Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck: 2005 Dodge 1500 Q/C 5.7 4X4

I'm trying to install a new LED 3rd brake light to replace my stocker. When I plugged it in, it did not work. The reverse light would come on randomly and the actual brake light will not. I cut the harnesses off and I'm trying to wire it in directly but I can't get it to work. I'm really bad with wiring and if you guys could have a look at the pics and help me decide which wire goes to which (I've tried a lot of combos with no success). I've even connected the wires exactly as they looked going into the harness as I thought the harness itself might have had an issue, but no dice. Top harness is truck, bottom is new light.

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
Thought I could help you but I have a different color scheme for some reason on my 2007. One of wires is going to be power when the brake is pressed. Find that with a test light. One of the middle black wires should be a ground. Find that with a test light and there will be your power and ground....

My power wire was the tan one pointing with my test light. Maybe the white with tan is yours....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks man. Checked the fuse box and sure enough, my brake light fuse is blown. I'm gonna have to wait until tomorrow to get an extra one to see if it was the cause which I highly speculate

·
BEE Ready!
1,274 Posts
Fuse didn't help. I'm starting to think the brake light itself doesn't work.
It won't ever work, and if you get it to, TELL ME HOW!!!

I have tried many many times to get my aftermarket 3rd to work and every time it blows the fuse. I thought maybe it was the light, but my buddy has the same led light on his truck, so I hooked mine up and it worked perfectly.

I have been pissed at this thing for so long. By chance, in the stock housing, is there a chrome plastic piece that is melted a bit?

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
I'll go get my multimeter out and see if I can find out. If there are 4 wires, it makes me think 2 grounds and 1 positive brake and 1 positive cargo wire.

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
Here ya go! If you look at the wiring for the stock light, you can just trace the wires from the harness to the brake light bulb. If it's blowing your fuse as soon as you plug the light in, then there's a problem with the actual brake light itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So from your diagram, the yellow and the white wires coming from the new brake light are the brake and cargo light. The 2 middle ones, black and white/brown stripe should be the grounds. I just have to figure out which wire is the brake wire and which is the cargo lamp wire.

I'm going to test the wires this weekend to see what's goin on. Who knows, my brake wire could be completely dead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.