DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help!!!

678 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BleedDodge 
#1 ·
I've got a big rear axle question. Whats cheaper, rebuild or replace whole axle? I've got a 97 1500 xtended cab 5-peed with the 9.25 with 3.55 gears. Damn thing locked up on me yesterday. Pulled the diff cover today and found one tooth from the ring gear and a few shards that I haven't figured out where they came from. Looks like the pinion bearing went out because the chunk is eat all to hell where the pinion was hitting it. I know it was serviced before because the id tag is missing. Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
well if you have the ability to do the rebuild yourself then the rebuild is cheaper. I believe a new ring and pinion is like $140 and a bearing kit is another $100. As long as you do it yourself then the rebuild total will be less than $300. However if you cant set the backlash or have never done one then getting a local shop that is reputable to do it for you will probably be about the same as buying a new axle. The up side however is now is the time for a locker a re-gear. Just my $.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.