DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a 160 mile round trip to the city today and got back into town and I thought the truck was shifting weird. My green truck with the 46re automatic. It had been occasionally been doing the 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2 shifting bullshit at slow speeds but when I stopped at the first stop sign going into town it seemed to go straight from first into third. Took off from another stop and it did it again, so I put the shifter in 2 and sure enough it had missed second, the revs were too different. Got to the next corner, stopped, and when I hit the gas to drive ahead slow it was like it paused, then a snap sound. Thought I bust a U-joint or something. But it drives ahead, now with a grinding noise, playing card in the bike spoke kind of noise. Drives like this through first and second grinding the whole way, and any sudden throttle just slips. Once it hits third gear it drives perfectly, takes fourth gear and locks it up just like it's supposed to. No problem there. I can drive down the highway and resume my cruise session as if there's nothing wrong. So why are 1 and 2 doing this? If you torque it at all it will just slip, you gotta take it easy to get it into third and then you can step on it. It's as if I only have half a transmission. Think something broke inside? Low reverse band or something? What do you guys think? I had this trans resealed when the new motor went in the truck, that was December '05. About 30k miles on the fluid and filter that was done at the same time.

· Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Second gear is gone. Took it for a ride today and it clicks through first, then jumps straight into third. So I stopped, and I tried shifting manually, starting in first. Shift into 2 and it stays in first. Put it in D and it takes third gear and goes from there as if nothing's wrong. I can drive down the highway and stand on it all the way up to 100 and it holds together, but stop and it's a different story. Everyone's telling me to just pull the motor back out and bolt it to the five speed in the other truck.

· Transmission Man!
3,519 Posts
Drop the pan. You might have just lost the band strut.(but I have never heard one make a noise when it did)

· Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate it. It makes a sound just like a playing card in a bicycle spoke, gets faster as the truck speed increases until it shifts. Do you think it's too far gone if it's just a band strut or something? I was kind of thinking I should just order a performance trans and do away with this one. There's a good well-known trans shop about an hour away, guy I worked with before had his trans redone there and it was good. Dare me to drive it there if it's worth a look? I'm kind of leaning towards a new trans anyway, but if it's gonna scatter parts all over the highway I'd just haul it. A cheap fix might be the answer too if that's all it is, but if it was something that would just break again I'd rather replace the entire thing with something bulletproof so I don't have to keep pulling it out of the truck to fix shit. Thanks again.

· Transmission Man!
3,519 Posts
I would drop the pan,if it is full of metal,haul it to the other shop.
If it isn't full of metal,check the band strut.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.