DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new Head unit in my Vehicle. A Clarion VRX785BT. It has a setting for the high pass and low pass filter. The choices are 50hz, 80hz, 120hz, or through. The setup I have is one 400W amp powers the front and rear speakers and I have a 200w amp that powers my 10inch sub. What do these settings do and where should they be set at. The music I listen to is mostly rock and acoustic singer song writers plus a lot of talk radio. Thanks!!!!

·
Tricked out Ram
12,615 Posts
Do you have filter settings on your amps also? If so then I would set the doors amp to HFP (high pass filter) and adjust it with the subs not playing until you get it where you like it. If you have a filter in your sub amp then I would set it to LFP (low pass filter) and set it to either 80 or 50. Most can be 'dialed in' meaning you can turn the adjustment to where you want it. If you amps have filters then set the HU to 'through' or full range and let the amps filter it.

But then if your HU has different RCAs (main and subs or front,rear,subs) and you have the RCAs setup accordingly to each amp then you can use the settings in the HU and leave the filters off on the amps.

It just depends on how you want to do it and what options you have available.

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
I just installed a new Head unit in my Vehicle. A Clarion VRX785BT. It has a setting for the high pass and low pass filter. The choices are 50hz, 80hz, 120hz, or through. The setup I have is one 400W amp powers the front and rear speakers and I have a 200w amp that powers my 10inch sub. What do these settings do and where should they be set at. The music I listen to is mostly rock and acoustic singer song writers plus a lot of talk radio. Thanks!!!!
Generally you'll want to start by crossing them at 80 hz as a starting point, and play with it from there. I noticed your signature says you're using the infinity kappa series coaxials. I've used them in the past in my truck and the midbass on them is god aweful. With that in mind, you might want to bump the crossover up to 120 hz and see how you like it. If you level match the gains of each amp and blend the sub well, you'll get a warmer sound, but listen for the subs location with your eyes closed. If you can hear where the sound is coming from at low to medium volume levels (before you start feeling the sub's impact) then maybe move it back down to 80 hz. I personally adjust my crossover points pretty regularly, so I like to use my head unit to filter my signals. If your amps have adjustable crossover dials (a turnable knob, not a switch) then you might prefer to fine tune it with the amps on-board filters. Usually you don't want the signals overlapping. It can muddy up the crossover range, where your sound system is usually at it's weakest.

For talk radio, you'll probably want to find out how to turn your subwoofers down using the headunit. Too much bass when you're playing speech can draw away from the sound and become distracting.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys thanks for the help. The HPF & LPF are each set on the corresponding amps so on the HU I set the fliters to through. Is this the correct thing to do. My amps each have screws to adjust the range and it goes from 50-750 hz. I haven't messed with those since they were installed. The quality of the sound coming from the Clarion unit is so much better than the Jensen. It is really remarkable. Should I leave the set-up like this or turn the filters off and use the ones on the HU. Thanks again.

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
It depends on if you're a "hands on" audio guy or not. You've got it set up in one correct way, but to mess with it you'll obviously have to adjust the amps themselves. Hopefully not while your driving :D.

If you want to mess with them while you're driving you'll want to set everything up with your head unit. I, perhaps shamefully, like to sit in my truck quite often to listen to music, so I like to be able to play with it on the head unit. My head unit though has quite a few adjustable options. If your new one doesn't have as much flexibility, then set it and forget it. As time goes on, you might decide you hear something you don't like, and you'll want to play with it on the deck. It's not usually a good idea to use both the amps and the head unit to make crossover adjustments, but if you know what you're doing, you can use it as another tool in your tool box.

Crossover tweaking is large scale sound shaping, while EQ is fine tuning. Don't get caught up messing with the crossover when what you're looking for is EQ.

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
Yay! Quadruple digit post count!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.