Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOt sure if anyone here has seen this, this is from a guy on Rumblebee.org

http://www.rumblebee.org/viewtopic.php?t=15855&highlight=tick

This just in. I finally got sick of all the talk and speculation about the hemi tick. i got it on my truck and i have worked on a dozen of these at the dealership. I called the STAR engineers at chrysler. they have come up with an answer. On many of the hemi engines the ticking noise is none other than the exhaust valves. according to chrysler engineers the tick is caused by excessive valve stem to valve guide clearence. MOPAR has now revised the exhaust valves with fatter (29 microns) stems. the part number for the valves is : 53021551AB

according to chrysler the valves should be isolated and replaced as necessary. I am going to replaced the exhaust valves in my bee next week. i'll let you know if it works

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
This is great info. When somebody has this done let me know.

·
ITS SO SLOW !
1,653 Posts
Nevermind , i went a read the thread . Great find i will be getting mine fixed next week .

·
9,640 Posts
I swore up and down that my truck did not have any kind of tick until I was at the bank the other day, and it echoed so bad at the window I couldn't believe it. I pulled out to a parking lot and walked around, and sure enough a tick was found. The truck only has 23000 miles on it. Is it possible that it developed the tick, because I never noticed it until last week.?

·
MORE! MORE! MORE!
2,914 Posts
WOW......Mine ticks. Hope this will be warrant issue.

·
Registered
294 Posts
DO you all understand what is invovled in changing the exhaust valves??
That means to the top of the motor has to come apart, intake and heads have to come off and the heads have to come apart. Basically doing a valve job. Will be real interesting to see wht happens with this. I am sure chrysler is going to fight, NOT TO HAVE TO FIX THIS.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Hard to believe it took what 4 years to find the cause

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alos from the same guy.

as long as you have warranty left, including powertrain they should cover the repair. just take your truck in and tell them your engine is ticking. tell them you heard about a problem with exhaust valves. also give them the following STAR ONLINE case number: K59926684. with that case number the tech can read what the engineers say. because i work at the dealer ship i was able to get my valves no problems at all. i can't wait to replace them, i'm doing it myself at the shop and i get paid for it. it will only take a day or so to do the job. i'll keep you posted

and as far as a tsb goes, the tsb is only free under warranty. and just because there isn't a tsb and your truck is under warranty the repairs are always free. just give them the case number i listed above. many people are confused about warranty coverage. under 36k everything is covered almost no questions asked. as long as you dont have boost or nitro they will cover it

·
9,640 Posts
In regards to the "STAR ONLINE case number: K59926684" is there anything on the web that we could print out and take to our dealer? I've looked but I can't find anything.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it is chryslers on line system where the can look up things.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
If it is a problem with the exhaust valve stems then how come there is only a single tick ?

You would think they all would be ticking and you would hear 4 ticks or a clacking instead of a ticking

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
very good question... Thats what I was getting ready to say... but you beat me too it.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Murdered out
518 Posts
i have had the valves , lifter, and 5000miles on new heads and i still have tick for about 20 minutes every morning intill it warms up. unless they have changed them in the last 6 months they did not work for me. the best thing i have found for the tick is royal purple 5w20 with no lucas or any additive. i put mobil 1 5w30 and lucas in and it ticked all day long warm cold it didnt matter it ticked

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.