DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! Long time watcher, first time poster....have some questions....

I've got a 97 Ram 1500 318 4x4 that I use to pull some heavy duty stuff (I've actually carted my buddie's 91 dakota on a trailer!) I know the engine can take the load, but the rear end sags A LOT. I've heard that putting in a helper spring or an add-a-leaf kit in the rear would help that out. What do you guys think? Also, if I do put in the kit, do I also have to put in a front leveling kit? If so, what does that involve?

Any info/advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mavrick

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
I put healper springs in the rear of a 89 2wd V6 Dakota. Took about 30 min for both sides, if that. Very easy installation. I did not have to do anything to the front end. That truck is the work truck I drive at work (not mine) and tows tons of stuff. It's towed up to a 14,000lbs generator. Wouldn't go over 30 and barely stopped but it towed it. The healper springs did help it stay more level. I can't remember the brand I used.

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
You can get overload springs that mount on top of your leaf pack. They only work when there is a load present. They dont effect unloaded rise hieght or ride quality. Thats the way I would go

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will a helper spring affect ride quality? if so, how?
i'm assuming they will lift the rear of the truck...how much? If i want to keep the whole truck looking even, i'm assuming i need a leveling kit in the front? what's a good one/where to get one?

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
The helper springs I installed did not affect ride quality at all. They didn't lift the rear of the truck either. They only work when there is a load in the truck. Same as overload springs as V10Sport suggested. My truck came with overload spring when I bought it. Rides like a normal truck. I have filled my truck with wet snow in the back making it even with the cab and the truck only sank 1"-2" same as when I had it filled with sand.
I would also agree with V10Sport as to get the Overload springs. Besides he knows everything about suspensions systems. Can't go wrong with his advise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.