DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Dodge Megacab 1500. I have never had a problem with my vehicle but over the past couple of days, I have had some starting issues between the battery or alternator.

Yesterday I could no get the acceleration from a stop in my opinion like I have in the past.

I was informed by a Dodge Mechanic that I should not get an Tune up until the vehicle start showing signs 4 years ago. Well I am 186k and I know I may need one.

My question is what makes up a Tune up for a HEMI Truck and can I do it?

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
A tune up is basic. Spark plugs , wires', air filter, oil , check for leaks top off fluids, if you want to get down and dirty you can change the transmission fluid and put a new tranny filter. Etc.. If you feel you can do that then go right ahead.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
If you have 186K on the original plugs, you're 'bout seven intervals late. Probably no plug wires by '06. Drop 'n' drain and new filters for the tranny. Clean the throttle body, clean/replace the PCV valve. At 186K, it'll be pretty grungy. Change/clean the EGR valve, if it has one. Nothing fancy for plugs. The Mega probably uses the same as the rest: NGK5306 (x 16). Plug change isn't difficult, but it ain't a walk in the park, either. Figure 4-5 hours if you've never done it. Don't "King Kong" the plugs! Finger tight plus about three degrees.

·
Registered
34 Posts
4-5 hours for plugs??? Lol. That's crazy I would say 2 hours max even if you never done it before.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Takes me about 3 hours to change the plugs on my '06 1500 Hemi (Quad Cab). That's with a few beer breaks. '06 is coil on plug so no wires to worry about.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
4-5 hours for plugs??? Lol. That's crazy I would say 2 hours max even if you never done it before.

I've done my Hemis twice each. The 300C is easier. Takes a bit over two hours. The Ram is way more difficult due to access. 3+ hours. Anyone who claims absurdly short times is skipping steps and not being thorough.

·
Registered
466 Posts
2.5 hours for plugs. Problem is no room. I added a 1" body lift on my truck so I could move a socket around easier. Just do 1 side 1 night and next side the other. It's not hard. You need to do plugs ever 30K. Your electrode is prob non existant. My truck got 10mpg with old plugs, new aif filter and new plugs hit 12mpg all day long, did a bunch of other stuff i get 15mpg outta a full exhaust opened up on my my 5.7

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.