DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally recieved my HIDs and only had time to install the fogs.
They work great with no flickering except there is one slight issue.
When I press the fog light button next to the headlight switch, the whole dash goes nuts. Everything goes to the position as if the car was off and then goes back to the state it was at before I pressed the button; the HIDs do not come on at this point. Then I press the button a second time and the HIDs (fogs) come on. During this event my D stays on.

Is this normal with HIDs?
Do I need some kind of accessory?

They're brand new 35w hid single beam 9006s rated @ 6000k...

To those I promised, i'll get some pics up once I installed the headlights this weekend.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Mine doesn't do that.... I press my button and my HIDs come on... no funky dash stuff...

Hmm do you have the automatic headlight option? (I do)

what brand of HIDs did you get?

·
Power Wagon #1605
16,086 Posts
Where did you get them from?

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
http://www.xenoneyes.com. These HIDs feel like they are good quality to me.

I contacted the company and they told me I'm most likely in need of a relay for the fogs. One did not come with the 9006s (Fogs). I haven't had a chance to install my headlight HIDs (h13) yet, but they did come with a relay/battery harness...

Do you think having no relay/battery harness is the issue? I think the HIDs are drawing too much power from the factory fog power.

Right now the fog lights are hooked up to power through the factory wiring.
The ballast is just connected to the old fog cable and then the ballast is connected to the fog bulb.

Edit: I have no automatic light option on my Durango.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Hmm that site really doesn't give a lot of info about the tech specs of their lights...

Are they slim ballasts? full size ballasts? etc?

I'm running slim digital ballast directly into my fog light wires like you are without any relays.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm that site really doesn't give a lot of info about the tech specs of their lights...

Are they slim ballasts? full size ballasts? etc?

I'm running slim digital ballast directly into my fog light wires like you are without any relays.
They are full size ballasts. Guy responded within minutes and said I should buy a relay harness since they are getting insufficent power...

How much do one of those run? Hopefully under $50 :dunno:

Btw, where did you run the relay cable for your headlights? I'm referring the the cable that has a short end that plugs into the right headlight and then a long end that goes to the left headlight...

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
what size bulbs do you have, we can get you a harness if that is the issue.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
a relay is cheap, but then you need to splice and stuff unless you find ends etc etc.. If you can find a plug and play harness it's easier...

The wire.. going between the driver headlight and the pass headlight I ran just behind the grill, tied it to the centre support... all good.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a relay is cheap, but then you need to splice and stuff unless you find ends etc etc.. If you can find a plug and play harness it's easier...

The wire.. going between the driver headlight and the pass headlight I ran just behind the grill, tied it to the centre support... all good.
I don't wanna mess around with the wiring. I'm gonna see if the place I bought the HIDs from sells a harness for the bulbs.

I was thinking of running the wire in that place. Did you remove the grill or just run it behind it without removal of grill? :huh:

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also where did you mount the ballasts for the headlights and fogs? I currently have the ballasts for the fogs mounted inside the bumper and zip-tied up very good. They haven't moved at all and i drive on some bumpy roads some times :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.