Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
M3GATR0N
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO!!

Cannot say i am more then happy to finally be posting on a thread versus the constant scrolling through past ones trying to find answers!!

Okay so I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab with 4x4 the truck is equipped with a 4.7l V8 Magnum. Now as the title goes i want to do a swap.

After pricing what i could sell mine for and what i would want in a new truck is going for is too much and in my mathematical calculations rebuilding my truck will be cheaper if not the same amount and my truck being 10 times nicer then the stock new one I'd Pick up.
So please do not waste your time telling me to sell and buy a new one, that is not going to be an option at this point..

So originally i was thinking about just opting for a newer 4.7l opening it up and rebuilding it swapping some internals to try and push the power up to hmm maybe 260 280 horsepower i think currently they sit at 235 stock mine now has upgrades but not enough. on top of that i would just supercharge the now built motor and possibly get another 100 if that out of it giving me a hopeful 350 hp 100+ more then i have now but in my whacked mind it still doesn't seem to be enough. Therefore do a Hemi Swap

Many threads show me a few trucks like mine and people swapping motors saying they need this tune that yeah i understand its alot of work but cost wise putting in a stock 03 hemi or newer will have the same horsepower as a worked 4.7l while also being tons more reliable since its not modified.

Same as before though i want to rebuild whatever 5.7l motor before i put her in (this work is done by me). and swap out the tranny to a manual.

In the end the goal is to have a Rebuilt 5.7l Hemi, Rebuilt 5 or 6 spd tranny and rebuilt front and rear differentials with new seals bearings etc. Therefore i have a drivetrain with 0 miles on it after rebuild so kinda like a new truck. Basically a new truck aside from body and suspension components, but the struts were already swapped and the front end slowly getting redone also as we speak.

Now that this has been said ill move on to my main Questions

I want to buy a donor truck obviously to get all the parts for the swap i need, now i am also big into sound systems and my dash needs to be removed anyway to take out my now broken heater core, So what if i literally swapped in the dash from the newer donor truck, i am LITERALLY saying everything in the dash of that truck, gauges, blowers, everything swapped into my soon to be gutted inside of my truck,

so i would have swapped the computers into the truck and everything that made the once hemi in that truck run, would i then have skipped over all the "electrical issues" people have faced ? think about it i pretty much gave the donor truck a new chassis to sit on therefore putting the hemi in everything (with some mods) should connect up.

if not then what can i swap in from that trucks dash that will help while mines apart, like i said the interior is being gutted completely and redone with ceiling sides and flooring along with custom door panels for speakers (done by me) so installing anything to mimic a newer dodge is possible in m opinion.

but i could be wrong so let me know

Heres how i plan to go down.

Buy everything i need stock it all up in a closet
:thatfunny

anyway probably the month of july to take a week off from whatever summer job i currently am in, and begin the tear down. Now I am a college student so i have plenty of time on my hands i am also very mechanically inclined, so i will spend 12 plus hours a day during this week ripping the truck to a walking corpse preparing for the motor install done by my local shop, (whomever i chose to take it to at the time)

So basically will my idea of dash swaps and pretty much and interior swap bypass tuning issues in the future and make the truck OEM for the most part.
IF not what can i do

How much do you think a motor install will be (i plan to remove the 4.7l myself unless shop advises otherwise.)

like i said this will be completed while the interior is still stripped

Please look for my other threads coming soon over my personal build and different items i can make for your trucks too!!!

Thanks a ton GUYS :smile:rck:

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
I hope you have a very large and secure area that can be locked-up for this project. Get the donor truck first and pull everything apart slowly. Buy A-LOT of good strong baggies of different sizes to store every single nut, bolt, washer, and each of the small parts. Using a permanent marker and mark each baggie what's in the bag and where it came from on the truck. Number and match pictures with each of the bags and where it came from. You cannot have too much information later! Box it and mark the boxes as well. Stacey David has a Project Planning Book that would be very helpful as well and you can get it though his web site store. Try to keep the model years the same for the built. In your case, the 3Gen 2002 thought 2005. This will help solve the Johnny Cash Cadillac problems you'll face if you buy different model years and such. Even working on this 12-hours a day, you're in for a big project build here and I hope you nail-it-to-wall. When you get going, start a thread in here to share it with the DT forum.

:dtrocks:

·
M3GATR0N
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome!!

I hope you have a very large and secure area that can be locked-up for this project. Get the donor truck first and pull everything apart slowly. Buy A-LOT of good strong baggies of different sizes to store every single nut, bolt, washer, and each of the small parts. Using a permanent marker and mark each baggie what's in the bag and where it came from on the truck. Number and match pictures with each of the bags and where it came from. You cannot have too much information later! Box it and mark the boxes as well. Stacey David[/URL] has a Project Planning Book that would be very helpful as well and you can get it though his web site store. Try to keep the model years the same for the built. In your case, the 3Gen 2002 thought 2005. This will help solve the Johnny Cash Cadillac problems you'll face if you buy different model years and such. Even working on this 12-hours a day, you're in for a big project build here and I hope you nail-it-to-wall. When you get going, start a thread in here to share it with the DT forum.

:dtrocks:
Hey Dmcelhannon! Thankyou for the quick response, mainly id like to use the donor truck strictly for the interior and wiring. Tho if you watch videos on youtube the dashes for these trucks pull away pretty easy only takes an hour or so and your completely removed, the wires run to the engine from two plugs on one side of dash and one one the other, so i could basially swap in the other trucks dash unit into mine entirely from there just replug the wires connect everything to the steering wheel and i now have the complete complex of the other truck. From there im either removing my motor or allowing the shop to take over and swap motors point being with the new interior unit already made for a hemi the problems the few people whove done the route faced was the tuning and wiring problems.

Also what do you mean by the Johnny Cash Caddilac issues? i know the center bezel is different in the 2005-2009 trucks but the body style is the same so the dashes should line up accordingly, unless your thought is that the connections might be different for the plugs?

And yes i do plan on video documenting everything, like i said project will start this summer and things will slowly be taking place as the summer rolls on ( This starts April 28th for me until August 20th) So i got some time on my hands i know bulk of work will be taking place at a shop) but things like exhaust setups other forms of pre-needed wiring will all be made ready in the coming months towards my initial project,

HA-HA i will definetly be making a build thread for you guys help keep up the motivation!!! Right now i am in the final stages of research and planning. SHould make for an interesting summer

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
The Johnny Cash Cadillac problems were because all the parts he had stolen from the assembly plant over the years were from the many decades he worked there. When he and his friend went to put the car together, none of holes where there or were in the wrong places. One tail fin, two headlights on one side and only one one the other, ect... Johnny Cash even had a car built for the music video and it's pretty comical if you want to watch it on YouTube.

For this to work, you'll need the full wiring harness from the engine compartment and trans including the PCM and then the BUS harness going into the cab. Then you'll need everything from inside the cab as well include the overhead console. The overhead control board inside the 2002 Ram has different programming that any other year. The PCM controls everything from the A/C vents to the gauge cluster. Your biggest problem is the 2002 4.7L engine is a 32-tooth tone ring engine and all the Hemi's are 16. The 2002 Ram also has a ECM and TCM whereas all the Hemi's have a single PCM. All the wiring from your ECM/TCM to the engine and transmission is different and unless you're planning to spend hours pouring over wiring diagrams so you can cut-n-solder a new wiring harness, you'll need everything from the donor truck. Yea, everything should install in place with very few problems but you need all the wiring and parts to do the job right. I do not remember if the conversion was done on a Dak or Ram but he had clearance problems with the brake booster. When he tried to install the Hemi, the valve cover was hitting the booster. It wasn't a real big problem because he had a smaller booster on hand but it's the little things that can slow thing down and cause problems.

Just FYI .... :nerd

·
M3GATR0N
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Johnny Cash Cadillac problems were because all the parts he had stolen from the assembly plant over the years were from the many decades he worked there. When he and his friend went to put the car together, none of holes where there or were in the wrong places. One tail fin, two headlights on one side and only one one the other, ect... Johnny Cash even had a car built for the music video and it's pretty comical if you want to watch it on YouTube.

For this to work, you'll need the full wiring harness from the engine compartment and trans including the PCM and then the BUS harness going into the cab. Then you'll need everything from inside the cab as well include the overhead console. The overhead control board inside the 2002 Ram has different programming that any other year. The PCM controls everything from the A/C vents to the gauge cluster. Your biggest problem is the 2002 4.7L engine is a 32-tooth tone ring engine and all the Hemi's are 16. The 2002 Ram also has a ECM and TCM whereas all the Hemi's have a single PCM. All the wiring from your ECM/TCM to the engine and transmission is different and unless you're planning to spend hours pouring over wiring diagrams so you can cut-n-solder a new wiring harness, you'll need everything from the donor truck. Yea, everything should install in place with very few problems but you need all the wiring and parts to do the job right. I do not remember if the conversion was done on a Dak or Ram but he had clearance problems with the brake booster. When he tried to install the Hemi, the valve cover was hitting the booster. It wasn't a real big problem because he had a smaller booster on hand but it's the little things that can slow thing down and cause problems.

Just FYI .... :nerd
Cool cool okay so i do plan on using a whole new transmission and since im redoing the head liner anyway replacing the over head console ca just get added on. But if i get a transmission built for a hemi ya know like a old manual out of some newer hemi truck then the connections should still line up and run off the single pcm?

But id really like to use the 06 newer models because i love that interior bezel so much more then the early 3rd gen interiors but i love wiring so if some switches are one wrong side connecting them should take some work but ill get it.

I do know though that the hemi will fit right in because the 5.9l can goin my truck and ive seen 2 other builds where they bolted them in no problem the main issue was having to get a new tranny to match up to the motor and figuring out the wiring.

Mainly when i buy the engine separelty from donor truck ill hook up all the wires to it and remove my engine and start cleaning the bay and setting up the conection points for install time.

and what do you mean by 32 tooth tone ring?

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
That would be a good question for the forum because all the auto-to-manual swaps I seen have been for monster tire shredders.

The 1999 to 2002 4.7L engines all had 32-window tone rings. From 2003 up, the engine were 16-window. The tone rings are used to tell the computer when to fire the spark plugs and fuel injectors. That's why you need the PCM from the donor vehicle. On the 4.7L the tone rings are on the crank shaft and the passenger side cam. The one on the crank shaft is in the rear of the engine and has raised lobes instead of windows. The one on the cam, you can see the windows on the tone rear the timing chain.

If you're planning to mix years, I'd talk with the parts guys and service tech at Dodge/Ram. They may be able to help you and let you know what to look for in there.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.