·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
This past April I pulled the engine and me an a friend of mine tore the engine down and took it to a local machine shop. It took a couple of months to get it back due to the shop being backed up. They ended up boring it about .030 over, balancing the engine, new cam bearings, turning the crank and connecting rods (.010).

They also supplied me with a rebuild kit. This is the first time I have ever helped rebuild an engine. My friend that was helping has rebuilt several Chevy engines. It was a lot of fun doing this.

We did run into a few problems. When my friend degreed the cam he read it at 110 degrees when it should have been at 106 degrees. I had a 9 position crank gear so he set it at 4 degrees advanced and then checked it. Setting this crank gear 4 degrees should have moved the cam 2 degrees advanced. When he checked it came out 4 degrees retarded!! (which make no sense!) He retarded the crank gear 4 degrees and the cam came out to 106. He told me the degree wheel does not lie, but I didn't feel too comfortable. I contacted Marty at KRC and he said that the reading was wrong and I should set it in dot to dot and leave it. SO that is what I did.

While all this was going on a member here "Dodgepickup" had started helping me. He really encouraged me to double check on the cam settings. After a lot of thought on this, he showed me that my friend was reading the wrong side of the degree wheel and that is why the reading was coming out backwards. So straight up (dot to dot) was about where it needed to be!

I owe a lot to "Dodgepickup". He helped me out and really stuck with me thru the rebuild. After I got the engine buttoned up, I tried to crank it. It would start but would barely run. Something was wrong. Dodgepickup suggested that maybe the distributer was off. And then while we were trying to figure out what the problem was, Dodgepickup asked me when we installed the lifters, did we install with the oil hole pointing up. I really didn't remember my friend saying anything about this. And then on top of all this, I noticed the rear seal in the intake had moved when I installed it, so I would have to take the intake off (I needed to check the distributer anyway). So while I had the intake off I realized the distributer was a tooth off. While I was in there I checked the lifters. All but three of them were pointing the wrong way!! Thanks for catching that Dodgepickup!!!:rck::rck::rck:

After work the next day I started putting everything back together. I was really tired, and when I tried to crank the engine it wouldn't fire. I noticed I left a wire from the alternator disconnected, fixed that. So I tried it again. Still no fire. Then I noticed the CPS wasn't hooked up, fixed that. So I tried it again. IT fired!! Then I noticed I left the throttle cable disconnected. So I hooked it up and cranked the engine. IT ran!! Then after a few minutes the temp gauge was almost to the red and check engine lights were on. I shut her down. I noticed the serpintine belt was still off!! Duh!! I learned never work on an engine when you are tired!! After this it ran pretty well. I ran it at about 2000-2500 rpms for about 15 minutes and then changed the oil.

After all this it would run but would die when you came to a stop. I took it to a dealership and they set the fuel sync and IAC stops. This got it tunning well!!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are a few pictures:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
awsome job i love the way that cam sounds now im wishing i went bigger with mine

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What cam do you have?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Nice truck. How many cubes does that make it now?

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
comp cams crs264hr-12 from summit 210/220 duration .512 lift 112 deg. sep
here is the cam im putting in the 390

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
thats what ive been waiting for......the vid , sounds great.......bet she drives even better.....hows the power feel ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
i just picked up a comp 262h i believe it is for my 318,,,,is it gonna give me a nice lopey idle?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone! The power is getting better. Hemifiver wrote a new program Friday for the truck, and that really helped. I wish I could afford new gears, that would really make a difference. The power I have now ain't bad though! I haven't really tried the truck (yet) due to only having about 370 miles on it. Another thing, it just wouldn't ever warm up correctly, so yesterday I pulled the thermostat out and it was stuck open! This may help me a little because the truck was spending a lot of time in open loop.

Dviper, in a 318 you may have some lope with that cam, but that seems to be more of a torque cam.

·
Black Sunshine!
994 Posts
Very Nice!!!

·
Jonathan
135 Posts
Engine looks great, & sounds awesome. Hard work pays off!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would like to go to a dyno and get everything dialed in. Money is a little tight right now. I may try to put a stall in next. It does need a little push off the line.

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
Man your problem sound like mine. Im rebuilding a 350 right now and its just eating my lunch everyday! And I too have learned to just call it when im tired, lots a shit goes wrong.

Nice looking engine, glad you worked out all the bugs, take your time breaking it in, and keep up the great work.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man your problem sound like mine. Im rebuilding a 350 right now and its just eating my lunch everyday! And I too have learned to just call it when im tired, lots a shit goes wrong.

Nice looking engine, glad you worked out all the bugs, take your time breaking it in, and keep up the great work.
Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.