DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
MFIC
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant even believe I am even thinking about this - I REALLY wish I knew about this website BEFORE i made my HEMI purchase.

I put on about 30K miles per yer (at the least) on my vehicles and have been averaging 12-14 miles per gallon with my HEMI. Granted, its a 4X4, with 315 BFGs, and the torsion bars cranked so I know I have that working against me.

Anyways, I just bout the HEMI in late Feb and have about 10.5K miles on it. Do you think I would be able to get full KBB used car trade in on it? I am seriously considering getting the CTD with the amount of miles I put on a vehicle. I'll tow something ONCE in a blue moon and occasionly have light to moderate loads in the bed of the truck.

If i did do the trade, i would obvoiusly take my brand new 315 BFG's to the CTD. And I believe ive read in this forum that the 315's would not effect the MPG on the CTD, right?

What do you all think? Basically, would it be worth it to go from a HEMI to CTD if you were in my shoes? With the employee pricing and the searching Ive been doing on carmaxDOTcom in my area, you can get a CTD for anywhere from 29K - 37K.

Thoughts? :help:

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
As has been said before... to make the swap for the purpose of mileage, it's not worth it.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get full KBB... but with the deals out now, I don't see you being able to get more, and that's what might hurt you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The gas milage alone might not be a good reason to swap, but tack that on to the fact that ur CTD should easily roll w/ no major problems to the 300,000's and beyond, that is...if you take care of it right. Ur resale will be better than the hemi too. I would do it, but it depends on how much principle is left on your loan...I might be alone with saying this...but I don't think it would be worth takin more than 3 or 4 grand in the @ss. With the 2006's about to roll out, most of the dealers are gonna be pretty eager to get rid of their 2005 inventory...so they should cut you a good deal, just make em work for you. just make sure u take advantage of the employee pricing, cuz it ends august 1st (and its 6% off invoice!). Havin a hemi might be a cool thing to say, but a properly equipped ctd will smoke em...literally ;). Check out autotrader.com and cars.com. Might wanna check out ebaymotors.com too...its gone now, but i saw a 2005 2500 4x4 CTD w/ 6k miles, FULLY LOADED (leather & suede, infinity spkrs, navigations...the works) for $32,995. For a deal that good it would be worth to pay to get it shipped, or to fly out to it and drive it back.

·
MFIC
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bubba_Hemi_DET said:
As has been said before... to make the swap for the purpose of mileage, it's not worth it.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get full KBB... but with the deals out now, I don't see you being able to get more, and that's what might hurt you.
Hmph.. even if I put over 30K a year on my vehicles? I knew going into the HEMi the MPG wasnt great, but 12.5?

That makes me want to :YUK: .

If I get a CTD and can get what you CTD guys are claiming on MPG, then to me, its worth it; let alone the longetivity of a diesel. I dont think I can live much longer with 12.5 MPG.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Russ,

Go with the CTD. You will be a lot happier. Especially if you start modding it. You get the horsepower/torque along with the mileage. It is so unreal. All of my friends ragged me for a while when I first got my 99 CTD. That is until they took a ride with me. Now several of them have taken their trucks and sports cars to trade in on a diesel. Plus, it's a great investment. Do a comparison...How much do you think that Hemi will be worth when it has 150K miles on it? Now, how much do you think the CTD will be worth with the same mileage? Think about it. It's definitely your decision and I'm sure you can get several opinions here and on the Hemi forum here as well to help you with your decision. Good luck and happy driving!

CM

·
MFIC
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im going looking tonight. been doing some preliminary research online and think i can get into one for less than I am paying now. employee pricing.. we'll see.. Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
there are great deals out there on CTD's. in march, i bought a 2004.5 2500 4x4 SLT loaded w/ CTD for $33,100. It was leased for 6 months and turned in. It had 6500 miles on it. I found it on autotrader.com.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Many of us have done it.

I bought a Hemi 2003 (2500), 8 months later I traded for a CTD using the same gas excuse.
I lost thousands on the transaction and to my surprise once I got the diesel it was as if the truck came alive not just on the power aspect but in general. You see, they can apply a hemi engine in a lot of different models (that is where the hemi engine excels: Jeep, magnum, 300, rams 1500 soft usage, etc. Absolutely not flaming the hemi engine is just that the CTD is very different. (Like the old orange and apples comparison)
If you do it, you will learn, like I did, to appreciate the engineering behind the ISB CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL.

I currently have a 4.5 with some goodies on it, thinking about the megacab and absolutely happy with the CTD.

21 K and around 20.1 miles x gallon.

I can’t say enough good things about the CTD and is only a 6 cylinders!

GO FOR IT!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've still got my 94' v-10 dually and I now have an 04.5 ctd and I'll tell you I will probably never own a gasoline powered truck again. You can make BIG power for very little investment not to mention it'll last for a 1/2 a million miles or more with proper maintainance.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Russellabjr said:
I cant even believe I am even thinking about this - I REALLY wish I knew about this website BEFORE i made my HEMI purchase.

I put on about 30K miles per yer (at the least) on my vehicles and have been averaging 12-14 miles per gallon with my HEMI. Granted, its a 4X4, with 315 BFGs, and the torsion bars cranked so I know I have that working against me.

Anyways, I just bout the HEMI in late Feb and have about 10.5K miles on it. Do you think I would be able to get full KBB used car trade in on it? I am seriously considering getting the CTD with the amount of miles I put on a vehicle. I'll tow something ONCE in a blue moon and occasionly have light to moderate loads in the bed of the truck.

If i did do the trade, i would obvoiusly take my brand new 315 BFG's to the CTD. And I believe ive read in this forum that the 315's would not effect the MPG on the CTD, right?

What do you all think? Basically, would it be worth it to go from a HEMI to CTD if you were in my shoes? With the employee pricing and the searching Ive been doing on carmaxDOTcom in my area, you can get a CTD for anywhere from 29K - 37K.

Thoughts? :help:
Hey Russell,
I made the switch a few months back and have been loving every minute of it! There are a few things for you to consider before making the plunge:

First of all, as far as mpg goes, you will see a wide range of what people are getting (not unlike some of the HEMI owners that say they get 18 - 20 mpg). I always averaged around 11.5 - 12 mpg in my HEMI. I now have about 2800 miles on my CTD, and have been getting around 15 mpg in mixed driving. Supposedly, the fuel efficiency continues to increase in the CTD over the first 10K miles or so. I hope to end up in the high teens with my 35/12.5/20 wheels and 3" lift (which would destroy the economy of HEMI).

Secondly, the dealership is only going to give you KBB "fair" condition, no matter how pristine your truck is. If it is a 2005, they will most likely deduct for mileage (but you'll be fine if it is a 2004). With the deals they are giving on new trucks, the resale market has taken a beating - so don't be surprised when they offer you less than you were thinking for your trade.

Third, the fact that you put so many miles per year on the truck definitely lends itself to the CTD. The HEMI is a great motor (I LOVE it in my 300C), but the CTD was just built to run and run and run!

Even though you might "take it in the shorts" in the short term, the CTD is the way to go. I can't imagine trying to sell your HEMI in 3 years with 100K+ miles. If you switch to the CTD, you won't even have to think of selling at that point (100K miles), and can run another 6+ years or so. If you look at the cost per year of driving, the CTD blows the HEMI away.

Enough rambling. Good luck in your decision. Keep us posted on what you decide.

·
MFIC
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow.. just got back from 2 dealers. i wasnt expecting to get KBB for my truck (just under 28K) but I was expecting a little less (not 21K!). Considering what I owe, it wouldnt be a beating, it would be an ass whooping. however, i'll still havent closed the book yet..

the employee pricing is working against me here.. you can go to a dealer and get a 4x4 like mine for 26K.

time to crunch some more numbers..

Thanks guys for the replies.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bummer man...just keep working them. Might have to wait until after august 1st, but that 6% discount you'd lose would prolly come back in the trade-in value they would want to give you then, so in my eyes...either way ur back at square one. Just remember its not a sin to rip off the dealer...its vengance! ;) They'll be anxious to get rid of the 05's when the 06's hit the lots hard. Good luck.

·
MFIC
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
10-4 on that. ill probably wait till when they wanna get rid of the 05's in a bad way.. what is that, like september?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
just remember...they never have a difficult time selling the CTD's. You aren't going to get a better price than right now. As far as the trade goes, it won't necessarily be better in a few months. I would say, if you are going to do it -- bite the bullet and do it. It won't get any easier until the truck is completely paid off. The number of miles you drive in a year is going to decrease the value faster than your payments decrease your loan.
My 2 cents.

·
The Real Mccoy
298 Posts
Well been a while for me since my last post. I traded my 2003 hemi 4x4 SLT for a 2005 4x4 off road quad cab diesel. The hemi is the best motor ever created amen. But I must say I am impressed with the deisel and can't wait to mod it out some. Maybe you folks who have experience can pass along some to me. Oh The folks retired Chrylser so I have had the employee plan my whole life. I made money on the trade which there are pics in the gallery of the old truck and soon to be pics of the new one. Any pass along some mod info on the new diesel I would appreciate it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.