw something out there to think about. Maybe the engine did not need the extra air from porting the magnum? maybe a stock magnum head wouldve been plenty, and porting it was overkill? Its possible. Of course this might suggest that P&P on the stock head would be plenty for Hoodoos application... Do you know what cam was used in each head? I'm assuming the intake and exhaust side of things were sufficient to support the heads, and werent restricting them any.
Not sayin your wrong about the compression ratio... but I honestly dont think that deckin the head is gonna raise the compression that much! If I am not mistaken I thought that deckin the head that much on say like a stock sohc bottom end raised compression to close to what dohc is or a little above that... But I could me wrong... as I said I dont know everything about buildin all motor cars.. but I do know in our black car now that I think of it, more power can be had by fully balancin everything, puttin lighter more expensive parts in it, changin the rod length, workin the crank, punchin the block! but thats ALOT more money than I would ever wanna spend!

And about the head results... you are right.. maybe it was too much air... but I mean with a megasquirt controllin everything, even if it was you could pretty much get everything burnt up and mixed just right to burn good... and the cam used I think was the 005, BUT NOT positive... We had to drive 4 hours to get the car (other guy drove the same) in fl.. and we were able to talk maybe 15-20 min about it, and the occasional phone calls I or my friend gives him!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.