DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought myself an 06 slt lonestar QC witha 4.7 V8 for 20,000k, I go over to another dealership a month later and they tell they where giving those same ones but with a HEMI for 22,000k. What do you guys think? does this guy sound crazy or did i lose out on a hemi? Mind you Im 18 and I only could be finaced for 21k at 390 a month. Thanx for your input :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Why not, is the Hemi a $2000 option?

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
I think its like $1800 for the hemi and $1100 for the 5speed trand that goes with it. So if they are only adding $2000 sounds like a deal

·
Registered Confuser
6,365 Posts
i think if your only 18 (so am i) then its probably best to go with the 4.7 insurance wise

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
Nathan K said:
i think if your only 18 (so am i) then its probably best to go with the 4.7 insurance wise
Good point. Sometimes a "good deal" may return to bite you in the ass.

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
Damn the price on the Hemi must have went up. I just looked at the window sticker from my 03 and it was a $795 option!:crazy:

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
kruser79 said:
Good point. Sometimes a "good deal" may return to bite you in the ass.

I had a "good deal" on a leftover 05 srt-10 reg cab. Then I called about insurance and it was like $450 a month. Wasn't such a good deal anymore. I don't think my hemi is too bad though I'm only 20 and I pay $197 a month for my truck and my beater together

·
If only I had more $$$
3,700 Posts
My insurance company didn't ask what I had for an engine in Aug, its just registered as a 2006 1500 qc 4x4

Ask your insurance company for a quote on the truck, don't say the engine unless they ask, then at least with the quote they can't raise your rate if they find out its a hemi. Nonetheless really shouldn't matter unless you have a jackass insurance company.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Once the ins. company runs the vin they have all the specs on the truck, and a quote is an estimate and subject to change with equipment and driver record in most states

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah thanx guys that makes alot more sense now I already pay alot for insurance and a hemi might eat up the rest of my money each month.

·
TRICK TURBO
3,865 Posts
think of it like riding a bike.. first you had training wheels(4.7) then you take them off(HEMI)..

·
15,912 Posts
06ramhemi said:
think of it like riding a bike.. first you had training wheels(4.7) then you take them off(HEMI)..
Personally I take offense to this statement. Where is it written if you have a hemi you have a better truck and the 4.7 is a starter truck. You have 100 more HP, that's it. My 4.7 does just fine and remember, the Hemi was not available until 2003, so some of us did not have a choice!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
i read last week that dodge had a 4month inventory of 06's on trucks/suvs that they had trouble getting dealers to take due to the fact that 07's are shipping and are on the lots allready
so yes dodge will deal to get the 06's of the lot

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
4.7L is by no means the "starter" truck. I'm not offended, but I wouldn't go making BluRam think he got less of a truck just because it's a 4.7L. I love my 4.7L, and would buy another over a 5.7L in a minute. Check out my 4.7L owners poll (http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92863), and you'll see that only 43 of the 421 voters said they wish the had gotten the 5.7L. That's only 10.21%.
Don't worry BluRam, you got a great truck at a fair price. And just be glad that you never have to worry about the Hemi tick, or changing 16 spark plugs. :DAlso, feel free to join the 287 enthusiast club (http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93334). Just post on the thread, for a number. Plenty of fans there too.

Now for the price. Yes the 5.7L is technically only a $795 option. This has been covered a billion times on a million threads.
The problem is that you can't get it in manual, so you are forced to spend another $1000 on the auto transmission, or who knows how much more for a 2500 with a manual. Most 5.7L are SLT's, or Sports, or Off Roads, or some other package. It's really tough to find a 5.7L with minimal options. At which point the dealer will be less willing to negotiate, because they know they've got the only 5.7L around that you want. You pretty much have to special order it if you want a base model 5.7L. So either you pay for options you aren't looking for, or you get bent over at the stealership. That $795 option is almost always packaged with at least $1500 of other crap, which essentially makes it a $2000-$3000 option.
So yes if it's identically the same except the motor, it is only $795, but that isn't that easy to find. Even then you may be able to get the 4.7L cheaper, because the dealer knows the media has made the "Hemi" more desirable to most buyers. They probably won't be able to move an identical 4.7L for only $795 cheaper, so they'll make you a deal to get it off the lot.
Being that BluRam bought a LoneStar, SLT, then yes $22K for a 5.7L sounds about right compared to a 4.7L at $20K. Not everybody is looking for all these options, and shouldn't be looked down on for not buying into hemimania.

$20K for a '06 full size QC truck with a V8, sounds like a good deal to me. Don't hang your head BluRam, you did good for yourself.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Could the deal on a 5.7 been that sweet??? Possibly. But I will guarantee you that I dipshit dealer will always offer sweeter deals "Last Week" when they know you are in no position to buy. Just for grins you should have told him you were interested and lets do the paperwork on it "NOW". Then see what he says. Of course you can always back out of the deal at the last moment, and all states have a right of recision law. But that might would have told you if the deal was real of fiction to call him at his bluff.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I bought the 4.7, and don't regret it a second. I paid 20 for my 06 QC.

·
Power Wagon #1605
16,089 Posts
Back in Jan 05 I paid less than 20 out the door for my 04 Sport QC Hemi

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ok, Ok,

Let's not turn this into a 4.7 bashing thread. Remember, they are our brothers, and to be honest with you I have seen some modded that will make me sweat and I have what I think is a damn fast Hemi. However, for insurance purposes and for his age ( remembering when I was his age and how I drove...NO FEAR ) the 4.7 is probably the better choice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.