DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2003 hemi 1500 i have a slow leak in the radiator but i can fill it up with anti freeze and when stopped at a red ight for a period of time my truck gets hot waht is the cause of this? i need to find out and hate to take it to the blood suckers at the dealerships what could i check on it that might e causing this? Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
can the leak actually be seen coming from the radiator? and not the weep hole of the water pump.

And yes a leak alone can cause over heating, it is supposed to be a pressurized system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hot

The hole is in the plastic piece between the fan and radiator i have lossen the cap so the pressure wont maybe make the hole bigger i guess i just need to gte it fixed

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...you can drive around with your heater turned all the way up (not the fan)...this forces the t-stat open and keeps the system flowin...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well you are overheating because of the leak in the radiator. Like it was mentioned before, the system is supposed to be pressurized and by loosening the cap, you definitetly will overheat. You need to repair the leak on the radiator and that should take care of your overheating problems.

·
Registered
82 Posts
chefred112 said:
...you can drive around with your heater turned all the way up (not the fan)...this forces the t-stat open and keeps the system flowin...
:huh: Umm...am i missing something? Please enlighten me if i am...I thought water temp alone determined when a t'stat opened...i.e. 180, 185, 190 etc...
Did DCX change something? :huh:

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...yes...t-stat's open automatically (no heater) when it reach's the t-stat's given temp setting...however, when you use the heater, it forces the t-stat open to get heat to the exchanger. I've experienced this numerous times when i had a faulty t-stat and engine overheating... i would turn on the heater which manually forced the t-stat to open... enough for me to operate normally as long as I can stand the heat...

·
Registered
82 Posts
is there a mechanical link from the heater control 2 the t'stat?
sorry 'bout the hijack... :nutkick:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.