DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search & looked at some of the older threads. Want to ask a few questions on your rigs. I am thinking hard of buying a hemi powered MC. How do you like it so far. I really need the xtra room & don't want a 6.7 diesel MC.
I don't pull any heavy loads & I am very conservative driver. Looking for some true MPG figures for them. I'm thinking 13 or so Hwy with one. I have the truck in the sig & get about 17 on the hwy driving 65 -70. Does anyone have 35's on their MC & what is the mpg for them. Do you feel the truck has enough power for the weight of the rig. Haven't driven one yet,but wanted to get some feedback B4 I went to the dealer. The only ones in my area are 1500's so that is what I would be test driving. THANKS & any info or feedback would be GREATLY Appreciated.

· Registered
251 Posts
I have an 07 Hemi Mega 4x4 - MPG - I coast up to lights don't have a heavy foot - I can get 10-11 in the city - my best hwy was 14.7 at 74 mph - but avg. about 13.5 at 65-70 though on flat stretches I can get 14.5-15.5. Power - when I do put my foot in it it moves just fine - I have no problem passing on the hwy - I am running Maxxis Bighorns right now 305x70x17 which according to their site is a 34.1 in. tire. I have 3.73 gears- I havent driven one with the 4.10's but I would not get another with 3.73 - not enough on the low end constantly downshifting going up the slightest incline - taking off from lights is a pain in the ass - I will be regearing soon - either to 4.10 or 4.56 - mainly to help mpg.

Overall - I love the truck - I don't pull enough to warrant the extra cost of a diesel, and I knew going into the deal that I wasn't going to get great mileage out of the truck though I am hoping with a regear that I will get a little bit better - there is plenty of room in the cab - actually it's kind of ridiculous - I love it - it rides okay - will be upgrading the shocks after I regear to hopefully help out the ride a bit.

I hunt alot so the truck provides the extra room for gear, extra people, and is comfortable on the long hauls - but like I said, don't buy one with the 3.73 rear end - get the 4.10 option - that is my biggest complaint with this vehicle.

Goodluck!

· Registered
1,628 Posts
Your milage expectations are right on... I assume your looking at 4X4's? I'm running the stock BFG's @ 55psi (rated to 85psi) & don't get the street tire on a 4X4.
I couldnt agree more with chongo on the gearing issue, I also have 3.73 and wish it had the 4.10's. The truck has plenty of power the gearing is just a little off, so 4.10 or aftermarket 4.56 is the way to go. I know that sounds way too low but i'm running about 1400 rpm @ 70 Mph. I feel the Hemi's sweet spot is around 2000 rpm so the engine lugs going down the highway. That is my only compliant.

Now if you live in a hot climate you will need to get your windows tinted; the cab is huge and it takes a lot for the ac to cool it off...'08's may be better than my '06 though.

· Registered
282 Posts
I have the 4:10 rear in mine. I average around town-45mph on my drive to work 12 miles one way-12.8. On the highway 55-65mph, I've gotten 14.9-17.3 and I don't romp on it because I need my CDL to keep working. :) I did add a Gibson dual exhaust and that bumped me up about 1mpg. I do tow with mine-about 7500lbs. Hands down the best at towing for any vehicle I've towed my camper with. I don't even know it's back there when going up hills-I cruise right along. There are 5 of us- 2 adults-2 teens and a 9 year old(all girls) and we fit comfortably-we took it from NY-Disney-Myrtle Beach in 2006 and no one started that"she's touching me" garbage-each had enough personal space.

Nell

· Registered
370 Posts
traded my 02 quad in for mine and love. the 4.7 was great but the hemi is great. avg. about 10 city 15 hwy. at 72 mph flat ground. my 4x2 quad was about 4200 lbs and my 4x4 mega 6520 so it's great but not a hot rodder. a friend has a 4x2 reg. cab short bed hemi and thats the way to feel the power. i whish i could have 2, 1 for haul, 1 for play but alas it's not to be. i love my mega! i'm 6,2 and so is my son so we took a trip in the mega and my wife got to ride up front for the first time for a whole trip.the quad was great and the 4.7 made 18 mpg hwy, but it runs out of leg room in the back after a while. the mega may be gone in 09. so buy now or wait and see if the quad gets bigger.the diesel cost more and fuel is higher, the price diff will buy a lot of gas. plus i only drive 6 miles 1 way to work and a diesel needs more run time than that. so love the hemi mega!!!! if ur looking for a 4x2 the milage may be better. live near texas? i spotted some deals on used megas!

· Registered
392 Posts
I have been very happy with mine. The diesel is always tempting for the towing but my hemi/mega has towed fine. If you don't need extra heavy towing capabilities it should be fine. I average anywhere from 9 to 12 around town and 12 to 15 on the highway. I would like for it to have a little more mid-range power but after reading this thread it may be a gearing issue. I have six in my family and my kids are little and they have done fine on long trips. The space behind and under the seats is great for storage and the reclining seats are awesome. Nothing like leaning the seats back and letting the kids sleep on long trips. You sound like you have very realistic expectations and since they may be gone after the 08's it may be the time to get one. I have a year left on my lease and am debating on whether to get a diesel or another hemi. I will wait and see what the 09 crew cabs look like but it is going to be hard to beat all the space and convience the mega offers. Good luck

· Registered
22 Posts
I just picked up a 08 5.7 mc 2 weeks ago to replace a 04 dakota 4.7 the mc is great i have three kids and there is lots of room. It is getting about 11 mpg city but i just lifted it 6in and put 37in toyo so iwill be regearing soon but i would say i have driven worse with stock gearing.

· Registered
44 Posts
Hey guys! I have a 07 single cab 4x2 hemi and I liked the truck but at above I totally needed more room. And gas really was horrid i was avg avout 12 city and 16 Hgy.. I drove the Hemi mega cab.. and it was draggin... I don't pull anything but the consistant shifting and high rpms... I don't think it's going to worth it's weight...

I opted for the 5.7 2007 cummins great motor tons of power and even tho i don't haul anything I do move alot of people.. it doesn't bog that thing down... Totoally worth it ... plus is get 19 mpg highday and 17 in town... can't beat it

· Registered
63 Posts
i love my hemi mega and also see 10 mpg in city and 14-15 on the highway @ 75mph.so far all I towed with it is a couple of quads on a trailer and the bed loaded with camping gear and it pulled fine (better than the gmc w/ the 5.3 motor the mega replaced).the real test will come in the spring when i tow the hotrod on a trailer.
hey steve2 your getting 11 with the 37's? I'm thinking of getting 35's or 37's and can't decide on which to get so would you recommend the 37's with the 3.73 gears or do you have to regear with them. thanks joe

· Registered
33 Posts
I have an '06 1500 4x4 MegaCab with the Hemi (obviously), 4.10s, 285/70-17 tires and Bilstein shocks. I love it. I have had a string of diesels over the years to tow our travel trailer, but we sold it when we bought a cabin about a three hour drive from home. I do not miss the diesels. I am going to respectfully disagree with 'the angry goat's posting here and say that with the 4.10s, I have plenty of power. People complain about not having enough "low end" power, but they are usually comparing their "driveablility issues" to diesels. With the Hemi, go ahead and use the RPM range of the motor. It is a gasoline engine after all. It won't hurt it! I get a combined average of around 12.0 to 12.5 MPG. The kids especially enjoy the rear seat, which frankly is ridiculously large. I find it to be the perfect fly fishing and bird hunting rig for my buddies too.

Stu B

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keep it coming guys. Really APPRECIATE the feedback. I test drove a 1500 MC tonite & was impressed with the truck. Better power than I thought. It had the 3:73's & I see how 4:10's would really help. Gonna be dealing here in the next few days I believe!!

· Registered
22 Posts
I would run 37 for sure! you probly need to regear but i have not yet and wont for awhile .To compare my dad has a 03 diesel Q/C same lift same tires and he thinks mine has good get and and go.I bought my truck two weeks ago and drove it around alot and then lifted it a week later not disapointed at all still drives great.

· Registered
251 Posts
Has anyone with a Mega gone to an aftermarket steering stabilizer, if so which one?

Also - have any of yall done anything to their Mega that has given a no BS improvement in mpg?

I am putting on the true flow XDI on when I get it in and will post up my thoughts once I get it in.

Didn't mean to hijack DUKFVR - but it is rare to have so many mega owners in one spot.

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
chongo said:
Has anyone with a Mega gone to an aftermarket steering stabilizer, if so which one?

Also - have any of yall done anything to their Mega that has given a no BS improvement in mpg?

I am putting on the true flow XDI on when I get it in and will post up my thoughts once I get it in.

Didn't mean to hijack DUKFVR - but it is rare to have so many mega owners in one spot.

Keep asking chongo. I want to know too!

· Registered
58 Posts
I love mine. I tow a large trailer, but only 8 or so times a year. I am getting 11.? around town and 13-15 hiway unloaded. With my 5500lb trailer (19ft enclosed) I get about 9 mpg. It rides soo so, but the extra room is sweet. The Hemi makes plenty of power for this truck. The diesel would be nice, but 8 grand more.... just couldn't justify it.

I would love to get 20mpg, but for a truck this big and heavy, I can live with 11-12. Tint the windows, have the dealer DOUBLE check the AC and you will be pushing nice cold air.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.