DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
Hemi5spd said:
you guys talk about these truck like they are 800HP street/strip vehicles with slicks on them. Granted you have to be more catious in the rain but geeze. I'd hate to see some of you behind the wheel of something that actually was fast.
Exactly. Most people can't even handle 100hp in an economy car, let alone a 345hp HEMI....or 800hp tuned vehicle. I owned an '88 mustang fastback and had it tuned with all the goodies. It put down 628hp at the rear wheels. The max vehicle HP ratings for a streetable vehicle in my area are 705hp (at the crank). It was implemented in 1998 to stop street racing...HA. I averaged 0-60mph in the low 3sec range depending on how I executed the launch. If it even looked like it was going to rain outside I wouldn't bother taking the car out to the track. The 'stang always ran goodyear slicks. The only thing the 'stang was good at was driving straight - and even that was sometimes hard to do. I'll never purchase a 2wd truck/car again unless it's as a second vehicle or I move to an area that's always 60F+.

My trucks' full time AWD transfer case slips here and there in snow, its fine in the rain providing you don't slam the pedal down. It has been the best vehicle investment I've ever made. I even made it to my store nearly 2 minutes ahead of the cops last febuary when it was robbed at 3am! I live 3 miles father down the road then the cop shop too...sad stuff.

·
Registered
533 Posts
it rained last night pretty good in my area, and i took the truck out this morning. i have noticed that if you stomp the pedal the back end kicks out real good, especially if your on a turn. i also hit the mud, and i was doing donuts with hardly any pedal. it was awesome. my other truck is a 1995 GMC turbo diesel suburban, and i've only had the power wagon for about 4 months. i'm still getting used to the power.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you have anything resembling throttle control I can't imagine traction in rain being a problem. If you have enough power to spin them with higher gears I actually find lower gears easier to keep from spinning in the slick stuff. I guess it's because the rear tires don't try to speed up as fast for a given rate of engine acceleration.

Powerful RWD cars in snow on the other hand (like my Impala with 275/40 high performance tires)... I don't even bother to try and keep them from spinning... I just put my foot in it and do my best to keep it pointed straight :D

·
Registered
533 Posts
Cargun said:
If you have anything resembling throttle control I can't imagine traction in rain being a problem. If you have enough power to spin them with higher gears I actually find lower gears easier to keep from spinning in the slick stuff. I guess it's because the rear tires don't try to speed up as fast for a given rate of engine acceleration.

Powerful RWD cars in snow on the other hand (like my Impala with 275/40 high performance tires)... I don't even bother to try and keep them from spinning... I just put my foot in it and do my best to keep it pointed straight :D

throttle control as in trying to behave ourselves and not floor it once in a while? or throttle control like..... well actually i'm not sure what the point is.

all kidding aside, i do get your point as to having some control with lower gears. i just was amazed at how easy it is to break free on the wet road. like i stated earlier, maybe it has something to do with driving a diesel for the past few years.

·
I pickle they.
737 Posts
I had to be cautious while driving in the rain with my truck... Seriously. Especially trying to merge into traffic... Going sideways is fun when you're trying to, but scary and embarrasing in traffic... It's not bad if you pay attention and remember that it's raining and you are in a truck with zero wait over the rear wheels... It was fun in the snow in empty parking lots though... I miss my truck :banghead:.

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
wow thanks for all the input guys i guress ill be having them installed durring the weekend of the 7th.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It's a "TRUCK THING" - Get used to it!!

Git Ur foot off the gas..... :cool:

:IDEA:
Or...try airing down your tires and putting 250lbs of weight in the bed.

No wait....that'll just make you wanna step on the gas MORE. :D

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.