DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Undercover ninja
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I have been on the forums (life gets busy).

Ref: 2005 SCSB 2wd w/ the 5.7L, essentially stock (now)

Here over the last 2-3 months, I started noticing that when I was running on flat, level ground with little load on the engine around 1200-1500 RPMs, the RPMs would fluctuate. It started out only on occasion where I couldn't always replicate the issue, but it has become increasingly common to the point where it happens daily. The revs are only surging about 100 rpms and then dropping back down, then doing it repeatedly with the timing of a heartbeat. It usually happens around 30 mph when I'm in top gear with just a tiny bit of throttle on it to keep it at a steady speed, but it has gotten to where it does it all the way up to 50 mph sometimes. It will even do it in a higher gear when I am crawling through a parking lot. Once you get above 1600 rpms, it goes away completely.

I first thought it was my 3715 Superchips programming catching an odd hiccup, so I detuned it back to stock. The problem persisted so I switched out my CAI back to the OEM Hemi hat intake and removed the AirRam resistor mod, and it's still acting funny.

Fast forward to two days ago. I went outside and cranked my truck, but when I went to give it throttle from idle, it hesitated for a second and then revved up. It was almost like the truck wasn't reading that I pressed the accelerator and then realized it all of a sudden. It has done it the last few times that I have driven the truck and will continue to do it for the first few minutes of driving it and then will quit all together.

I did have a random CEL about the time the first issue started, showing P0113 Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input, but it went away.

I don't know if the issues are related, but I need to get them fixed pretty quick. I've finally convinced my wife I need a new truck, but I don't want to get shafted on a trade-in or make a private party sale only to have it take a dump on the new owner a few weeks later.

Thoughts?

·
Im wired!!!
2,344 Posts
Time to ground it...

·
Undercover ninja
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After doing some additional research online, I figured it was probably either the EGR valve or a dirty throttle body. I went to a local auto parts store and got 2 bottles of brake cleaner for $10 and then off to Vatozone where I got a new EGR valve for $40. Replaced the EGR valve (easy process, don't forget the deep socket 10mm) and then removed the throttle body for cleansing. It looked a little dirty, but once I got it off and looked at the back, I was disgusted. Black as a whore's heart and nastiness everywhere. With only 48k, I expected a much cleaner TB, but I wasn't so lucky. It took a whole can of brake cleaner and a splash of the second one to clear it up with a little rubbing with paper towels in between. Note: Use freaking safety glasses while using the brake cleaner. Everything is all fun and games until that crap splashes back into your freakin cornea. The fun ends there.

Installed the freshly cleaned TB, did a PCM reset, and I was off to the races. Both issues were fixed and I had no new CELs. I'm not going to put the CAI back on, but will reinstall the Superchips programming until it is time for me to sell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.