DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to all of this, but have a few questions. I will be visiting here a lot as you hear my backstory. Here we go... In the early 90’s my dad bought a 79 Power Wagon swb. We used to go fishing in this truck together and I had some good memories with girls “I just started driving” and used to cruise the wheels off the ol’ girl. A few years later my dad sold it to my brother in law, who had it a few years and then he sold it. Moral of the story my dad passed away a few years after he sold it and I was 18 at the time, would of been in 1996. So all these years passed and I searched and searched and found my dads truck in a field, believe it or not only 25 miles from me. Who knew. Now, it is back in the family and I’m going to restore it, as it is in pretty rough shape. Getting a lil emotional typing this, lol. This build means a lot to me and it’s all approved by the wife haha. I’m not real familiar with Mopar.
Do they make a full box side for the 6.5ft box ? Vs patch panels. I feel I have a good hold on other parts. And I will need some solid info on electrical. Do they make a new complete harness for these trucks ? I heard yes and no and that military had ahold of a lot of them. And is anyone very familiar with VIN#. Just want to see what options it came with. It has factory air, but it has bucket seats with a buddy seat in the middle that lifts up and has storage. Is this normal ? And 4wd has lo, lo-loc hi, hi-loc. Is this a special option ? Few have told me this is a special option back in 79. I know this post is a lot, but I’m super excited and honored that I get to do this.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sounds like a hell of a project and I wish you the best. Unfortunately this forum (and other forums like it) seem to be dead. I think Facebook, Instagram and Reddit killed them off, although this particular portion of Dodge Talk (Vintage Trucks) was never very lively in the first place. Your best bet will be to use the search function of the forum and also try looking for facebook groups or reddit pages.

I'm actually logging in for the first time in 10 years because I found an old picture of my beloved truck and was wondering what these guys were up to on the forums. Ghost town..

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Unfortunately this forum (and other forums like it) seem to be dead. I think Facebook, Instagram and Reddit killed them off,
No, The owners/administrators did it! One they changed the site and two they lost everybody's passwords due to security issues. That was the last nail in the "old dodge talk" coffin and 95% of the people disappeared. Look threw the site requests/comments thread(if you can find it with the new site software) lots of info on what they did. As for the op, got any pics? I also have a 79 power wagon and can help. The seats where an option, The trucks back then came with full time 4WD so nothing special about the t case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, The owners/administrators did it! One they changed the site and two they lost everybody's passwords due to security issues. That was the last nail in the "old dodge talk" coffin and 95% of the people disappeared. Look threw the site requests/comments thread(if you can find it with the new site software) lots of info on what they did. As for the op, got any pics? I also have a 79 power wagon and can help. The seats where an option, The trucks back then came with full time 4WD so nothing special about the t case.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Agree that this site is pretty quiet...

LMC has panels and Dodge Connections has new/oem parts and a good Used Parts board. Also keep a search on eBay. Gazillions of these trucks were made but not that many are left and part prices are reflecting that. ($~250+ for a non-working tach!)

Is there a good story to how you re-found the truck?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was out in the country getting some parts off a truck at a buddies house and decided to take the scenic route home. I was coming up over a hill on a dirt road and saw a red and white dodge out of the corner of my eye, and I was like “ man that looks like a truck my dad owned”. I knew some people that lived in that area, as my father-in-law only lives a few miles away—— weird, I know. So I asked around and they said who lived there and then it all clicked. I kinda knew where the truck went to a degree and I did know all owners for some years, but I thought the truck was in a salvage yard by then. It wasn’t ! It was in a field only a few miles away from where I fish and spend time with my family to get out of town on a weekend. I got ahold of the owner and worked a deal out and he was happy to sell it back to where it came from. He had many people ask him to sell it, but never would until I asked and he knew it would be put to good use. It’s in rough shape, but I have lots of good memories in that truck and you can’t put a price on that. My dad owned a lot of cool stuff over the years, but I couldn’t find any of his older cars and trucks. My brother is restoring a 57 Chevy pickup big window that my dad owned when I was a baby and is still in the family over 40 years. I have found a parts truck with lots of good parts to start with. I was 19 when my dad passed and it was very sudden. I am the youngest of 7 kids, so mom had to sell a lot of his stuff to help with medical and funeral cost. I wasn’t financially able to buy much of anything, but I am now and I am going to put an old Mopar back on the road. My wife is even excited 😁. I’m hoping a few years and it will be done for my oldest daughters senior year prom. And hoping I can take my kids fishing in it, someday. Sorry for the novel, but I’m pretty passionate about the truck. “It’s not just a truck” it’s memories of my dad driving it, and that’s all I have left and I’m not letting that go.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Great story, thanks for sharing. Good luck with the "family truck".

We bought our son a 78 Warlock clone. It's gone back and forth in the family and now (with a new -to-it) Magnum engine, the plan is for to go to Maine for his wedding in June 2020.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts