DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Pressured Commonrail
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 99 2500, i can not get it to run. it cranks fine, but just will not run. when the switch is turned on, the wait to start light does not work, and there is a buzzing sound coming from the asd relay. i have tried several new relays as well as trying a working ECM out of a truck thats the same year with the same specs. i tryed to read the codes off the odometer and it came up No BuS. also tryed a code reader and it wouldnt connect with the truck. i have no clue were to go from here....any help would be appreciated

·
Pressured Commonrail
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the engine ran fine, it was parked for about 3 weeks when i discovered this problem, and everything has been the same on it for 2 years, i thought about maybe the pump, but it went out like 3 years ago and it didnt show any symptoms this time that it did last time

·
Pressured Commonrail
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
havent checked the pressure, but im pretty sure it isnt sending power to the pump, from what i have read and/or heard the asd relay shuts the fuel pump off stopping the motor. ive replaced the relay and the powerboard the relay plugs into is just a circuit, so im not sure what could be causing the relay to buzz. when you turn the switch on all the dash lights come on except the wait to start, and you cant hear the lift pump prime.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The lift pump might be junk.
Disconnect the lift pump wiring connector and see if the ASD relay quits buzzing.
You'll have to use a reader to get your trouble codes. The key trick is 2000 & newer.

·
Pressured Commonrail
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i tryed using a code reader and it wouldnt connect to the truck computer

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
You'll need a code reader compatable with Dodges.
Does the connector not fit the Dodge piece?...I though all OBDII had to be a standard connector as well as codes.

·
Pressured Commonrail
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the connector fits fine, i should have said it wouldnt link with the trucks computer, sorry about the confusion...im gonna try cleaning all connections and try disconnecting the lift pump today....ill let ya know my findings tomorrow

·
Pressured Commonrail
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, i disconnected the lift pump with no change. i dont believe there is any power going to the fuel system....also checked all fuses again

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The ECM powers the lift pump and the '98.5-'99's didn't do a good job of it...lots of folks thought their lift pumps were junk. You might wire the lift pump to the battery just to get a motor start then start looking for a circuit the keyswitch will turn on or at least activate then you can build a relay with the keyswitch for signal and battery for DC power.

·
Pressured Commonrail
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The ECM powers the lift pump and the '98.5-'99's didn't do a good job of it...lots of folks thought their lift pumps were junk. You might wire the lift pump to the battery just to get a motor start then start looking for a circuit the keyswitch will turn on or at least activate then you can build a relay with the keyswitch for signal and battery for DC power.
but this wouldnt explain why the ASD relay is still clicking even w an ECU change, im pulling batteries and cleaning everything up including grounds, will be troubling shooting wiring starting w ASD relay and back to feeds and grounds. if anyone could email me a Schematic thats better than the one in Haynes i would greatly appreciate it. ty

[email protected]

·
Pressured Commonrail
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The more i mess with the truck im thinking ECM is fried. Getting one ASAP to try, will let you guys know.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Generally relays do not buzz, electric lifts pumps yes, relays no. Sounds like the truck is trying to start and stop at the same time. May just be a short some where in the harness. Only think I can suggest is try and trace the wires from the relay back to the ECM.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Let's see if this is big enough....it's for an '01.

Looks like the ASD is for the VP44, still for an '01.

·
Pressured Commonrail
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i got a real nice schematic from a local shop, shows the pins and all for the PCM, ECM, and relays. thanks tho guys. like i said im trying an ECM before i do anything else. appreciate it tho millions

·
Pressured Commonrail
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Wtf

well im back with not so wonderful news. tried ECM off another 99 auto truck and same thing. checked the 50 pin connector that goes into ECM, i.e. all the powered pins and everything checked out. my buddy came over to help a lil, he has a gas 1500 auto and he did the hold the trip button for 5 sec, and it spit out a 920, 921 and 999 code. no wait to start light still and asd relay buzzing its f%cking head off. cranks but no power to electrical side of fuel system. lift pump checks out fine, do you guys think maybe crank position sensor? Gauge cluster? so im down to almost takin it to the Dealership......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The factory service manual doesn't show a 920, 921 or 999 trouble codes. Try getting it scanned with a scan tool. Have you tried to run the lift pump with just battery power just to be sure the engine starts & runs?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.